• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Barrel Shanks Size

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
I have a Remington 700 SA I am thinking of rebarreling. I want to fit a barrel the same as the OEM heavy barrel. I know that's a Remington 'Sendero' or 'Varmint' contour, but I'm concerned about the shank length. I seem to remember reading that the shank lengths on a custom barrels are longer than the Remington's- Is this true?

I have a painted Edge stock so I want to avoid milling.

Re: Custom Barrel Shanks Size

Do you want a blank or a prethread?
Blanks seriously vary by manufacturer, you can always cut it off from the back forward to get your taper to match. But if you mess anything up, you don't have a great deal of room to go forward.
A prethread contour should drop right in with the potential for only minor fitting.

We make the remington varmint as a standard contoured barrel. The breech length etc...is all standard.

On requests we do make the breech lengths longer etc...

Go to our website and click on contours. The #13 listed is the standard Rem. Varmint.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You can cut part of the shank off to make the blank fit your stock or send the take off in and have a custom contour turned to match.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm happy there are few ways to skin this cat. I really did want to mess with the stock.