• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom action over bluprinted remington 700?

henke4310

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
North Dakota
wondering what the advantage of a custom action is over a 700 bluprinted by a good gun builder besides resale value?

Re: custom action over bluprinted remington 700?

Depends on the custom action. The one I own is a surgeon. The bolt is one piece (well, the knob screws on) so it is unlikely to fall off like sometimes happens with Remingtons. It has a side bolt release, which is nice. The bolt head isn't another piece soldered or swaged on, or however Big Green does it. The integral rail stiffens the action, it has a longer thread tenon and the integral recoil lug is cool, you don't have to pin it. The larger bolt faces come with improved extractors. The metallurgy/hardening is better, and you don't have to cut through the surface of the action to work on it, because it is already done.

I know its sacred around here but the 700 action exists because it is cheaper to machine a piece of tube steel into a rifle than to use something better. I'm not terribly impressed.

probably not much of a price difference once you buy the remington 700 action, get it blueprinted, put different bolt handle and knob on, flute the bolt, adjust trigger, and put a m16 extractor in it huh haha

It gets a lot closer, and you still just have a polished economy rifle.

Custom is almost always the way to go. Money, look, performance, resale, buy one time nice and I think you will be happier in the long run.

Jake

I agree that a custom action is the way to go and the the cost is very close when you price out all the features you get.

One thing I have seen but not sure if this always occurs is that my custom actions have allowed me to run higher pressures. I can generally run several grains of powder over max where I have seen factory actions not be able to get to max without sticky bolts.

At the end of the day, custom is better, and sometimes cheaper. Yes, cheaper. If you want to see what I mean, look up the you tube video I made with the comparison of a Remington, and a Stiller. There are good reasons to build on a Remington. For example, if you already have the action in hand, and don't need to purchace it. Go to you tube, type my channel under the search which is suar08161991, and look up the one where I do the comparison. Best of luck.

Go with a Custom....once you do, you will understand the reason why. You will spend more money polishing and truing up a remington to make it on par with the good custom actions

in my opinion, some of the features on custom actions are just fluff. i don't feel fluted bolts or claw extractors (on a 90* bolt) offer any advantage over a non-fluted remington bolt with a remington extractor. in fact, i prefer a non-fluted bolt and remington extractors. side bolt releases are handy but i don't think they are absolutely necessary. you can get them installed on a remington 700 also.

features i do think are an advantage of an aftermarket action are: one piece bolt/bolt handles (available for remington 700's), monolithic receiver/recoil lug (bonus points for scope rail).

i have both aftermarket actions and trued remington actions. i personally prefer a trued remington action. they do everything i need them to do and i'm not paying for features i don't need and don't want.

if i was shooting benchrest, then i would have a different opinion. we're not on a benchrest site though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The metallurgy/hardening is better, and you don't have to cut through the surface of the action to work on it, because it is already done.
</div></div>

really? do you have some proof of this? i'd bet many, if not all of the aftermarket action manufactures rough out the receiver, then heat treat and then do the final machining. remington 700's aren't case hardened. when truing one, you aren't doing anything that an aftermarket action manufacture isn't doing on finish machining.

If you're going to drive a race car, the cheap way is to buy an old junker and fix it up piece by piece. The best way is to design the race car right and build it from scratch.

So do you want to buy a Remington 700 action and pay a gunsmith to hopefully fix and true that action and bolt so it's done right? Hoping that his lathes, mills and skills are good enough to get the job done? This technique can be cheaper if you can only afford to do one upgrade at a time.

Or do you want to buy a custom action that was designed and built using the best machines and materials to the most exacting tolerances from the ground up? This technique is more expensive upfront, but EVERYTHING is done right the first time.

Having built rifles both ways, I will always choose the custom action method if there is anyway that I can afford it.

By the way, GA Precision, Black Ops/Skunkworks, Proof Research and other custom builders use Defiance actions. Yes, Defiance actions REALLY are that good!

www.defiancemachine.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
By the way, GA Precision, Black Ops/Skunkworks, Proof Research and other custom builders use Defiance actions. Yes, Defiance actions REALLY are that good!

www.defiancemachine.com </div></div>

Very interesting. I was on the verge of a new build and was considering a custom action over a blueprinted 700. I was looking at Surgeon and trying to justify the added expense.

Does GAP just have their actions rebranded?

What is the desired end result? The most accurate rifle possible? If that is the case i would argue that with a properly blueprinted 700 and a quality custom action you are going to end up with 2 very accurate rifles. In my experience there is NO difference, accuracy wise, between a blueprinted 700 and a custom action. So for many it comes down to cost. If i had limited funds and wanted to have more than one custom rifle i would choose the blueprinted remmy. If i wanted one really nice rifle (which i do) then i would choose the custom (i use a BAT VRPIC).

On the high side if you go with the Remington you will see the following cost breakdown.

700 Reciever $400

Blueprinting $250

Precision ground recoil lug $25

Total cost=$675 and it will be just as accurate as a custom.

Custom Action

$1,000-$1,300

So for the cost of one Custom you could have 2 blueprinted 700's. This is of course if we are talking pure precison capabilities only. You don't need side bolt releases, fluted bolts, Sako extractors, tactical bolt knobs....blah blah. They are not going to make your rifles any more accurate. The truth is if you are patient and look in the for sale ads you can pic up a 700 reciever for $325 and have it blueprinted for $175 then with the ground recoil lug you are looking at an action cost of $525 a substantial savings over the custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The metallurgy/hardening is better, and you don't have to cut through the surface of the action to work on it, because it is already done.
</div></div>

really? do you have some proof of this? i'd bet many, if not all of the aftermarket action manufactures rough out the receiver, then heat treat and then do the final machining. remington 700's aren't case hardened. when truing one, you aren't doing anything that an aftermarket action manufacture isn't doing on finish machining. </div></div>

No but it would be interesting to see them both tested for hardness. My gunsmith tells me Remingtons are extremely soft.

I'm with Mulehunter. Where are you all getting these 'cheap' custom actions?

I just found this thread while searching for info on exactly this topic. I've recently become interested in building a custom rifle, but am a complete novice at it and am looking for some ideas/help. Originally, my idea was to simply purchase a Remington 700PSS in .300RUM and have some work done on it. However, my search has ended with the realization that Remington no longer produces this rifle. Therefore, I've started researching ideas for building my own.

I have done some research on custom actions and have found some that I would like, but the price does get in the way a bit once I start considering everything else I'd like to put on my rifle. So if, as Mulehunter has asserted, a factory 700 action can be had for $400., blueprinted for $250 and precision ground recoil lug for $25, then I'm thinking that this would be the option I would choose.

So far, in my searches I have not found 700 actions for sale for $400., so I was thinking of buying a new Remington 700 sps in .300RUM for about $525. just so I could swipe the action out of it. Is there a less expensive source for me to obtain this same action? And also, in my searches for gunsmiths to send it off to for blueprinting, as I'm sure you guys all know, there are so many choices listed online that I'd have no clue who to choose to do the work. I live in a very remote area, so there are no gunsmiths anywhere near me, so I could sure use some help in getting directed toward someone who does excellent blueprinting work.

Hope you guys won't consider this a hijack of your thread as I'm really interested in learning about the options for building a custom rifle and it seems that this thread was right on topic for the info I am seeking.

you can watch gunbroker for actions. they pop up on there every once in a while but if nothing else there is a remington 722 on here for 375. I guess its the same as a 700 but dont quote me on that i dont know anything lol.

I'm not sure what a custom gets you...and I have two Surgeons and a Nesika Bay. I also have a Tac Ops and had a KMW...both on trued Remington actions, they all shoot awesome. I went to Walmart in North Carolina and bought the cheapest Rem 700 I could find, sent it to Terry Cross and six months later I had a hammer! The USMC and Army use the Remington action...

Save yourself the money and invest in a good smith especially if one is just starting out. Don't get me wrong, I love my custom actioned rifles, I just haven't seen a difference in how they shoot after a good smith get done with them..."good smith" being the operative phrase....

I did 2 Remington action's and wish I had went the custom action rout. The only custom action I have is the TRG, but is that really a custom action.

The next build will be a stiller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did 2 Remington action's and wish I had went the custom action rout. The only custom action I have is the TRG, but is that really a custom action.

The next build will be a stiller. </div></div>

What are you noticing is different between the Rems and what you think you might get out of a custom?

nnn66

Give Benchmark barrels a call they can hook you up with a complete build and i know they stock some factory Remington actions already. And if they don't have it they can find you one. They make their own barrels and build complete rifles. See sig line.

In the for sale section of this forum i have seen several actions go $325-$375 if you do a search you will see what i mean. I also just recently bought a Remington 700 Long action BDL locally at a pawn shop for $383 out the door. It is not hard to find them if your on a budget and do a little digging.

I am all for custom actions. I just don't want the guy thats trying to do it on a tight budget to think he's getting screwed by not buying a custom action. If you have the funds my personnal opinion is go with a custom.

The amount of skill required to shoot the accuracy difference between a blue printed remington build and the same with a surgeon, badger, stiller, defiance, templar, etc. all done by a competent smith, is something very people can do i would imagine. Durability wise well i can't speak for that part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Mulehunter. Where are you all getting these 'cheap' custom actions?
</div></div>

Me too!!! At those prices, I'll buy two. I have a bunch of PTG bolts looking for future Remy builds in my safe. ot plenty of barrels, and stocks. Just need cheap Remy actions. I don't even want the bolts. Please, please let me know.

I am nuts for pre-64 and mauser actions. I am a strong believer in CRF and big claw extractors.

I've been around the Win vs Rem action debate many times. First time I ever actually heard someone prefer a Rem extractor. The 700 adherents I know usually at least concede that upgrading to a Sako extractor is an improvement.

I also concede that the 700 action is theoretically stronger and probably more accurate. I don't know that it's enough to overcome what I (and others) feel are the advantages of CRF and claw extractor.

However, this debate is Rem 700 vs "custom".

I would have to say that probably the best action I have ever been exposed to is the McMillan Talon Action. For any purpose other than benchrest, I can't imagine a better or stronger action.

It has all the advantages of both CRF/Claw Extractor and the inherent strength and accuracy of a Rem 700 (basically a piece of pipe).

I had a well known bench rest gunsmith (Speedy Gonzalez) make me a custom rifle based on a SS McMillan Talon. It was done in 7mm STW and in my mind at least represents the best that the "trade" has to offer.

Just my .02. I know this subject gets pretty hotly debated.

thanks for the tip about benchmark, Mulehunter. I will definitely contact them as I'm wanting to explore all of my options before I make any decisions. Although I've never owned a magnum rifle, I have fired several of them in my life and have recently been practicing with a friend's 700 PSS in .300 RUM. He has a blueprinted Remington action in that rifle and it is so incredibly accurate that I can't see any need for myself to pay for a custom action if I can build a rifle that shoots as well as his does on a blueprinted Rem. I'm still open to the idea of a custom and may end up going that route, but it would certainly slow down my build a bit if I have wait to gather parts as I can fund them. I own numerous rifles, but have only ever bought new factory rifles out of the box, so I still have a lot to learn about what is involved in building a custom. However, I'm determined to build a magnum rifle and will continue my research until I've come up with a plan. Thanks for the advice!

Are "custom" action manufacturers required to complete pressure barrel/fatigue/failure testing like "factory" mfg actions?

If so, anyone have a link to the test results?

If not, which ones have?

Lots of good info in this post. I am having a gun built right now with a bighorn action. I have had ones done off of 700 actions, but this will be my first true custom. I am excited I should have it by June if all goes well.

When i first upgraded to a custom action i got all excited expecting to see even tighter groups than i had before. I went with BAT because of their reputation for being the best. To my dissapointment (if you can call it that lol
smile.gif
) was that it shot as good as all my previous remington blueprinted actions. To prove my point...the bottom 3 pics are targets shot by custom rifles (in that they have good triggers, bedded, and aftermarket barrels). Both of these are Remington actions with aftermarket barrels. The top photo is a blueprinted action, the bottom 2 photos are from a 700 that was checked for squareness and was found to be good (one of the older ones) so the barrel was installed without blueprinting. All of these targets are shot at 500 yds prone with a bipod and rear bag.

Due to these, and similar results i have had, i tell people to invest in a quality barrel. To me that is the heart of a rifles precision capability. I have seen some cheap crappy actions with good barrels on them shoot awesome. My buddy built a rifle around a Mosin Nagant action (which many believe is not worth building on) and put a Benchmark barrel on it to test his custom action theory and it shot awesome. Here is a link Mosin Nagant .260 Rem

SANY1094.jpg

243-3.jpg

243-4.jpg

I have a build put together on a blueprinted Remmy action and can't imagine for a second that it could possibly shoot any better than it does had I upgraded to a custom action. If I have the extra cash I will use a custom on my next build but that will only be for splurging and showing off my build. I don't believe for a second that it will be more accurate than a blueprinted action.

nnn66, There is nothing wrong with buying a complete rifle (new or used). Money can still be saved going this route. Buy a new SPS (or whatever 700 model) and sell everything but the action:

Trigger ~$40
Stock ~$75-100
BDL group ~$75
Barrel ~$100-125

These prices reflect a Canadian market, but the savings are apparent. ~$500-700 for a new SPS, but a potential to make $250 or more back.

A trued Remington won’t be cheap, but up here customs start at $900. At the worst I could have a new Remington action for 450$. My gunsmith charges $150 to true. Savings of $300. Kriegar’s go for $400 here, so that $300 can go a long way!

As for argument’s about accuracy- I think accuracy is more related to your chosen gunsmith and barrel.

Unless a person <span style="font-style: italic">wants</span> a custom, I don't really see the big deal.

Nothing wrong with a Surgeon! Picked her up today. When I was planning my build, I too thought about blueprinting a stock action. After many restless nights, I pulled the trigger on a custom one.

23poo9.jpg

Run to Wal-Mart and pick up a youth model rifle.

They are $396.99 for a Rem 700 ADL youth packages.

Sell the barrel for about $80.

Sell the stock for $60. They sell quick to guys wanting to take their grandkids hunting but don't want to buy them a rifle.

Sell the trigger for $40-50.

Sell the scope, bases, rings for $40-50.

I've done this a couple times now, myself.

In the end, you have a Rem 700 for about $200. $250 to blueprint it and you have a nice damn action for $450. Pick the trigger of your choice and you're ready for a barrel and ready to rock and roll. Its been a winning formula for me to put together half a dozen custom rifles.

Amazing group you have there mule. I also agree accuracy starts with a quality barrel

from what im getting out of this it seems like people just pay the extra bucks to say they have a custom action haha however i just dropped off my next build off a 700 action and im not sure if customs arnt so out of line. I messed up the bolt on this action due to beeing green in the reloading world so thats why i had to buy a new bolt but heres the list
action . . . $350
tune trugger.$ 35
PTG bolt $150
Flute bolt . $ 85
M16 extractor$ 25
Blue print $250
Total . . $895
so it saves ya a few bucks i guess and me personally i like the fact that my smith goes threw the action instead of trusting a company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The metallurgy/hardening is better, and you don't have to cut through the surface of the action to work on it, because it is already done.
</div></div>

really? do you have some proof of this? i'd bet many, if not all of the aftermarket action manufactures rough out the receiver, then heat treat and then do the final machining. remington 700's aren't case hardened. when truing one, you aren't doing anything that an aftermarket action manufacture isn't doing on finish machining. </div></div>

I do, actually. Here's what I have from running the metallurgy tests on Remington steels, talking to manufacturers making the customs, touring the Remington plant and watching the raws in a couple of the shops actually making the custom actions.

1) Remingtons are thru hardened, not cased
2) Remingtons are completely machined and then heat treated. This is telltale from the fact that many are U shaped.
3) The "crookedness" of the Remington's is due to the process and how to make the rifle in an economical manner. I've heard the comment from an extremely good rifle smith say "The Remington is a K-mart version of the Mauser 98." I'm going to leave his name out of it, however his work is known on this site and many others. I don't disagree with him.

4) I've seen where a number of the custom actions come from when touring a couple of shops. The material is pre-hard almost exclusively. With modern equipment and carbide tooling it is not only more effective to put out a higher quality product cutting things one time as well as not difficult to cut the steels associated with rifle actions using such carbide tooling.

Exceptions to this come in the form of certain case hardening materials that once hardened require diamond or abrasive methods (grinding) to cut them. The applications of the certain materials that I have in mind, and which are used sparingly in the custom action world happens on small parts and things that are easily setup for post work in small/fast CNC equipment.

My feeling is this:

The Remington action as a base action is good to start with. If you have it already and you don't want to sell it off for whatever reason you will still have an excellent rifle to work with.

Taking that action, with an avg. market value of appx. $400 and then truing it (~$200), adding a side bolt release (~$100), pinning the recoil lug (~$75), truing and oversizing the scope base holes (~$75), upgrading the extractor (~$100) and retiming the handle and welding on a new threaded handle/knob (~$125) and adding an aftermarket recoil lug (~$25-35) puts you at over $1000 invested in the action. Let's skip the fluted bolts for now since that's usually an option for custom makers.

It is now slicked up and has many of the features that other custom makers advertise. It will also shoot extraordinarily well and you'll have a rifle to be proud of.

Down the road you attempt to sell it. All that extra work that you paid $600+ for is worth $0.50 on the dollar give or take a little.

If you are considering going "whole hog" on the truing and upgrades then just sell the Remington to someone who isn't going to do all that and save your pennies to buy a custom action with all the bells and whistles at the start.

If you just want the tenon and bolt head trued with a new barrel installed then it is still worth it to stick with the Remington (or just about any other factory action for that matter).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The metallurgy/hardening is better, and you don't have to cut through the surface of the action to work on it, because it is already done.
</div></div>

I do, actually. Here's what I have from running the metallurgy tests on Remington steels, talking to manufacturers making the customs, touring the Remington plant and watching the raws in a couple of the shops actually making the custom actions.

1) Remingtons are thru hardened, not cased
2) Remingtons are completely machined and then heat treated. This is telltale from the fact that many are U shaped.
3) The "crookedness" of the Remington's is due to the process and how to make the rifle in an economical manner. I've heard the comment from an extremely good rifle smith say "The Remington is a K-mart version of the Mauser 98." I'm going to leave his name out of it, however his work is known on this site and many others. I don't disagree with him.

4) I've seen where a number of the custom actions come from when touring a couple of shops. The material is pre-hard almost exclusively. With modern equipment and carbide tooling it is not only more effective to put out a higher quality product cutting things one time as well as not difficult to cut the steels associated with rifle actions using such carbide tooling.

Exceptions to this come in the form of certain case hardening materials that once hardened require diamond or abrasive methods (grinding) to cut them. The applications of the certain materials that I have in mind, and which are used sparingly in the custom action world happens on small parts and things that are easily setup for post work in small/fast CNC equipment.

My feeling is this:

The Remington action as a base action is good to start with. If you have it already and you don't want to sell it off for whatever reason you will still have an excellent rifle to work with.

Taking that action, with an avg. market value of appx. $400 and then truing it (~$200), adding a side bolt release (~$100), pinning the recoil lug (~$75), truing and oversizing the scope base holes (~$75), upgrading the extractor (~$100) and retiming the handle and welding on a new threaded handle/knob (~$125) and adding an aftermarket recoil lug (~$25-35) puts you at over $1000 invested in the action. Let's skip the fluted bolts for now since that's usually an option for custom makers.

It is now slicked up and has many of the features that other custom makers advertise. It will also shoot extraordinarily well and you'll have a rifle to be proud of.

Down the road you attempt to sell it. All that extra work that you paid $600+ for is worth $0.50 on the dollar give or take a little.

If you are considering going "whole hog" on the truing and upgrades then just sell the Remington to someone who isn't going to do all that and save your pennies to buy a custom action with all the bells and whistles at the start.

If you just want the tenon and bolt head trued with a new barrel installed then it is still worth it to stick with the Remington (or just about any other factory action for that matter).

</div></div>

i don't think you proved anything that he stated is true. when we put our tooling to a remington 700 to true it up, we aren't doing anything that an aftermarket action manufacture isn't doing on final finish machining. it doesn't really matter if a aftermarket action manufacture starts with pre-hard or not.

action deformity from doing a post machine heat treat was his point.....and it was pretty apparent

being that aftermarket/custom action pretreat before machine saves this deformity and therefore comes out with a stronger and more exact product

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 021411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with a Surgeon! Picked her up today. When I was planning my build, I too thought about blueprinting a stock action. After many restless nights, I pulled the trigger on a custom one.

23poo9.jpg
</div></div>

Now that is the way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [...]adding a side bolt release (~$100), pinning the recoil lug (~$75), truing and oversizing the scope base holes (~$75), upgrading the extractor (~$100) and retiming the handle and welding on a new threaded handle/knob (~$125) and adding an aftermarket recoil lug (~$25-35) puts you at over $1000 invested in the action. [...] </div></div>

You’ve already added a bunch of other superficial costs, so why skip the fluting?

I can’t speak for others, but I am upgrading my action to increase consistency. I want my action to lock up square and cycle efficiently. The receiver’s concentricity is going to compliment the quality barrel that I’ve also invested in. Fat knobs, big holes, and fancy extractors are not necessary. As my students would say, “It’s all just swag.”

Custom actions are great. The higher cost is justified by offering a variety of unique options to the customer. However, If all that is needed is a solid, repeatable and reliable action, a trued 700 is half the cost.

You can gold plate a 700 and then say a custom will be cheaper, but what exactly is your point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henke4310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what im getting out of this it seems like people just pay the extra bucks to say they have a custom action haha however i just dropped off my next build off a 700 action and im not sure if customs arnt so out of line. I messed up the bolt on this action due to beeing green in the reloading world so thats why i had to buy a new bolt but heres the list
action . . . $350
tune trugger.$ 35
PTG bolt $150
Flute bolt . $ 85
M16 extractor$ 25
Blue print $250
Total . . $895
so it saves ya a few bucks i guess and me personally i like the fact that my smith goes threw the action instead of trusting a company. </div></div>

Fluting doesn't make the action any better. Tuning the factory trigger is actually cheaper as you have to buy a trigger if you go custom. The M16 extractor isn't necessarily necessary. So you could have saved a little cash if you'd so wished.

ya i know but the fluting looks awesome and i did save a bunch with the trigger. The extractor i wanted. But i do see what ya mean if i guy wanted to go bare bones ya could get by really cheap off a 700 action

Very informative videos. I never considered the price of a rail when calculating the differences. If the custom includes a rail, that definitely shrinks the gap in the price difference.

I will argue with STR about no one wanting the junk parts from a Remington. They sell pretty easy in Canada. I don't want them, but someone else always does!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">action deformity from doing a post machine heat treat was his point.....and it was pretty apparent

being that aftermarket/custom action pretreat before machine saves this deformity and therefore comes out with a stronger and more exact product </div></div>

we know this and is the reason we true remington's instead of running them as is. the "stronger" part is going to be seriously debatable unless you are talking about a monolithic receiver/rail/lug. "the more exact" part is going to depend on who does the truing work on the remington.

regardless, i want to see the information that shows remington has bad metallurgy and hardness and how it compares to aftermarket actions. i also want to know what surface you are cutting through on a remington when truing that an aftermarket action manufacture is not cutting through on final finish machining. that is what i am questioning....and i thought it was pretty apparent.

My gunsmith tells me he gets many times more uses from tooling when using it on Remingtons than using it on other stuff.

Mentioning cutting through heat treating, I was thinking of extractors. Since you don't have to modify that on a custom action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gunsmith tells me he gets many times more uses from tooling when using it on Remingtons than using it on other stuff.

Mentioning cutting through heat treating, I was thinking of extractors. Since you don't have to modify that on a custom action. </div></div>

could that be because the amount of material removed while truing a remington action is very minimal compared to what ever else he is machining?

Remington factory receivers are definitely weaker material than customs. I have seen Remington 700 receivers twist from using an action wrench on them. The customs use higher quality materials and they are definitely more sturdy. But with a proper stress free bedding job it doesn't matter anyway. So once everything on the Remmy is squared up what difference does it make?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gunsmith tells me he gets many times more uses from tooling when using it on Remingtons than using it on other stuff.

Mentioning cutting through heat treating, I was thinking of extractors. Since you don't have to modify that on a custom action. </div></div>

could that be because the amount of material removed while truing a remington action is very minimal compared to what ever else he is machining? </div></div>

Comparing Winchesters to Remingtons he says he gets 15 uses from a cutter on the latter two 1-2 on the former. He's probably one of the best guys to go to in the country for a push feed M70 build.