• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Hunting Rifle

lassy18

ILTW
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2020
Southwest
So I am looking into getting a custom huting build done for me. Few questions I'd like some insight on.

Who is a reputable gunsmith

Goal is Elk, but would also like to use it for mule dear, I was thinking 300nm as I would already have the reloading components for this

Short barrel (I know people are going to flip out on short barrelled 300nm) but I don't want to be hiking out a 26" barreled rifle lol, but does anyone have time behind the gun on a short barreled 300 norma

If not 300nm what would be some others to entertain.

308 is deff a solid hunting round, i have one of those, 30-06 i'd have to compare the ballistics and energy out to 1k, i do not know a lot of the data behind that round

How far do you want to kill elk at? Generally I pick based on the distance I hunt. Inside 800 go 300 wsm and make it a 8 lb rifle. Over 800 go norma mag, 300 rum or step up to a 338. In a 10-12 lb platform. If I wanted a super light for 500 and in go 308 win.

@EA Jim norma is what I am thinking, keep things inside of 1k and i'll already have all the reloading stuff from my mrad for 300 norma, just bouncing things off of you guys to see if there is something else I should be considering, i appreciate it

Good choice we plowed deer out to 1180 and elk out to 900 with the bigger class of 30 cals.

Reactions: lassy18
One of our best years, lots of packing that week. I was the only one in the group using a 338. Otherwise 7mm and 30s

Attachments

• 20201203_091748.jpg
    20201203_091748.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 172
Damn!!!! that's awesome! I have a 338lm, she's heavy and long, savage 110(nothing special) and deff not something i would want to lug around in the back country lol

So I am looking into getting a custom huting build done for me. Few questions I'd like some insight on.

Goal is Elk, but would also like to use it for mule dear, I was thinking 300nm as I would already have the reloading components for this

Short barrel (I know people are going to flip out on short barrelled 300nm) but I don't want to be hiking out a 26" barreled rifle lol, but does anyone have time behind the gun on a short barreled 300 norma

Call TS customs.

Not to be an ass, but why not shoot them closer? Spend the time to learn how to get close and save $1,000’s on Ammo and barrels learning to shoot at 1,000 yards. Most hunting shots in the usa are under 100 yards. If killing things at 800+ is your thing, go forth. I prefer a full freezer over a story of my long range kill. I’ve hunted from Alabama to California and my longest shot has been 150 yards. I prefer to hunt hard and get an easy off hand shot, instead of hoping for a 5 minute window to find a rest, range and calculate everything.

@Slab74 your opinion is noted, for close range stuff i'd rather go with a bow, I'd like to have the options available to go on any hunt that I see fit. If I want to put myself through the suckfest of a long hike and a long shot than so be it. But I do not want to be in a situation where I am keyholed into one option. It would be a shitty day to be on a hunt with the goal of being inside of 150 and see something farther out there and not have the means to ethically put it down and fill my freezer :)

Keep them coming there's been some fucking awesome feedback so far!

@Slab74 your opinion is noted, for close range stuff i'd rather go with a bow, I'd like to have the options available to go on any hunt that I see fit. If I want to put myself through the suckfest of a long hike and a long shot than so be it. But I do not want to be in a situation where I am keyholed into one option. It would be a shitty day to be on a hunt with the goal of being inside of 150 and see something farther out there and not have the means to ethically put it down and fill my freezer :)

Keep them coming there's been some fucking awesome feedback so far!
Alright, a bit more info than at first. I second what Slab74 wrote, but now understand your point of view. I do have (my own) worries about moving past the 400 yd mark for ethical reasons.

If you accept that limit, the 30-06 will be enough, cheap and easy to get.

Reactions: YotaEer
20200110_074638.jpg

Altus built
26" Proof Sendero
Titanium 5port Muscle brake
300 Norma
Defiance Deviant Hunter
Manners carbon MCST
NF 4-16 atacr
Weighs about 10.5lbs with optic
Easy to carry and pack
IMG_20201002_044430_373.jpg

The gunwerx podcast has some great episodes that discuss these very considerations.

If you build a 300 Norma mountain rifle, it will almost definitely be too light to shoot well or too heavy and get left at home.

I would seriously reconsider the 300 Norma or any other 30 cal magnum.

A Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC at 5.5Lb is the money.

Or if you want more power thatcloser in kinetic energy to the 300 Norma, perhaps consider the Element in 28 Nosler at 6Lb.

If you want it custom, a 7mm Magnum of your choice built to be as close to 7lb as possible is probably the solution.

Limiting yourself to 300 Norma due to a few hundred bucks in reloading supplies is not the way to go.

Reactions: DJL2 and lassy18

We kinda in the same boat. With @kthomas reccomendation. I went with LP titanium 338 fuzion and TS customs. All 3 comapnies / dudes were super helpful. Just got parts to travis a few weeks ago, so just waiting now and prepping with other stuff.

I hunt goats in mountains so wanted to have that 300nm for stopping power and not givin those guys a chance to run off cliffs where they would fall 300ft. Also went with a short 22 bartlein carbon since im on the side of a mtn 90% time.

Will let you know how it pans out soon.

Travis has built all my rifles since 2015.. from light hunting guns to match guns.

He builds a bunch of light to midweight hunting rifles like you are looking to build.

The gunwerx podcast has some great episodes that discuss these very considerations.

If you build a 300 Norma mountain rifle, it will almost definitely be too light to shoot well or too heavy and get left at home.

I would seriously reconsider the 300 Norma or any other 30 cal magnum.

A Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC at 5.5Lb is the money.

Or if you want more power thatcloser in kinetic energy to the 300 Norma, perhaps consider the Element in 28 Nosler at 6Lb.

If you want it custom, a 7mm Magnum of your choice built to be as close to 7lb as possible is probably the solution.

Limiting yourself to 300 Norma due to a few hundred bucks in reloading supplies is not the way to go.
^^^^^^ I agree. I'm a 300 norma fan but for a hunting rig, I'd consider other caliber options for the sake of weight and recoil.

I think you're on the right track going with a shorter barreled 30 cal, for long range elk my 7mm has not impressed me at all..
I'm currently waiting for a 24" 30 Nosler barrel to screw on for LR elk, the 7mm will be retired to deer hunting.

I've had a 300 NM and hated how much brass trimming was needed, IMO the 30 Nos is one of the best case designs with the 35 degree shoulder, and about perfect capacity.

Lots of good lightweight actions to chose from, the anTi would be at the top of my list.

I generally hunt wooded areas with a 338-06 and more open areas with a 300 wsm @22 inches. I am waiting on a 300 PRC from SAC @26 inches. I am one of those who also prefers to get close to game, especially elk, but I don't think there is a downside in having a flatter shooting cartridge just in case. I find the 300 WSM has basically no recoil, and is a very good option.

I’ve been thinking more on this, and here is some brief and basic comparisons on ballistics.

A Hornady 208gr ELD-M at 3000fps. Let’s say from a 300Winmag or a 300WSM:
050A6E71-CE99-4A75-ABAF-38FEEC24F732.jpeg

Next, the same Hornady 208Gr ELD-M at 3150fps from a hypothetical 300 Norma Magnum. You could go heavier, but recoil in a light gun is a factor.
7F2DB69C-97B4-4631-B946-62E9595967C7.jpeg

End result is it buys you an extra 100 yards of maximum range, with 4inches less wind drift at 1000yds. Not all that significant for the penalties it brings.

Interestingly, a Hornady 7mm 180gr ELD-M at a moderate 3000fps from let’s say a 7mm WSM:
EF527563-372B-469B-956A-AA5DA3D75ED4.jpeg

The 7mm is getting to 1500yds with only 10inches more drop, 15 inches LESS wind deflection, its 90fps faster and having only 12ft/lb less kinetic energy then the big booming 208gr ELD-M from the 300 Norma Magnum which starts 150fps faster, with more weight, heavier recoil, increased muzzle blast, and more expense. The slower starting 300 WSM is no comparison.

Finally I included a 140gr ELD-M at 3000fps to replicate a 6.5PRC. It obviously can’t keep up with the above due to its BC disadvantage, but would be far nicer to shoot.
034D0CC0-AB2C-43C3-BB53-4FA9388E4712.jpeg

A custom lightweight 7mm WSM set up to run the 180ELD-M as long as possible in a short action carbon stocked rifle with a muzzle brake would be the best compromise between weight, ballistics, and recoil management as far as I can see.

I reckon a Seekins Havak Element (5.5lbs!) with a 7mm WSM tube screwed on would be awesome.

I really enjoy my 280 and haven't lacked for anything.

I always read about shooters wanting to build a super magnum and light weight hunting rig.

I believe this statement to be very true and I would much rather have a rifle that I can shoot well than one that gives me a flinch. Of course many hunters claim to be not affected by recoil. Im sure they have plenty of generous things to say about their dick too. Any 7mm a 6.5 will be fine if you can hit your 🎯 well.

I’ve been thinking more on this, and here is some brief and basic comparisons on ballistics.

A Hornady 208gr ELD-M at 3000fps. Let’s say from a 300Winmag or a 300WSM:
View attachment 7587182

Next, the same Hornady 208Gr ELD-M at 3150fps from a hypothetical 300 Norma Magnum. You could go heavier, but recoil in a light gun is a factor.
View attachment 7587192
End result is it buys you an extra 100 yards of maximum range, with 4inches less wind drift at 1000yds. Not all that significant for the penalties it brings.

Interestingly, a Hornady 7mm 180gr ELD-M at a moderate 3000fps from let’s say a 7mm WSM:
View attachment 7587193
The 7mm is getting to 1500yds with only 10inches more drop, 15 inches LESS wind deflection, its 90fps faster and having only 12ft/lb less kinetic energy then the big booming 208gr ELD-M from the 300 Norma Magnum which starts 150fps faster, with more weight, heavier recoil, increased muzzle blast, and more expense. The slower starting 300 WSM is no comparison.

Finally I included a 140gr ELD-M at 3000fps to replicate a 6.5PRC. It obviously can’t keep up with the above due to its BC disadvantage, but would be far nicer to shoot.
View attachment 7587197

A custom lightweight 7mm WSM set up to run the 180ELD-M as long as possible in a short action carbon stocked rifle with a muzzle brake would be the best compromise between weight, ballistics, and recoil management as far as I can see.

I reckon a Seekins Havak Element (5.5lbs!) with a 7mm WSM tube screwed on would be awesome.
I see you picked the highest bc 7mm bullet and a mediocre 30 cal for your comparison.
Also the Eldm sucks for hunting, way too explosive and inconsistent from what I've seen.
Energy on target is one thing but mass wins every time for killing elk, especially way out there

Reactions: Aftermath
I see you picked the highest bc 7mm bullet and a mediocre 30 cal for your comparison.
Also the Eldm sucks for hunting, way too explosive and inconsistent from what I've seen.
Energy on target is one thing but mass wins every time for killing elk, especially way out there
I definitely see what you’re saying, but it was not my intention to pick the 30 cal projectile solely on BC. By the time you’re getting up to the 225gr and 230gr range of projectiles at a quick velocity - it’s going to be heavy recoil in a light gun.

But you are correct that it is somewhat mismatched in the comparison, apologies.

I definitely see what you’re saying, but it was not my intention to pick the 30 cal projectile solely on BC. By the time you’re getting up to the 225gr and 230gr range of projectiles at a quick velocity - it’s going to be heavy recoil in a light gun.

But you are correct that it is somewhat mismatched in the comparison, apologies.
No worries I was just pointing out that it wasn't a perfect comparison
I get where you're coming from with recoil but there are some really impressive copper bullets coming online, Badlands makes a 30 cal 205 grain super bulldozer bullet with a claimed bc of .785
I have a box to try out when I get my barrel back, if the bc is anywhere close it'll be a hell of a missile
Here it is next to a 245 Berger
20210321_194855.jpg

Reactions: Just Macca
I really enjoy my 280 and haven't lacked for anything.

I always read about shooters wanting to build a super magnum and light weight hunting rig.

I believe this statement to be very true and I would much rather have a rifle that I can shoot well than one that gives me a flinch. Of course many hunters claim to be not affected by recoil. Im sure they have plenty of generous things to say about their dick too. Any 7mm a 6.5 will be fine if you can hit your 🎯 well.
My dick has very generous recoil.

For a smith I would highly recommend Score Hi in Albuquerque. he built my hunting gun. (30-06) it is a hammer and comes in at 10.5 pounds. For my hunting the 30-06 has been enough. The largest animal it has taken was an Oryx at 400 yards. The -06 launches 180 grains at 2880fps.

Score Hi link

View attachment 7588136
Highly second this builder.
ScoreHi has built me 3 rifles, 2 of which are hunters. One is a .280 Ackley and the other is a 300WM. Both are exceptionally accurate.
IMG_1387.jpg

Reactions: High Desert duck
This rifle got out on the back burner, picked up an MRAD for other things, plus still doing to research on my end talking with others out there on the subject

Give Jon Beanland a call - Beanland Custom Rifles. He’ll help you decide on what would suit you best and build you a great rifle.

Reactions: ccollier
If you don't like the 208 ELD-M you can also look at the 212 ELD-X. That's assuming that more pedestrian offerings like the 178 ELD-X and 180 Bondstrike don't do it for you.

I've come to a realization of sorts - I've never loaded or fired ammunition consistent enough to take a shot beyond 600 yards on game (before wind calling, shot making, etc. come into play), so my own performance requirements are relatively tame and don't require anything larger than a .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag (or something comparable...).

Short barreled magnums are awesome. You obviously give up speed, but still faster than a non magnum with a short barrel.

I have a 20" barrel 7SS, I am shooting 175 berger's at 2850, and I never hit pressure during my first ladder but it shot so well I just stuck with it.

Unknown Munitions has a 20" 300 RUM that he hunts with, he is shooting 215 Bergers at 3100fps from it. He is a great follow on instagram btw.

Another vote for Travis over at TS Customs. His work is phenomenal and a great guy to discuss and help you with your decision. Travis uses LP Actions and Hawkins Precision BTM. He is a big fan of McMillian stocks, TT Triggers and Benchmark barrels so will probably already have what you want in stock or at least on order. He may not be the cheapest but his workmanship and parts quality is top notch.
BTW I have a 300 NM getting built from him right now with the sole purpose for Elk in the mountains. It should end up just at 10 lbs and be very shootable with a brake.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
For a smith I would highly recommend Score Hi in Albuquerque. he built my hunting gun. (30-06) it is a hammer and comes in at 10.5 pounds. For my hunting the 30-06 has been enough. The largest animal it has taken was an Oryx at 400 yards. The -06 launches 180 grains at 2880fps.

Score Hi link

View attachment 7588136
That's hot... not even gonna cut the image out, because it deserves to be reposted.

Reactions: 808Huntress
If you want a custom for the sake of a custom, have at it. If this just needs to be an accurate hammer, a 5R mil spec Remmy thrown into a (properly bedded) HTG is tough to beat. I hunted in Africa several years ago with a 5R mil spec in 300WM and could not have been happier with the results.

That said, I don't take shots on game at 1,000 yards. I am a good shot, but my small mistake turns into their miserable demise and/or a lost animal.

Most of my hunting now is white tail (which are fragile), unlike elk (which are tough), so I can caliber down. And even with that, I usually still grab a 300WM, ammo available all over the world, plenty of range, plenty of purpose-built bullets; and recoil that doesn't invoke a flinch.

I've seen too many animals wounded by too many hunters that overestimated their abilities. I don't know that the long range hunters here fall in that category, but if I were a betting man...

If you’re dead set on a custom, then go for it - but I’d just get a blaser r8 and be done with it. Mine are hammers and repeat 0 perfectly every single time i disassemble and reassemble them. And i mean take stock and scope off and reassemble between every shot and shoot a half inch group. They’re amazing rifles and you cant beat the bolt speed.
That mag setup irks me. I was really into the R93, but the R8 just leaves me cold for some reason.

If you’re dead set on a custom, then go for it - but I’d just get a blaser r8 and be done with it. Mine are hammers and repeat 0 perfectly every single time i disassemble and reassemble them. And i mean take stock and scope off and reassemble between every shot and shoot a half inch group. They’re amazing rifles and you cant beat the bolt speed.

CF93113F-4150-4D67-8087-071653928A9A.jpeg

Reactions: Bri0242 and S_R
I have an 11lbs scoped 300 NM pushing the 215’s at 3100 fps. The rifles recoil is very manageable. I won’t say it’s not a lot, but it’s not terrible in any way and very easy to shoot well!!

Defiance deviant
Hells canyon armoury
Manners eh5a
Tt special

Just to give an update on the 300nm with LP fuzion TI. Heard back from travis. Rifle is being cerakoted and should ship to me in 1-2wks. Will post an update when it comes.

I remember when i got my call from Travis great feeling he built me a 223AI on a LP Ti Fusion action and i love it.

Reactions: Painless300