• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Custom .338 Lapua vs Accuracy International

Jeepin fan

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Newby here,
I have a question for the pros...I have 2 options for my .338 Lapus Mag. I ahve a gunsmith ready to build me one on a badger M2008 reciever, accuracy international stock, 28 inch Rick Creek barrel(5r 1-10) or I can buy a .338 Lapua Accuracy International version with all the options I am looking for. The "Off the Shelf" one is about 3 grand more than a custom.

Whats your advice??

Re: Custom .338 Lapua vs Accuracy International

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newby here,
I have a question for the pros...I have 2 options for my .338 Lapus Mag. I ahve a gunsmith ready to build me one on a badger M2008 reciever, accuracy international stock, 28 inch Rick Creek barrel(5r 1-10) or I can buy a .338 Lapua Accuracy International version with all the options I am looking for. The "Off the Shelf" one is about 3 grand more than a custom.

Whats your advice?? </div></div>

The real AI will hold value better.....and probably will be more reliable in the end run.

Thanks, this is the type of advice I am looking for.

I will probably never re-sell it though. Is there a huge difference in the Badger reciever and Rick Creek Barrel vs. AI standard issue or will those be minimal given the tolerances these things are built to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it then get the real AI. </div></div>

With a hensoldt for optics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newby here,

Whats your advice?? </div></div>

The real AI will hold value better.....and probably will be more reliable in the end run. </div></div>

For a "go to war" rifle....AIAW would be one hell of a hammer and as you pointed outabout 3k more. the question you need to answer, do you need that?

larger question.....do you have range for a .338LM

Yet larger question......what is your experience..??..?? if this is your first rifle would look at other calibers.

If this is your first custom that his a hell of a rifle to start off with. I started with a .308 Rem XCR Tactical and then went to my current custom .308 and am considering obtaining a custom .338 next year sometime (well ordering....)

I agree with Chiller if you dont have the range to use it ... you can probably go with .338. For me I would have to go to Gunsite or Rifles only to really use a .338

Rick Creek? Must be Mike's younger, cooler, Don Johnson looking brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it then get the real AI. </div></div>

With a hensoldt for optics!</div></div>

Duh!

I'm a little concrened by the "newby here" statment. If this is your first rifle (or even your first serious long range rifle) that's not the caliber I'd start with. It's a hell of an expensive investment (read waste of money) if you're new to the sport. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome cartridge, but it's a hell of an expensive one and it makes a lot of safe queen rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a little concrened by the "newby here" statment. If this is your first rifle (or even your first serious long range rifle) that's not the caliber I'd start with. It's a hell of an expensive investment (read waste of money) if you're new to the sport. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome cartridge, but it's a hell of an expensive one and it makes a lot of safe queen rifles. </div></div>

Fair question...Newby was in reference to posting on this forum. I have used it for a lot of research but had never before posted.
I am not new to precision shooting, but I am new to the .338. Previous rifles have all been .308 or smaller. I live in Colorado so I do have the distance to shoot it and plan to do some big game hunting with it in alaska. Grizzly, Dall Sheep. Yes it is a little over kill for the sheep but I really love the accuracy of this round.

Sorry for the typo....yes rock Creek Barrel by Mike Creek.

Guess I am just concerned by the big price difference between the Ai and the Custom. Would I be paying for name only on the AI? The custom will get the job done and is quality parts......right ???

Thanks for all to the comments I am really having a hard time with this. Money wise....yes I can afford the AI but dont want to piss money away just for the name.

For hunting I wouldn't choose either of those two, too heavy!

Look into the Stiller action for your custom and maybe have two stocks for it, an AICS for LR plinking and a McMillan or Manners for toting it around the woods.

Your not just paying for a name with the AI. It's one of if not the most reliable rifle out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Your getting a little closer....I think you mean Mike Rock over at Rock Creek Barrels

To answer your question, no there is no difference in quality or accuracy, IMO.

Reliability keeps getting mentioned here, which is really not a concern when considering rifles at this price range.

You will not be giving up anything if you go with the custom job you mentioned. They are just different.

Go custom. Build it to your specs AND save some coin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer your question, no there is no difference in quality or accuracy, IMO.

Reliability keeps getting mentioned here, which is really not a concern when considering rifles at this price range.

You will not be giving up anything if you go with the custom job you mentioned. They are just different. </div></div>

Oh really...there are those that would disagree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not be giving up anything if you go with the custom job you mentioned. They are just different. </div></div>Really? The Badger m2008 has an action bonded to the chassis now? You can call AINA and order a barrel for your Badger M2008 if you want? You can take the barrel and/or bolt off a 1992 Badger M2008 and it will headspace to your 2011 Badger M2008? Badger M2008's come with AI triggers now? AI chassis offer buttspikes now? Badger 2008's are used by 60 countries around the world?

I think it is fair to say that they are not equal. Whether or not the Badger will fit your needs for a few thousand less, is a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer your question, no there is no difference in quality or accuracy, IMO.

You will not be giving up anything if you go with the custom job you mentioned. They are just different. </div></div>

Oh really...there are those that would disagree. </div></div>

I'm sure there are. Let me explain what I meant. I did not mean to imply that the AI was overpriced. There is a price premium that you pay, however, for exclusivity and this certainly applies to AI products. It is a top tier rifle, though, for sure.

What the OP asked was not whether or not the AI was overpriced. He wanted to know whether or not the AI was more accurate or reliable than a custom job.

IMO, you cannot EXPECT an AI rifle to consistently outperform a no-expenses-spared custom job by a great 'smith. It has happened before, and will again, but it cannot consistently be expected to do so. I think there are less expensive rifles that are equally accurate and reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer your question, no there is no difference in quality or accuracy, IMO.

Oh really...there are those that would disagree. </div></div>

I'm sure there are. Let me explain what I meant. I did not mean to imply that the AI was overpriced. There is a price premium that you pay, however, for exclusivity and this certainly applies to AI products. It is a top tier rifle, though, for sure.

What the OP asked was not whether or not the AI was overpriced. He wanted to know whether or not the AI was more accurate or reliable than a custom job.

IMO, you cannot EXPECT an AI rifle to consistently outperform a no-expenses-spared custom job by a great 'smith. It has happened before, and will again, but it cannot consistently be expected to do so. I think there are less expensive rifles that are equally accurate and reliable. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure George from Gap would disagree with you on the 2 AI's I've got.

You're obviously argumentative, and you're a local so I'll play along for fun.

AI is pretty much the most expensive rifle in the game. So, your argument is this: There is no rifle on earth that is capable of outperforming an AI, under any circumstance, ever?

And George from GAP would readily admit that neither he (nor his army of 'smiths) is capable of producing a rifle that holds a candle to an AI?

This is what you're saying?

For what its worth,

I have had an AW308 for a little over a year now and have had several custom rifles before that.
There are some great custom rifles out there, and some not so great.
I have never heard of an AI that was not spectacular.
For me, I ate a few months worth of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to make up the difference in price and it was the best decision I ever made.
I couldn't be happier with my AI, it shoots lights out and is built like a dam tank.
Next is an AX338!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNENTHUSIAST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what its worth...
There are some great custom rifles out there, and some not so great.
I have never heard of an AI that was not spectacular...
</div></div>

Ever heard of an APA or GAP that sucked?

Real AI all the way. I went that road and never looked back!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're obviously argumentative, and you're a local so I'll play along for fun.

AI is pretty much the most expensive rifle in the game. So, your argument is this: There is no rifle on earth that is capable of outperforming an AI, under any circumstance, ever?

And George from GAP would readily admit that neither he (nor his army of 'smiths) is capable of producing a rifle that holds a candle to an AI?

This is what you're saying? </div></div>

LOL read into it much?

AI is a FAR cry from the most expensive rifle in the game. Just off the top of my head:

Asbury
PGW
PGM
etc

And as far as George or Gap....I'm willing to bet the AI I bought off him that was rebarreled by him would be considered as good period as just about any rifle that came out of their shop.

So imagine that a AI Action + A GAP Barrel = Win!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're obviously argumentative, and you're a local so I'll play along for fun.

This is what you're saying? </div></div>

LOL read into it much?

AI is a FAR cry from the most expensive rifle in the game. Just off the top of my head:

<span style="color: #009900">Ashbury</span>
PGW
PGM
etc

And as far as George or Gap....I'm willing to bet the AI I bought off him that was rebarreled by him would be considered as good period as just about any rifle that came out of their shop.

So imagine that a AI Action + A GAP Barrel = Win! </div></div>

Fixed it for you
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Correct. "As good as"...not "measurably better than". That was my entire point. Thanks for conceding that.

Done with this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Correct. "As good as"...not "measurably better than". That was my entire point. Thanks for conceding that.

Done with this one. </div></div>

Whatever bud. Looking forward to see what you post for sale.

The AI rifles offer a lot of benefits over a custom gun, but a lot has to do with what you want to do.

If you want a rifle for hunting in Alaska, do you want to be lugging around a 18 pound+ beast that is not really all that well suited to off the hand shots. The rifle is really made to be shot prone or on a support.

A custom gun can easily be as accurate or more than an AI gun, the question becomes how does it hold up when the going gets rough? AI rifles work very well in conditions that jam up lots of expensive custom guns.

My suggestion would be to look around a bit on the for sale section, recently several almost new ones were sold in the mid to upper 5K range, which would put it close to the same cost as your custom job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Whatever bud. Looking forward to see what you post for sale. </div></div>

Sir?

I've been blessed to own a GAP, KMW, APA, DTA, AW308, 300wm, 338, and aw50. I love every one of them. I am able to run some better than others. They all shoot lights out and all are tough as nails. If you wanna go down the road of which one lasts longer when all hell comes, then let me just say that you will probably be dead or at least out of ammo before anyone of them fail you. If your looking for the absolute best accuracy with very tight tolerances, then no matter what you buy you run a chance of a malfunction.

Thanks for the debate guys.....

I will think about it for the next 48 hours and post up with what I decide.

I appreciate all the input!!

I enjoy reading the posts and oppinions of such expert long range shooters.
smile.gif

Here is a question.
smile.gif

Do you get to choose the reemer specs of the AI?
I know that you can with a custom, but i am not very familiar with AI and what they do.

Just a question for the Pros.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5toLife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I enjoy reading the posts and oppinions of such expert long range shooters.
smile.gif

Here is a question.
smile.gif

Do you get to choose the reemer specs of the AI?
I know that you can with a custom, but i am not very familiar with AI and what they do.

Just a question for the Pros.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Not with a factory barrel.

If you get an aftermarket then sure. Buy or rent the reamer you want and have your smith chamber up your blank.

it really all depends on what you want, for any high end rifle accuracy and reliability are going to be good to go as long as the gunsmith isn’t a tard.

For me I went custom surgeon in an AICS2.0 and threw a NF on top, so for about 2k less than an AW with no optic I am out having fun.

The things that make the AW great I really don’t see as a big enough deal to warrant the extra 3k.

Bonding to the action, nice but I can get my aics bedded to tighten up the half MOA groups it prints if I chose

the AW barrels are nice that you can just order it up and drop it in, but I don’t mind having a smith take a few weeks to chamber and install a Krieger or bartline for me, so thats not worth an extra 3k

the things that i do like about the AW are availible in the form of the Chasis, in the mag system and the foldability

so it really all depends

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Well, you got your wish!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Well, you got your wish! </div></div>

lol ya....and its sweet too! 175gr at 2833fps! out of a 23" barrel.

Mate, you are a long time dead & it is only money.

I started off wanting an AI, but bought something else. I sold it. I bought an AI.

Custom rifles are nice, but if you want an AI, get the real deal. I am sure that the Badgers are nice but, they are not an AI.

Get the AI, scope it & shoot it. When you need to change the barrel it takes 10 minutes. There is no tinkering, no excuses, no bedding, no normal rifle issues with an AI. They shoot, they are accurate & they hold their value.

What more could you want ?

I went with a Barrett over an AI and it ws likely the best decision I ever made. Nothing agiainst the AI performance-wise other than it's foreign made. As for tough and reliable...A 100+ pound plus shooting table that was leaning against a wall fell and landed on my barrell while the gun was on a bipod. It flipped the rifle over and landed upside down on the concrete hard enough to dent the flip-up on my USO. I was FREAKING OUT until I followed up with a series of half-minute groups at 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a little concrened by the "newby here" statment. If this is your first rifle (or even your first serious long range rifle) that's not the caliber I'd start with. It's a hell of an expensive investment (read waste of money) if you're new to the sport. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome cartridge, but it's a hell of an expensive one and it makes a lot of safe queen rifles. </div></div>

Fair question...Newby was in reference to posting on this forum. I have used it for a lot of research but had never before posted.
I am not new to precision shooting, but I am new to the .338. Previous rifles have all been .308 or smaller. I live in Colorado so I do have the distance to shoot it and plan to do some big game hunting with it in alaska. Grizzly, Dall Sheep. Yes it is a little over kill for the sheep but I really love the accuracy of this round.

Guess I am just concerned by the big price difference between the Ai and the Custom. Would I be paying for name only on the AI? The custom will get the job done and is quality parts......right ???

Thanks for all to the comments I am really having a hard time with this. Money wise....yes I can afford the AI but dont want to piss money away just for the name.</div></div>

I completely understand not wanting to piss money away. The 338 is an amazing cartridge. You'll enjoy the hell out of it. As far as the AI vs a GAP... I'll leave that to the fan boys to debate.

AI makes great rifles, but as everyone knows they make great chasis, which ups the accuracy on any Remington footprint action or Savage action with half a decent barrel. My 308 and 338 Lapua are both factory Remingtons with minimum work to them to get 1/4 moa after they were placed in AICS. Both rifles without rings, pic rail, scope, bipod, and monopod. Can be had for under $3000.00 and that is with getting your bolt and barrel work done for a bolt knob, muzzle break or flash suppressor. Get out your calculator and see how it fits your wallet and what you want to do with your new rifle. I hope you reload or you will have to have a second job or a rich sugar mamma for the Lapua.

If you want to hunt in Alaska with a factory 338LM rifle there is no substitute for the original DGR rifle. It can be ordered with laminated stock and picrail bases milled in the square bridges. Only downside, it probably cost more than two AI:

http://www.mauser.com/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Deutsch/M98M_Folder_2005_de-en_01.pdf

http://www.mauser.com/fileadmin/Editor/downloads/Broschueren/Englisch/Mauser-M98M-Flyer_gb_01.pdf

Could not resist with an undertone of seriousness :)

Gorgeous! To nice to want to take into the field, those Mausers need to to be in a nice velvet case on display. I did like the M98 with the Winchester safety on it instead of the standard Mauser safety. Look at the Remington 700 MLR in 338 Lapua, it is light in weight just like a hunting rifle and you can use it in the field for hunting, it can be had for $1500. No since in looking for something set up for tactical work to hump around in the field that weighs in at 16lbs. You may have to change out the stock to a hunting stock instead of the HS Precision tactical stock that comes on it. Check out this thread, it will take a bit to read through it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2513038&page=1

Those Mausers are definately sweet looking.

And your decision is.......?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the debate guys.....

I will think about it for the next 48 hours and post up with what I decide.

I appreciate all the input!! </div></div>

I really want a AX in 338lm but left hand. I can tell you this. No matter what you chose either will be a nice rifle. I have hunted in some very rugged areas in CO and like a jackass I listened to everyone I was going with and took my “Hunting rifle” and ended up not getting an ELK because of that. Could not get close enough and I tried everything I could. That is one of the reasons I hate “hunters” and their “oh you need a 6lb rifle if you are going to the mountains and you will not feel the recoil.” ideas. That was the last time I ever listened to their advice about one of the trips we went on. The very next year I brought my heavy rifle and shot all of their ELK but one because they could never get close enough. I do not let them shoot or hold my rifle unless we are back home and just shooting at rocks. Like I say you have to pay to play. If you are willing to spend the cash to get quality equipment and then practice at long range I am not going to let you use my stuff to get a game animal. I will shoot it for you but you will not use my rifle to harvest your animal. Now if only the quality stuff did not cost so much. It would be really nice if our dollar was closer to the British pound then these darn AI products would not cost so much.

On a side note if I keep saying I want a left handed AX in 338LM they might build one. Lol I know it is a pipe dream, but it is my pipe dream.

Every man to his own when it comes to hunting rifles, I grew up in Colorado and still live here. Everything I shoot is a long distance shooting iron. My primary weapon is a 7mag and my secondary is a 7STW. I shoot off hand up to 300 yards, a lot of guys use their packs, shooting sticks or something to brace off of. I have seen to many hunters have and elk walk away from them by the time they get set up. Use what you are comfortable with and be deadly with it from practice.