• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors cumberland county NC, NFA friendly?

Re: cumberland county NC, NFA friendly?

Not the case. Their are plenty of folks here with suppressors, etc. done without a trust. Depends on the sheriff. Several good class III shops around the state also.

or if you know somebody that has a LLC or buisness on the side....

what are some nfa dealers near brag? i was told you should not do a trust in nc because it could get you into hot water, somthing about nc law does not recognize them as a legal means of ownership...

Gunners Choice in Dunn is who I use......maybe a 40 minute drive at most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding, unless it has changed, is that NC is not NFA friendly no matter what part of the state you are in.
</div></div>
Shoot4fun: Your understanding is not correct, it depends on what county in our great state you live in.
I know, we have been doing CIII/NFA since 1986.

Phil,
Don't know where my info came from but it was generalized for the entire state. It left me thinking that NC didn't like NFA. It is apparently like AL where state law allows ownership but each chief law enforcement officer has final say as to whether or not they will sign off on the forms.
Luckily, my small town LEO has always been supportive of my NFA ownership. And so has the sheriff for my county.
BTW, do you still compete on the USPSA circuit?
Jerry

Phase 5 is a class 3, Guns Plus, Minuteman and I know a guy here in Sanford all within an hour of Bragg.

Jerry: Thanks for the reply. Yes, shoot local matches, haven't been to the Nationals now in 7 or so years. I still like shooting my 625 smith wheel gun!!!

Our local club just had a falling out with our former range owner..after the club spent a lot of time and money building it for him!!!

NC NFA laws are pretty straight forward, must have permit from the Sheriff of the county. Chief of Police will not do. Thus as we have 100 county's we literally have 100 different opinions. Most seem to take each on a case by case basis. If the individual has a clean record and has his ducks in a row, generally not a problem. Especially in the western part of the state.

But, we have several dealers lately that are really about to get the pooch screwed with "NFA Trust."

And the guy that makes the decisions (or better term: is tasked with interpreting the somewhat vague statues) is a friend, USPSA and 3-gun shooter...but these threads want to make him the bad guy. NC statues put a suppressor in the same category and bombs & grenades: Weapons of mass death & destruction. But who ever said politicians were smart!

Hey, a State Trooper gives you a ticket for 75 in a 55. But, officer the interstates were build in the 60s & 70s. Designed for 70-75 mph traffic with 60s technology and Bias ply tires (or Tars as we say it here in the mountains) The trooper probably agrees 100%, but until the politicians change it, he is just doing his job.

What about you?

Take Care:

Phil