• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom Axiom Action???

Built on several. Everything has been sub 1/4 moa. Their first batch was not as refined as more expensive actions but they've made some great strides in improving the product. I talk to chase several times a week and the improvements they've made are good. The bolt lift is very nice especially for a three lug. I'm about to put a 308 together for a customer and after that I'll likely sell my mausingfield and build me another 6 creed on an axiom.

Reactions: LRTI
I have had the privilege of running a Curtis Axiom for the last three PRS style matches. As mentioned above they have made a few tweaks but this action keeps running strong. I have been impressed on how it feels. It feels very solid and smooth. It has feed flawless over the three matches and during the practice sessions.

I can not speak to "trueness" as I am not a gunsmith, but if "trueness" has anything to do tight accuracy, then yes its True. I am running one in a 6-47 lapua and it has been very accurate.

The bolt lift feels very good for a three lug. The one I am running is not quite as light as my Defiance that I had ran for years but not by much. Durning a competition and on the clock shooting I do not notice the difference. The lift is smooth and fast!

The one I am running now is uncoated and the new one set to arrive shortly will be fully DLC coated and I hear it makes it even better. Since the one I am running now is good I can not wait to see the improvements.

I am happy to answer any other questions, but I have been impressed!
Willys46

Willys46 DSC02200.jpgDSC02204.jpg

Attachments

• photo60187.jpg
    photo60187.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 354
  • photo60188.jpg
    photo60188.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 443
  • Love
Reactions: Jorey
I won one at the MPA matches in April. I will have it in my hands this week. It is a full DLC action with the latest upgrades. I am very excited to give it a run. Now to figure out what to do with it, .308, another 6.5, or a 6br?

Tell you what, I'll set one up in the lathe and indicate the bolt raceway and then run the indicator on the breechface and see what we come up with.

I won one at the MPA matches in April. I will have it in my hands this week. It is a full DLC action with the latest upgrades. I am very excited to give it a run. Now to figure out what to do with it, .308, another 6.5, or a 6br?

6 creed! Give me a shout if you need a barrel chambered for it

First time ive looked at em'. They almost look like Defiance actions. How smooth are they? I really like the pricepoint, especially for a fully DLC'd one!
And a 60 degree lift? I cant see any downsides. Im very interested to see what the gunsmiths thing regarding trueness.

They're extremely smooth. I'll give you a dollar if you can get one to bind. It's also the nicest 60-deg bolt lug I've ever felt. Like butter.
I measured the bolt lift with a digital scale. Far from scientific but I marked an equal distance from the bolt body to where the scale attached to the handle and roughly where you'd grab it. The axiom had a 6.5 pound lift(feels like nothing) the surgeons were about 8-9 badger 12, ai 8, the only action I tried that had a lighter bolt lift was the lone peak fuzion. I haven't tried a tempest but if it's better I'd be amazed.

Nervous I am running the MPA chassis. I was a die hard Manners guy and had ran the T4A for years and this was the first chassis that made me switch. It is a nice chassis for competition use. I will stick with the Manners on my hunting gun!

Well shit guys... I'm getting a little too excited for this action. I just built a new rifle too!..... Just when I thought I was done.....
And what's worse, in the back of my mind, I know that the fact that this action doesn't have an integrated recoil lug, means that it's a prime candidate for a SwitchLug build....

Anyone know if the bolt stop is supported by the action body?
And, if the lift is lighter, howsabout the closing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Podigga
Well shit guys... I'm getting a little too excited for this action. I just built a new rifle too!..... Just when I thought I was done.....
And what's worse, in the back of my mind, I know that the fact that this action doesn't have an integrated recoil lug, means that it's a prime candidate for a SwitchLug build....

Anyone know if the bolt stop is supported by the action body?
And, if the lift is lighter, howsabout the closing?

bolt stop is supported by action body not a small pinnlike some designs. Bolt closing is smooth too. Why not use the factory lug for a switch barrel set up?

I just received my barreled action this weekend and in the chassis last night. Bare receiver and DLC bolt on mine. I was very satisfied with the bolt lift for a 3 lug 60 degree bolt setup, very smooth...especially after 50-100 cycles. I could tell it was getting better and better, so after some break in time I'm very excited to see what this receiver feels like. It's already a winner.

I've got two full DLC versions coming this week. I'm building a 6.5 and 6, both in 47 flavor.

bolt stop is supported by action body not a small pinnlike some designs. Bolt closing is smooth too. Why not use the factory lug for a switch barrel set up?

Sweet! Thanks for thw info.
And i mean the SwitchLug by West Texas Ordnance. They have a lug design that allows you to switch barrels as easily as an AI rifle with an allen wrench. But it requires use of their custom lug.
And their lug needs to be pinned to the action, so while actions with integral lugs work, they have a hard time fitting into chassis becuase the integral lug+switchlug would need a recoil pocket over .5 inches.

Understand what you mean. Wasn't thinking about you wanting to do a quick barrel change system.

They have been nothing but amazing to talk with on the phone or through text to answer questions, I can't imagine them not standing behind the product if something were to happen. You won't make it very long in this competitive industry if you don't...

Friend of mine has one coming DLC'd or maybe even some new coating that Chase is trying out, he sent me a screenshot that said it was like DLC on steroids but i have no idea what it is. I'll be sure to mess with it and compare it to my DLC'd tempest next time we shoot. Only con i can really see from a personal standpoint is the bolt handle and motion. I'm of the belief if you're going to run a smaller angled cocking action that a swept back bolt handle is a must. It just seems like it'd be uncomfortable to start at the same angle as the remington but finish 30 degrees short when cocking. I know my sako 85 is. I'd still like to try one, having the same starting angle as a 700 does bode well for hunting if you need to pack it out. For comp i'd just like to see a swept back bolt handle offered.

I'm fortunate to have a sponsorship deal with Chase and Curtis Custom and have gotten to know him well over the past year. I took delivery of two Axiom yesterday. Got right to work and barreled up and Muller 7 twist in 6-47. These actions are slick and the bolt lift is light as hell. Not just for a 3 lug, but any custom that I've handled. I don't know if its because of the 90 degree through burnt into my brain, but it cocks so smoothly and lightly that it almost feels like its not even cocking, it is really good and I think it takes less effort to cock than my 20 yr old trued Remmy that is well worn and smooth. Of course these are initial impressions, but it sure seems badass.
IMG_7239.gifIMG_7209.gifIMG_7212.gifIMG_7214.gifIMG_7215.gifIMG_7216.gifIMG_7217.gifIMG_7218.gifIMG_7219.gifIMG_7220.gif

Reactions: Danattherock
No sir, but they are based out of Texas just south of Dallas.

I spoke with them on the phone (Alamo Precision) and they are great people to talk to! Very friendly and super informative. He answered all my questions. Now to contemplate the next build...

Anyone compared this action to a Tempest? Both 60 degrees, im curious as to which feels better because ive heard good things about the Tempest as well, supposedly they did some things to make the Tempest throw light too?

Anyone compared this action to a Tempest? Both 60 degrees, im curious as to which feels better because ive heard good things about the Tempest as well, supposedly they did some things to make the Tempest throw light too?

If you've ever handled a traditional 3-lug like a Sako 85 you know exactly how terrible the bolt lift can be on them. The 85 might be a rather extreme example but you could hold a gun to my head and i couldn't run that action fast without throwing the rifle off target or nearly tipping it over. The original idea behind the tempest was an action in a 700 footprint with all the benefits of a 3-lug with none of the drawbacks. So larger bolt, more purchase on the shell when feeding, ability to reliably use double stack/double feed magazines without modification, and then a very light bolt lift. Granted the bolt lift/cam over changes a little depending up on the sear engagement and what trigger/hanger you're using.

The Axiom is supposed to alleviate those issues associated with 3-lug actions as well, though i still think it needs a swept bolt handle.

Last edited:
The Axiom is supposed to alleviate those issues associated with 3-lug actions as well, though i still think it needs a swept bolt handle.

Agreed. A fried of mine had a beta model to test out and I suggested that exact thing. The action cycles really nicely, but the handle is a little obtrusive. That's pretty much the only bad thing you can say about the action, though.

Wow! I have been running a Axiom for a couple months now and it has impressed me, I just picked up my Fully DLC coated one today. To say the DLC coating is impressive is a understatement. I have been running a "naked" action and this DLC coating is amazing. It is so smooth and makes the action look extremely well finished. It has even made the bolt lift even lighter.

Just for comparisons I have been running a melonighted Defiance Deviant for years and thought it was pretty smooth, which it is, I have had NO complaints on how that action feels, but running them side by side the Axiom is as smooth or smoother. I can not get the Axiom to bind even if I try.

If I was ordering a AXIOM right now I would do full DLC coating without question.

As for the tempest vs Axiom debate. Yes they are both three lugs but its really hard to compare them as apples to apples. The Tempest is a smooth bolt design and the Axion has race ways. Yes I have played with both and with my older one non coated they felt pretty similar. They both had similar bolt lifts and they were both smooth. With the DLC coating I know my Axiom is smoother than the old one, so take it for what its worth. Both are great actions, I like the Axiom better, it felt beefier and for the price they are going to be hard to beat!

I will keep you posted but I am impressed, Curtis Customs have put a lot of thought into this and made sure they were perfect before sending them out!

I picked up 2 on the preorder. I am not sure where people are coming up with a lighter bolt lift than a Defiance, etc. mine are both raw SS, but the bolt lift is not bad at all for a 3 lug. Not super light. Maybe it will smooth out with a little use, we will see. First one is at Spartan Precision for a 6XC build

I've got both. Just got the Axiom this Saturday. I am going to throw it in my JAE here in a just a little bit and play with it some more. I will say that they feel very close, if not even on bolt lift. I am one of the 4 guys running Chase's (Curtis Custom's)new DLC he's trying out. It is extremely smooth. The tempest feels almost like its on a pool of lube or something like it glides although its completely dry, whereas the Axiom I have feel like it is smooth in a completely different way but equally as slick. It feels almost dry. I know that sounds wierd but if you get it in hand you'd understand.

I have been running my nitrided tempest for a solid couple months now and it is very light. I like it a lot! One thing I think I'll enjoy on the Axiom is the bolt hand is at the traditional spot when locked, but when cocking the action it is almost at a straight 90 (3 o clock). I think this will allow or a nice easy "sweep" of the hand.

I'm going to go grab my Tempest right now and pull it out of the J Allen and toss the Axiom in. I'll get a video of the bolt lift and running it some.

I've got both. Just got the Axiom this Saturday. I am going to throw it in my JAE here in a just a little bit and play with it some more. I will say that they feel very close, if not even on bolt lift. I am one of the 4 guys running Chase's (Curtis Custom's)new DLC he's trying out. It is extremely smooth. The tempest feels almost like its on a pool of lube or something like it glides although its completely dry, whereas the Axiom I have feel like it is smooth in a completely different way but equally as slick. It feels almost dry. I know that sounds wierd but if you get it in hand you'd understand.

I have been running my nitrided tempest for a solid couple months now and it is very light. I like it a lot! One thing I think I'll enjoy on the Axiom is the bolt hand is at the traditional spot when locked, but when cocking the action it is almost at a straight 90 (3 o clock). I think this will allow or a nice easy "sweep" of the hand.

I'm going to go grab my Tempest right now and pull it out of the J Allen and toss the Axiom in. I'll get a video of the bolt lift and running it some.

Sweet, thanks for the info. And a video would be great! I cant find much if any footage of this action, only a handful of pictures! I am very interested in this!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEXiVRGe4p4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here ya go gents. This action is completely new to me so I fumbled around with it a little bit. I'm used to a Tempest so the bolt handles' angles are a lot different. It will take some getting used to. Overall its crazy smooth. This is literately how I took the action out of the box. I have not cleaned it, lubed it or greased it. Its that smooth and slick. Its hard to tell in the video, but near the end I used one finger to push the bolt handle down. It literately took almost nothing to push it down once cocked. You'll notice my finger doesn't even really turn white like it would if there was pressure there.

Nice video! On your first and third cock, it looks like it binds a bit. Does the tempest do this?

Nice video! On your first and third cock, it looks like it binds a bit. Does the tempest do this?

I don't think either the Tempest or this Axiom bind. I think that was just my fault from being unfamiliar with the action. This was literately the first time I've played with the action in a stock, so the ergonomics are very weird to me still. I tried to get it to bind after and could not unless I used extreme forces that one would not be able to reproduce while on the rifle.

I don't think either the Tempest or this Axiom bind. I think that was just my fault from being unfamiliar with the action. This was literately the first time I've played with the action in a stock, so the ergonomics are very weird to me still. I tried to get it to bind after and could not unless I used extreme forces that one would not be able to reproduce while on the rifle.

Awesome! Thanks for the video! I'm pretty much sold on this.

I'll second the smoothness of the Curtis Axiom. It's slick. I've got a lifetime of 90 degree remmy bolt throw burnt into my brain but after a few hundred cycles, the 60 degree throw is badass and it's only getting better.

Gents,
We appreciate your feedback, and welcome your candid comments. A few months ago we introduced the Axiom, which has been a four year venture for us. Since then, we have made suttle refinements, and will continue to do so as we move forward. One of the improvements we made was to the DLC treatment. Chase and I have been running full DLC actions in a few NALRSA matches in TX. While extremely satisfied with the function, we noticed some premature wear. We immediately met with the engineers and developed a proprietary treatment which consists of a titanium substrate, C12 Titankote, then a Tribo-Kote Sx topcoat. Application of this treatment has a coefficient of friction of .01. This took the basic C12 to a new level. We feel you'll be extremely satisfied with it.
To answer a few questions in this thread... We will be offering a left hand action as production allows. We also offer complete satisfaction with the action, or we will refund your money, period. If you're not happy with it, please contact us so we can understand your concerns. We will refund your money as long as you return the action in new condition.
The Axiom is the first of a few actions we've developed. The Vector will follow as well as our Helix, and Halo actions. They are the Lapua and .408 actions respectively.
We feel privileged to have a few top level shooters using our products. We appreciate the patience of those who have been eagerly awaiting these actions. We pride ourselves on customer service. If you call us, and don't get an answer, please leave a message we will call you back.
We are committed to our customer base, as we share the same passion as you do for our sport.

Gents,
We appreciate your feedback, and welcome your candid comments. A few months ago we introduced the Axiom, which has been a four year venture for us. Since then, we have made suttle refinements, and will continue to do so as we move forward. One of the improvements we made was to the DLC treatment. Chase and I have been running full DLC actions in a few NALRSA matches in TX. While extremely satisfied with the function, we noticed some premature wear. We immediately met with the engineers and developed a proprietary treatment which consists of a titanium substrate, C12 Titankote, then a Tribo-Kote Sx topcoat. Application of this treatment has a coefficient of friction of .01. This took the basic C12 to a new level. We feel you'll be extremely satisfied with it.
To answer a few questions in this thread... We will be offering a left hand action as production allows. We also offer complete satisfaction with the action, or we will refund your money, period. If you're not happy with it, please contact us so we can understand your concerns. We will refund your money as long as you return the action in new condition.
The Axiom is the first of a few actions we've developed. The Vector will follow as well as our Helix, and Halo actions. They are the Lapua and .408 actions respectively.
We feel privileged to have a few top level shooters using our products. We appreciate the patience of those who have been eagerly awaiting these actions. We pride ourselves on customer service. If you call us, and don't get an answer, please leave a message we will call you back.
We are committed to our customer base, as we share the same passion as you do for our sport.

Thoughts as to adding a swept back bolt handle option? Interested in the new coating as well. I haven't noticed any wear on my DLC'd Tempest but i'm interested in the new coating none the less.

Thoughts as to adding a swept back bolt handle option? Interested in the new coating as well. I haven't noticed any wear on my DLC'd Tempest but i'm interested in the new coating none the less.

We will certainly take a look at the bolt sweep..
One thing to keep in mind is that we developed the Axiom as a pure hunting action. The Vector is our "match" action that has an integrated rail and recoil lug. Most customers waiting on the Vector grabbed the Axiom as it came out before the Vector, and are reporting excellent results. Production of the Vector will be close behind the Axiom.

Reactions: Lynn313
So do all future orders of the coated actions come with the improved coating?

Also I heard something about a "scalloped" or "lightened up" Axiom. If that's true, any ETA when I might see a picture of that bad boy? I'm gettin' too excited...

Joel,
any chance those of us who got one in bare SS could send it back to for the new coating you offer? If so what would the cost be?