• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Actions

Re: Custom Actions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes maybe a small ammount. My point was it shouldn't matter which one he decides to use the processes are all the same. Sorry should have clarified that more. Some people have ideas about what works and what doesnt. Alot of opinion is in their. But yes you are very right.</div></div>

The smith needs to work the action. Custom or not, he still needs to examine/ measure it. Maybe there is less of a chance that the custom will need to be re-worked, but the smith is going to have to do something. I would rather have him do that something with an action that he has experience with, that he knows how to work with, and he knows what he can get away with vis-a-vis tolerances versus what doesn't matter.

Surgeons are great actions, but if I ask my smith to build a gun based on one, I don't want it to be the first time he has dealt with it. I don't want him going to the blueprint to figure out if it is built correctly. And I want him to know which specs really matter... this takes a lot of experience. So I go with what my smith is comfortable with because I know that he builds accurate rifles and he knows how to make an accurate gun versus what I theoretically think will make an accurate gun. I have opinions, but I ultimately have to trust my smith. And if I really disagree with him, maybe I need a different smith, but I have more faith in his opinion than mine. He is the builder.

If this were some DIY project, that would be different. You have to work within the bounds of what your smith's skills.

As an example, if I were to build something on a Mauser action, I would probably give a call to Mark Lammers over at Losok because he works with that action a lot and makes accurate weapons.

Others might not care about this experience element, and that is fine, but I do.

Ok, not to be a asshole her becuasue im not trying to be. Has anyone that thinks a custom action needs work ever worked on a custom action or had a rifle built off a custom action? (Thats needed work)

This same question about a Remmy VS a custom has popped up lately. Who cares! The 2 are really not that different, ones orginally built to factory specs that can be turned into what a custom action specs out as. While the other (custom) is a action that spec out what a custom should be. Benchrest shooters have shot both and had great sucess with both. Now custom actions can be held to alot closer tolerance than ever before. Will the average joe tell the difference-NO. But in benchrest shooting every little bit counts. A minor fraction of a inches could seperate you from first to last. Thats why the hardcore competitive benchrest shooter use custom actions.

Ive got both and like them both as Jered says, "shut up and shoot".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes maybe a small ammount. My point was it shouldn't matter which one he decides to use the processes are all the same. Sorry should have clarified that more. Some people have ideas about what works and what doesnt. Alot of opinion is in their. But yes you are very right.</div></div>

The smith needs to work the action. Custom or not, he still needs to examine/ measure it. Maybe there is less of a chance that the custom will need to be re-worked, but the smith is going to have to do something. I would rather have him do that something with an action that he has experience with, that he knows how to work with, and he knows what he can get away with vis-a-vis tolerances versus what doesn't matter.

Surgeons are great actions, but if I ask my smith to build a gun based on one, I don't want it to be the first time he has dealt with it. I don't want him going to the blueprint to figure out if it is built correctly. And I want him to know which specs really matter... this takes a lot of experience. So I go with what my smith is comfortable with because I know that he builds accurate rifles and he knows how to make an accurate gun versus what I theoretically think will make an accurate gun. I have opinions, but I ultimately have to trust my smith. And if I really disagree with him, maybe I need a different smith, but I have more faith in his opinion than mine. He is the builder.

If this were some DIY project, that would be different. You have to work within the bounds of what your smith's skills.

As an example, if I were to build something on a Mauser action, I would probably give a call to Mark Lammers over at Losok because he works with that action a lot and makes accurate weapons.

Others might not care about this experience element, and that is fine, but I do. </div></div>

If you had more experience then you do you would know that you didnt make any point there. Guns work like guns. The type doesnt make a difference as most gunsmiths would point out that guns all work the same. If the faces are true, raceway tight and the chamber good that the gun shoot great. As pointed out earlier in the threads the "driver" has more to do with it then anything. If your smith has worked on a 1000 remy's then he is more then comfortable working on any receiver out their...

Hi Guys,

This might be a little off topic but, starting with the cheapest, what would you pick as the best value for money actions? Approx price as well please. Surgeon is going to be near the top I guess, with a price of around $1300, or so I'm led to believe.

The action has to fit the footprint of a Rem700 Short action.

I've already got the stock and bottom metal(Yes, I know it's a bit arse about face, but that's the way it is!)

The build is going to be in .260Rem or 6.5x47Lap

Price is an issue, but there are always ways to find the money.

Thanks guys,

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,

This might be a little off topic but, starting with the cheapest, what would you pick as the best value for money actions? Approx price as well please. Surgeon is going to be near the top I guess, with a price of around $1300, or so I'm led to believe.

The action has to fit the footprint of a Rem700 Short action.

I've already got the stock and bottom metal(Yes, I know it's a bit arse about face, but that's the way it is!)

The build is going to be in .260Rem or 6.5x47Lap

Price is an issue, but there are always ways to find the money.

Thanks guys,

N </div></div>

Surgeon makes a cheaper model w/o integrated base, the RSR $750 or so.

Thanks for that.

I intend to have a rifle built on a Surgeon action, but that is a project for the future. What I need right now is a "cheap" action to build a .260/6.5 cal hunting/tacticool rifle.

I would like to be able to fit a DM in the future, but I have the standard Rem700 hinged floorplate at the moment.

I like the sound of a Surgeon action for $750 though. Definately something to think about!

Thanks again.

N