• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Current Les Baer pistols quality

I have had 1911s pass through my hands. Spent an entire summer while TDY to Temecula, CA tearing pistols down for Armand Swenson, who built 3 pistols for me (alas, sold/traded). I still have 2pistols Jim Hoag built for me, as well as a Springfield GSP that Chuck Rogers resurrected., as well as a couple of Kimbers reworked by Dane Burns. For an off-the shelf “custom” 1911, I would recommend Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom. For a 9mm 1911, I would repeat myself, as my Wilson and Nighthawk 9s have been totally reliable. If not a single-stack,then I would look no further than Wilson’s EDC9. I have an EDC9 L that is amazing. Still trying to find an ACRO P2 for it…

Reactions: Kingbird87
What's a 1911?
1658437591555.jpeg

Full disclosure, I love Glocks too. But I love this meme.

Les hasn't changed the way he makes 1911's this past millennium, you'll still have to rack the action with a mash hammer the first time out and the bluing will fall off after you look at it wrong....
I'd absolutely get another and for the most part I've grown out of 1911's that cost more than $2k....

I love 1911s and have several LB pistols. I haven't bought another 1911 in about three years, but I think the current "sweet spot" for price/performance is the Dan Wesson Valor. Very well made and fitted. However, the newest models have a square trigger which offends my aesthetics! My good friend, 1911 smith, and former nationally-ranked IPSC shooter has looked them over and also pronounced them excellent.

Was pulled into this because of my search on "Les Baer". I have a 1911, a .308, Grendel 6.5, and a .223, all from Les Baer. I'm not a great handgun user, but love the accuracy of his longguns. I also had reason to work through their customer serivice, and cannot compliment Les Baer enough on their follow up and support.

I’m a huge Les Baer fan. My Baer is my best 1911 in the stable. I prefer it even to my Springfield custom. I also have a nighthawk 9mm 1911, another great gun. All in all, I think you get what you pay for in the semi custom guns. I think you’ll be good with any of the major makes. It just depends on what features you want in your gun, and that will steer you to the guns you want. For example, I NEED front strap checkering. So anything without that drops off the list lol.