• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Custom die questions

Dstnpyn10

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Hello fellas
I had a few questions regarding custom dies. I am currently building a 7mm wsm based on necking down the 300 wsm case. I can't find anyone that makes dies for the 7/300wsm. I was wondering if y'all knew of anyone. Also if not I was thinking that maybe i could full length size the 300 case as a 300 to set the shoulders then run it into a 300 neck size die with a small bushing to neck it down. Just spitballing but I appreciate the help guys.

If you can live without totaly custom's, I'm sure Redding offers them at their custom rate.

Here's a article from 6mm BR, mentions what you want.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Looks like a 300WSM sizer with correct bushings would work. The 7mm WSM seater should work, case diameter and shoulder angle look the same as 300wsm.

Last edited:
Currently redding nor rcbs or forester offer a die set for the 7mm/300 wsm.

If you send them your reamer of a fired casing, can't they make you a die?

redding type s sizer die in .300wsm, get whatever diameter neck bushing you need for your brass/bullet combination. For seater try a 7mm-08 custom seater and have the gunsmith run your chamber reamer into it and voila, you are set

redding type s sizer die in .300wsm, get whatever diameter neck bushing you need for your brass/bullet combination. For seater try a 7mm-08 custom seater and have the gunsmith run your chamber reamer into it and voila, you are set

If the 300wsm sizer will work, why won't the 7mm WSM seater work without mods?

The .270 and .300wsm are same basic body and taper. The 7wsm has been modified such that it has more powder capacity and shorter neck. This is why many go for the modified 7/300 wsm, cartridge is already overbore and the longer neck on .300 allows for better concentricity.

even ch4d does not have it listed they don't even carry anything for the regular 7mm wsm.

looks like redding can do it for me. finally got to go over an updated caliber list from them. so thats a good thing if anyone knows of anyone else i should try please speak up. or of any more ideas all information is welcomed. the only reason i was thinking about the full length sizing and then neck sizing it down was because i already have a set of full length 300 wsm sizing dies. and alls i would need to do is get a bushing style neck sizer with a small bushing. and then the issue would be seating.

I don't understand the "problem":

"The 270 Winchester Short Magnum or 270 WSM is a short, unbelted, magnum Cartridge (firearms) created by necking down the .300 Winchester Short Magnum and fitting it with a .277 caliber bullet. The correct name for the cartridge, as listed by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), is 270 WSM, without a decimal point."

I don't understand the "problem":

"The 270 Winchester Short Magnum or 270 WSM is a short, unbelted, magnum Cartridge (firearms) created by necking down the .300 Winchester Short Magnum and fitting it with a .277 caliber bullet. The correct name for the cartridge, as listed by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), is 270 WSM, without a decimal point."

Fuzz,
He wants 7mm 300 WSM.

CH4D may not have it listed but they will make anything you want. Give them a call and send them the info and they will get it done. It may take anywhere from 3-6 months though as special orders take time. I have a set of CH4D dies for .408 cheytac and they are very high quality.

Milo (#14), you're right; in a senior moment I cut and pasted the wrong (.270 WSM) cartridge for the topic. What I meant to post was:

Wikipedia: "The 7mm WSM is based on the .300 WSM case necked down to handle .284" bullets. Winchester claims a muzzle velocity (MV) of 3,225 ft/s with a 140 grain bullet for their 7mm WSM cartridge; the claimed muzzle energy (ME) is 3,233 ft. lbs. With a 160 grain bullet the Winchester figures are 2990 ft/s and 3176 ft. lbs. at the muzzle. The lighter, shorter 7mm bullets are preferred in these short case magnums."

So I still don't see the problem; other than changing the name to "7mm-300WSM" how can we make a current production factory round become a "wildcat"??

Fuzz,
The 7mm case was made longer than the other two, so one could not fire a 7mm in 270, even though the shoulder angle is the same, it's a different beast all together. The reason for using the 300 case, is neck length, for seating depth purposes.

Okay, I know there's a slight difference in neck length (don't know how much). If the bullet's runout is the same I doubt there's a nickle's worth of difference on targets but whatever it takes to float anyone's boat is worth them pursuing.