• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom barrel makers

Shortdraw

Alaskan Guide
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
I always wondered why many of the best premium barrel makers are in Wisconsin? The list is long. Can anyone explain it?

Re: Custom barrel makers

It's the yellow cheese. I once brought some good, sharp NY and Vermont chedder up there and almost got killed! Helga and Sven where reallllllly pissed!

Alan

I think most if not all are disciples Boots Obermyer.

People tend to split off from one company and start a new company.
So someone works for obermeyer and then leaves and starts their own company.
Then someone works there for a while and splits off into THEIR own company etc.
With all the barrel makers so close to each other, I bet there are even a few employees that have worked at multiple shops in the area...

None of the major barrel makers have worked for Obermeyer. The Bartlein guys worked for Krieger. Brux barrels doesn't have any employees that ever worked for Krieger. It's just that Wisconsin is a good place to make barrels I suppose.

Cheese+beer=barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess thats why there are no barrel makers in Texas
Cheese + beer = the shits</div></div>

LMAO hilarious

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always wondered why many of the best premium barrel makers are in Wisconsin? The list is long. Can anyone explain it? </div></div>

It's snows for near six months out of the year.... what else is there to do, except spend time in the shop, hunt and ice fish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess thats why there are no barrel makers in Texas</div></div>

I love your humor, but don't discount Shilen. They make GOOD barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's snows for near six months out of the year.... what else is there to do, except spend time in the shop, hunt and ice fish. </div></div>

^this

And the Brats to go with the beer and cheese

We never worked for Kreiger barrels, that would be the guys from Bartlein. Two of us worked for Broughton when it first started. I believe Mike Rock (Rock Creek) , Jack Kreiger (Kreiger), and Ernie Stahlman (Badger) learned from Boots Obermeyer but didn't exactly work for him. The only one I know of that actually was an apprentice of Obermeyer was Mark Chanlynn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are all you guys friends or what? Do you have barrel maker picnics and such? </div></div>

Yes we get together every weekend and get drunk and hang out, then it takes us two or three days to recover, why do you think that the wait on barrels is so long.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes we get together every weekend and get drunk and hang out, then it takes us two or three days to recover, why do you think that the wait on barrels is so long.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I wana drink with barrel a maker or two...

Cut Rifled much pretty nailed it as I can remember the history. In Wisconsin it's a tradition for master craftsman to pass on the knowledge(German influance?). Boots has an open door policy. When I lived in SE Wisconsin, twenty some years ago, I spent a few afternoons there. Boots is a fantastic teacher.

I believe Boots went to Trinidad College and I think a few students did some "post graduate" work there after P.O. was gone. Mark Chanlynn was one. David Gentry may have been another.

Earnie Stahlman worked with boots - doing his contour work. I believe Mike Rock and Boots worked on the 5R concept together. I think Jack Krieger spent at least a little time there - He came from a machine shop background so he probably figured a lot of that stuff out on his own.

Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes, like I said this was 20+ years ago. I'm sure it would make pretty fasinating book.

Dale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always wondered why many of the best premium barrel makers are in Wisconsin? The list is long. Can anyone explain it? </div></div>

It's the Leinies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
grin.gif
</div></div>

I wana drink with barrel a maker or two... </div></div>

Brat fest in Sheboygan is this weekend, beer, chees, brats, never know who will be caught hangin out there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess thats why there are no barrel makers in Texas</div></div>

I love your humor, but don't discount Shilen. They make GOOD barrels. </div></div>

Then there is always Bill Wiseman, original gunny to make the first 120+ M40's... Your test barrels for the indusrty, world standard quality....

Bill Wiseman Ballistics

Yeah from Texas.

Great option is Rock Creek Barrel with custom contour/chambering doen by Jim Ruiz Predator Custom in Knoxville Tn. He has done 10 barrels for me (and my customers) this year and all have been TAC drivers. I am very glad I took the suggestion to use him when the guys @ Rock gave it. Top quality 5 R barrel and top quality craftsman perfect combo

Semper Fi