• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"custom action" thats not so tight

jclark

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Some day in the near future i'd like to build a rifle from scratch using the rem-age barrel system. What i would like though is the quality of a custom with the features ie: sako extractor, one piece bolt and bolt knob with extension, and maybe even a side bolt release. But the looseness of a remington. I'm worried about it getting dirt in it walking around and getting jammed up because of the super tight tolerances.

Re: "custom action" thats not so tight

Don't throw your gun in the dirt/mud and you'll be fine. Let the builder know what the intended use is and all will be good.

Take a look at Stiller actions. Their actions are relatively loose for a custom action.

Sounds like you should look into a Bighorn. It has most of what you seek already. You can have AJ make you a barrel nut for it too.

Fitting an action to run "real world" isn't a big deal. One just has to approach it a little differently. To some, removing a few .001's is an act of blasphemy.

If that is the case then I was the kid in the back pew binging on the doughnuts every Sunday morning.

Choose your action based on what you want. Discuss what you want with your smith, he should be able to adjust things to suit the application.

Good luck.

C.

Remington has made a "not so tight" action for a few years.

I read a discussion between Jerry Stiller and Jim Borden a few years back in which Borden swore his actions that were built very tight to benchrest tolerances had zero problems in hunting/field applications due to the tight specs. Stiller speced his hunting/tactical actions with more clearance than his benchrest actions to allow for dirt/dust/grime. I've had my Stiller Predator rifle through some nasty conditions and never had a problem, altough junk did get in the lug recesses. Can't say whether a tighter action would perform the same, though there are claims that they will.

I don't know the answer, but I don't think you can just discount what Borden said. He was building actions and rifles for hunting long before Stiller, and based his opinion on testing and real world experiences, not simply the commonly held beliefs. You will not find many if any dissapointments with either choice, and although they may exist, I haven't seen any accounts of a Neseika or Borden action failing due to dirt/dust/grime.