• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curious about Silver State Armory .308 ammo

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I was looking at some factory loads for my .308 rifle and came across a good price on some Silver State Armory .308 165gr Nosler Accubond. I'm not that familiar with SSA in .308 rounds. Does anyone have experience with them or could anyone give me some input/reviews on SSA ammo in .308?

Thanks.

You searched for: silver state - MidwayUSA

I would start there and look at their various reviews on their different ammo. I have shot their 7.62x51 NATO from my SASS and the gun loves it. The 5.56 ammo is decent, but I prefer black hills. Is it superb ammo? In my opinion, no. But is it decent good ammo? Yes.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Any others that are familiar with this ammo or have some reviews/comments? Thanks.

I have not shot the 165 but have shot a lot of the 168, 175 ammo ike stated above its good some times better but not black hills

I did a .223/5.56 review of various match grade 69 and 77 ammo and the 40rds off SSA 5.56 77gr OTM Match was horribly unreliable. Out of the 40rds fired 10 failed to fire after perfect primer strikes. The 30 that did fire were accurate. No other ammo, factory or match handloads failed to fire out of my WOA 1:7 Recce rifle. I complained to SSA and got a reply from Nosler who paid for return shipping of the ammo. Told me this ammo was discontinued when Nosler bought SSA and sent me some 64gr bonded SP ammo. I might be 1 in a million case that got 2 bad boxes of ammo but it put a bad taste in my mouth. Nosler told me the head spacing on the cases was a tad short which is why it failed to fire.

Last edited:
I bought some from Cabelas at a good price and I will never be buying any SSA garbage ever again. The .308 I bought was absolutely horrible. The accuracy was very poor and it seemed very inconsistent. One shot would seem normal then the next seemed a little hot and I'd get sticky bolt lift. Some had flattened primers and one had gas leaking around the primer.

A friend of mine got .260 ammo in SSA brass and the brass was total garbage. I'm not impressed by SSA. I've got another box left of it and would seriously give it away before I would shoot it again.

Curious about Silver State Armory .308 ammo

We'll I guess this would explain why Midway has some .308 SSA in 165gr accubond for $19.99. I wondered why it was so cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk