• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom Axiom Action???

KS ,
I've had this happen with other actions in MPAs ,mccrees ,rock solids . The only chassis I know of is a KRG they have slotted receiver holes to allow for these issues . You should always check any part fitment you hang on a firearm since there is not really a standard for custom parts.
I have used shims to solve this issue behind recoil lugs and rear tang area due to deflection . The correct way to remedy this is to bed the chassis for a stress free mating surface .
The guys at Curtis Customs are doing a hell of a job With this venture giving us shooters another opinion to choose from with a great price point . I'm a convert to the Curtis due to there Customer service and awareness ,with the willingness to improve and refine there product .
-GW-

Yes, there is a standard. It's called a Rem 700 footprint. This issue wasn't caused by a stack up of tolerances, or incompatibility of parts, it was caused by an additional .050 worth of extended tenon between the actions face, and the screw holes. (The trigger pins are .050 farther rearward also.)
​​​ Why would I want to take a chassis that was designed to have any "700" dropped directly into it, and bed it so that it is bastardized to only 1 receiver in order to make a "correct" repair? Almost everybody I know with chassis or mini chassis switch barreled actions back and forth on a regular basis, plus the resale value of that chassis just fell to almost nothing.
I do agree, Joel corrected the bolt issue we had very quickly, and the action looks and feels nice, at a price that is very competitive. I almost bought 1 for myself the week previous, and even after the 3hrs of aggregation in taking other rifles apart to measure and compare shit to find the issue, I'm still considering one of the corrected revisions.

KS ,
Do you happen to have the standardize specs for a
" Rem 700 foot print " ? I would like to have a copy so if I face a rem 700 action I will have to standard spec to start relocating action screw holes to the rear . Plus this standard " Rem 700 Footprint" would have saved you
"Three hours of taking other rifles apart to measure and compare shit "
I was just stating that when putting parts together from different manufactures there maybe fitment issues and that I like the idea that KRG has with the slotted action screw hole to avoid these type of issues .Im glad Joel resolved your issues with the action.
-GW-

KS ,
Do you happen to have the standardize specs for a
" Rem 700 foot print " ? I would like to have a copy so if I face a rem 700 action I will have to standard spec to start relocating action screw holes to the rear . Plus this standard " Rem 700 Footprint" would have saved you
"Three hours of taking other rifles apart to measure and compare shit "
I was just stating that when putting parts together from different manufactures there maybe fitment issues and that I like the idea that KRG has with the slotted action screw hole to avoid these type of issues .Im glad Joel resolved your issues with the action.
-GW-

And the only point I was making is that some of these Axiom receivers have a large enough dimensional discrepancy that you can measure it with a ruler, and they will not fit into a chassis system the way they are supposed to without a pretty invasive modification.
If you can't grasp why that is an issue, then having the standard dimensions will do you no good.
I'm glad you like the KRG design, but I'm not sure they would have even had enough room to clear. Cary on with bedding recoil lugs into chassis if you like, whatever works for you.
Like Joel said a few post previous, they have fixed the issue on the latest revision, and the new ones should fit just fine. I'm glad for that, because they do seem to be a really nice piece.

Edit to clarify. The discrepancy I mentioned was between the Axiom and a 700, that changes the action screws locations. It was not a QC issue, the early ones were designed that way.

Last edited:
Could someone give a heads up if they're going to go controlled round feed and have mechanical ejection instead of plunger. Never liked plungers, dirt, grease whatever tends to bind things up at the wrong time - like with the early BH models before tl3s.

Anything on the bolt and firing pin dissassembly would be good. Not a lot fo anything useful on the website and not had a response to emails yet.

Could someone give a heads up if they're going to go controlled round feed and have mechanical ejection instead of plunger. Never liked plungers, dirt, grease whatever tends to bind things up at the wrong time - like with the early BH models before tl3s.

Anything on the bolt and firing pin dissassembly would be good. Not a lot fo anything useful on the website and not had a response to emails yet.

I've not heard any of this honestly. Did you read or hear of this somewhere? That would be amazing. Really only things i would change about my Tempest is mechanical ejector and floating bolt head. If i had to pick floating bolt head for a multi-cartridge rifle.

no, not any data, just a "Dear Santa" list. I saw Curtis' other thread and I get where he's coming from. I personally don't see mech ejector as a 'me too' but if that bolt can be easily field stripped and cleaned then he's right, plunger's not an issue either.

It's worth keeping an eye on it. If they can keep the price less than 'tactical ferrari' they'll have a winner.

Anyone done a dasher yet? If so how's the feeding extracting? Do you need to run the spacers in the mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a good buddy that's running Dasher in the Axiom.It's running really well for him, he's tearing it up. He uses the Primal Rights kit in AICS mags. I think he had to do a bit of work on the feed lips of the mag relating to how high the mag sits in the action. If it sits too high the bolt can clip the feed lips. That's going to be different from gun to gun so just something to keep an eye on.

Anyone done a dasher yet? If so how's the feeding extracting? Do you need to run the spacers in the mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I did was a Dasher. Feeding BR cases out of an aics was sketchy at first, but it's not the actions fault. Dashers with a spacer work fine. It ejected both of them well.

Been reading all evening about the Curtis and the Tempest. I've been out of the game for a little while now. Haven't been reading SH and/or doing much shooting to speak of. Recently found out there are PRS club type matches held monthly an hour from me, so I'm going to get a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creed and start in the production division (hopefully I can put my Huber on it and still be counted as production). Now that 6mm Creedmoor is available in factory loads (very little time with shop and family....reloading is not an option right now), I am going to sell some things so I can get a 6mm Creed custom built. I had planned all along on using a Tempest because of the 60 degree throw, and because I've had other GAP rifles. After a few hours of reading tonight, I'm surprised to see that the Tempest appears to be hit or miss, but the Curtis seems to be pretty much all good. Might be switching over to the Curtis. What's the wait on these right now?

stuck between waiting on the vector to come out or just getting the axiom that they have in stock at curtis.

I was in the same spot. I heard from Alamo that the Vector may not come out for a while. They said they couldnt give much of an ETA because there has been several setbacks/changes so all they can say is it will be released sometime next year, my guess is towards the end. But who knows. Ive decided to just go ahead and grab the Axiom. That way i know if i like it, i will like the Vector (cuz theyre going to be similair on the inside), and if i dont like the Axiom, then i know ahead of time.

I was in the same spot. I heard from Alamo that the Vector may not come out for a while. They said they couldnt give much of an ETA because there has been several setbacks/changes so all they can say is it will be released sometime next year, my guess is towards the end. But who knows. Ive decided to just go ahead and grab the Axiom. That way i know if i like it, i will like the Vector (cuz theyre going to be similair on the inside), and if i dont like the Axiom, then i know ahead of time.

I spoke to Joel from Curtis and he was telling me hopefully january but you do have a good point the only thing that is holding me back from the axiom was the non intergrated recoil lug.

The Vector will be out in the next few months.. the only difference between the Vector and the Axiom is the Vector has an integrated lug and rail, and has a feature that allows for switching barrels without any specialized tools.
Both actions are made to the same tolerances on the same machines.

Thanks for all the support guys.

And as always, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions. [email protected]

DAMMIT Joel i guess the surgeon will be finding a new home soon to make room for the vector!!

Ah! Looks like i spoke too soon. If it comes out before spring id be mighty pleased. Would love to give it a try, and im pretty sure im gunna love it.
in the meantime i have an Axiom to play with!

Will the Vector short action be able to go from 5.56 to 300 WSM?

Hi Jerry. Tenon will be longer on the Vector, but if you are into easy barrel swaps, the Vector will have you covered...

Stay tuned. I think they will be releasing more info in the coming weeks. Follow their FB page to get the scoop when they show it off.

Last edited:
I've got two full DLC versions coming this week. I'm building a 6.5 and 6, both in 47 flavor.

when are you going to upload a video showing the 6.5x47l? how are you likeing the timney ce 2 stage? im ordering a 1 this week. btw placed an order with joel and told him you recommended the axiom to me.

I am having a new action built in dasher, can my axion be upgraded to the vector later?

Unfortunately it can’t. Bright side is that if you’re LE or MIL, I’’ll extend a10% discount if and when you order a Vector.

when are you going to upload a video showing the 6.5x47l? how are you likeing the timney ce 2 stage? im ordering a 1 this week. btw placed an order with joel and told him you recommended the axiom to me.

I've spent most of my time shooting the 6 the last half of this year. The 6.5 is the easy button, in fact, I just did a full chamber set back on it and its lights out. I just haven't played with it much since it's winter and hunting season, I've got my night time rigs dropped in my chassis at the moment. I'll post up some more videos when the Vector gets out. I'll have to fit up a 6 and 6.5 to it with its easy switch barrel option just because.

new MPA in 300 Norma has Curtis listed as Action. you guys putting out Lapua sized bolts in LA now? or soon?

Nice thread...
Are there any details about the Vector quick change barrel operation? I'm curious how that will work

Scott

Is it worth waiting for a full DLC short action? The partials are in stock and the fulls are back ordered. Is the difference in operation that noticeable?

With all the new shot show releases- particularly of the ARC nucleus. Does anybody have any opinions on the Nucleus versus this action?

I just ordered an Axiom. Anyone know if it fits the XLR chassis systems, like the Evolution or Envy?

Anybody running one of these? How are they stacking up? Gunsmiths how do they look, running true?
Yes, I just had a custom 6.5 PRC built with a Curtis Axiom action in a rem. 700 SA format. Love this precision silky smooth as action. Well built and beautiful.