• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom cut yardage turret - Programmable to Ziess RF Binoculars?

robinsg61le

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Here's what I need to figure out:

I'd like to have a custom yardage turret cut to align with the ballistics of my .300 PRC (225 ELDX / 2850 fps / 4000 ft elev / 50-degree temp)

I was hoping I could program this info into the Ziess Victory RF binoculars and have the binoculars display the adjusted yardage considering atmospheric conditions.

For example, (after having zeroed my gun in the aforementioned conditions and having a custom yardage turret cut to match) I might range a target at say, 780 actual yards at 10,000 ft. elev with a 10-degree temperature. Are these binocs capable of providing the adjusted output of say "710 yards," which would be adjusted yardage considering current atmospheric conditions as compared to my originally cut custom yardage turret?

I have been told these binocs will only allow me to use MOA format if I am considering atmospheric conditions... In that case, I would not be able to have a custom yardage turret cut and still enjoy the accuracy of the binocs taking into account atmospheric adjustments.

Can anyone confirm 100% one way or the other? Thank you for your help!

Yeah, that's not going to work. Most ballistic programs give you an elevation setting, to instead give you a range to match a previous zero condition would require a fair bit of new code.

I'm not quite sure why you want a turret made to yards for specific conditions if you already realize it will only work under those conditions and you will dial something else anyway. What do you see as the advantage to this over simply dialing the computed comeup in Mil/MOA?

I have no experience with mil/moa. I have custom turrets now... It sounds like I will have to use the MOA computation method. Can this be done quickly for game hunting?

It's really all the same thing. You dial to a specific mark on the knob. The only difference is what number it is. dialing 500y, 9 MOA or 2.6 Mil is all the same thing. The problem is when you use yards only, that knob only works under a given density altitude, after which you need to change the setting +/- something. Your custom knob already has either MOA or Mil settings, the 'in-between clicks' interspersed between the yard marks. So you are already using one or the other, you just don't realize it.

For most hunting, you will set a PBZ, or point blank zero for a given size vital zone and just hold center from muzzle to a far range value. In the case of a 300 PRC and an 8" vital zone, that PBZ will be about 300 yards and you hold center as long as the target is closer that 375 or so (i did not do the exact math).

If you are shooting at extended ranges, you need time to range, compute and dial a solution. It does not matter how the solution is displayed, the work/time is the same.

With the Zeiss RF, you will program the ballistics of the cartridge into the onboard computer. When you ping a target, it will do the computation for you and simply say dial X. MOA or Mils, just depends on your scopes dial. You dial to that number and shoot.

Look at the space between say 500 and 600 on your custom dial. If I said dial 529y, what would you do? there is no 529 on the dial, you'd pick something between 5 and 6, and there are more than a few clicks between them.

If you have mils or MOA, it will say dial 2.3, so you dial to the number 2 plus 3 tick marks, then shoot. Is that 2.3 MOA or 2.3 mils? If the computer is setup to your scope, it does not matter, even though those are two very different adjustments.

I see. That was very helpful. I think I just need to spend some time shooting and getting comfortable with the MOA method.