• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom long actions for left handed: Defiance Deviant Tactical or Terminous Zeus?

eirikheim

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2023
Finnsnes, Norway
Wanted an AI multicaliber rifle,but diffucult for a left handed.

Building a custom rifle. 338 and 6,5x47L

Which of these two actions?

Importing to Norway.

I think there would be a zero change when switching between calibers or cartridges on ANY QC system.

I have had my Zues QC 6.5 CM barrel on and off and the zero hasn't changed at all.

There is going to be zero change between 338 and 6.5 but once you know how much it’s gunna be. Just write it down and you won’t had to worry about it

Nothing to think about then. Terminous all the way. This will be my ELR rifle up to around 2000 meters and some playing with prs with 6,5x47l and in my car or with me on special hunting scenarios. I have a Tikka T3 in a GSR Varg stock in 6,5x55 from before and will use it for most of my hunting and some training. It has a Kahles 318i. Lovely scope.

Mine is bedded in the MDT ACC.

If memory serves me correctly... Joel Russo (owner of Terminus) has his bedded in the MDT ACC as well.

Personally I would see about lone peak or impacts. Both are superior actions IMO. Deviant is also old old tech and not even prefit capable. Why pay top price for 2015 tech?

I am pretty sure there's a video of 6.5 creedmoor running in an LA zeus. Don't see why you couldn't do your 6.5 and 338 in one.

Found it:

I am pretty sure there's a video of 6.5 creedmoor running in an LA zeus. Don't see why you couldn't do your 6.5 and 338 in one.

Found it:

cause those are good guys to use as an example :rolleyes:

not saying it can't be done. but PRS style shooting with a SA cartridge in a LA is very far from ideal

cause those are good guys to use as an example :rolleyes:

not saying it can't be done. but PRS style shooting with a SA cartridge in a LA is very far from ideal

.....op never said anything about prs style shooting. He asked about an action that can do both....there is an action that can do both. That's it.

No shit it's not ideal for PRS or competition, what a revelation that is Socrates.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
This will be my ELR rifle up to around 2000 meters and some playing with prs with 6,5x47l and in my car or with me on special hunting
.....op never said anything about prs style shooting. He asked about an action that can do both....there is an action that can do both. That's it.

No shit it's not ideal for PRS or competition, what a revelation that is Socrates.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Maybe you should try reading the thread instead of going off half cocked.

Reactions: b6graham
This rifle is ment to be optimized for ERL shooting. The other stuff will be next in line and as long as I am able to play a bit. I do not shoot PRS as of now, and there is not a community locally that does that. I think I will shoot ERL and the next will me a bit of training or when I feel I need and are good enough for long range hunting. That I trust this rifle more or feel more confident than with the Tikka T3 of some reason.

This is how I think. I need to be confident to make the shoot at double the range of a hunting range. If I am confident at 1000 meters I could make an attempt at 500 meters hunting in good conditions and very stable position.

I also want everything in one (of the rifles I do not have already) since I also hunt a lot with my shotgun and have a drilling as well with the bit odd cartridge 6,5x52r. I need to have time to get to use all the weapons, not just have them laying around.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Terminous is also old tech?

Why is that?
No the defiant deviant is. The terminus is not a great action imo. I had one ( kratos) and sold it bolt lift was terrible and it had feeding issues with bolt drag. They are local and a number of guys switched to arc cdg which is a smoother action. The QC function is a gimmic since all these actions except the deviant can take shouldered prefits. I would get some trigger time before you buy/import.

Mine was a 300 norma. I would hands down take an impact or lone peak over any terminus or Curtis derivative action. BAT is another good one you should check out as well.

I am not able to try these different actions. This will not be easy, hehe. The gun smith was the one talking about the Defiance, and another Left handed told me about Terminous. And multiple shooters on this forum speaks well about the Zeus. If I could try all this out, but I can not. And the next thing is that is hard to import as well.

You didn't say what 338 but if you are talking a big 338, you need to forget about one rifle for both cartridges.

But of the two actions listed, the Deviant is the best choice.

Well I think the main issue here is that OP wants to do PRS style with a long action with a 6.5x47. So now you have to deal with the questionable reliability and do they even make a 284/3006 10 rounds magazine ?
Most guys that I know who runs LA MAGS switchbarrel to SA cartridge (IE 300 PRC switchable to 6BR) for practice/fun they do so with a AICS LA sled.
I'd also go with something that you could just switch the bolt head like Arc Nuke 2.0, CDG, etc
I don't think prefit matters anyways, how much of a prefit market/availability is there in Norway ? Most likely the OP will get blanks chambered by a local smith, be way cheaper than going through imports/exports.

Why is that?
re: 338 QC
@eirikheim
I don't know for sure, what I can relay for certain is I wanted something similar (Zeus QC) where I could switch between a 300 PRC and 338/300 Norma Mag. The smith said "We do not recommend the QC, and recommend a full tenon for 338"

A lot of what I hear (take with grain of salt) is the 338 bolt face is so big that there is not enough material in the action remaining to stand the high stress. I could be 100% wrong, but there is always chatter about the 338s, tenon size, thread pitch and action diameter. Since I am not experienced, I just went with what they recommend.

Zeus will do a 338 fine, just with threaded tenon. AND its fairly easy to barrel swap with a vise and torque wrench.

Talk to your gun builder or ask around from guys who build this stuff--don't trust us yahoos on the internet.

Thanks for all the tips. My gunsmith will make my barrels so that is nothing to worry about. It is just the action I need to import, or I have the Norwegian Hansen who also could make this.

I do not need quick change. Normal change will be sufficient.

Reactions: DocRDS

Found it:

Looks like it works really well. And maybe just go for the normal way of swapping barrels instead of that QC because of 338. Since it will not take that much longer time with the right tools. The gunsmith told me he could also make a place on the barrel in the front to put a tool to unscrew the barrels he will make for me if I want it to be fast.

Looks like it works really well. And maybe just go for the normal way of swapping barrels instead of that QC because of 338. Since it will not take that much longer time with the right tools. The gunsmith told me he could also make a place on the barrel in the front to put a tool to unscrew the barrels he will make for me if I want it to be fast.
wrench flats

I do not see any magazine trouble or trouble at all. And I am not going to be or at all want to be PRS champion. If that happens, I will by a dedicated rifle, but I do not think that will interest me that much and not to many doing at around here.