• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Mauser barrel?

264highlandhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Pocatello, ID
I'm working on a Mauser build and the time has come to order a barrel. I have used several shilen barrels in the past and want to try something different. I don't own a lathe and am pretty much limited to using short chambered/ pre threaded barrels and finishing the head spacing by hand. I have contacted several of the top barrel makers and they won't do a short chambered barrel for one reason or another. Can anyone steer me toward a high end maker that will do this for me?

Re: Custom Mauser barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Define high end? </div></div>Something better than shilen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pac-Nor. </div></div>I was on their website yesterday and thought they might be the ticket.

Having installed and shot them both quite a bit- they are really on par with each other, nothing more desireable about one over the other. Button rifled quality barrels. Stepping UP from there you're going to go to Bartlein, Krieger, Brux and the like. Shilen and Pac Nor are oranges and oranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having installed and shot them both quite a bit- they are really on par with each other, nothing more desireable about one over the other. Button rifled quality barrels. Stepping UP from there you're going to go to Bartlein, Krieger, Brux and the like. Shilen and Pac Nor are oranges and oranges. </div></div>You just had to upset my apple cart didnt you?
smile.gif
Well Pac-nor is going to short chamber my barrel in an oddball caliber that I really wanted so at least Im not settleing for a cartrige when I really wanted something else. Looks like I will have to wait to see if their oranges and oranges.

I agree with the Oranges to Oranges comment. I've used dozens of each. Both are far better than a Mauser can utilize. Customer service is outstanding from both. Very few shooters could demonstrate an advantage between one of these and a "better" barrel. Go for it! Chris will do you right!

I hope your applecart is stable friend- just pointing out some things. Pac-Nor is a fine barrel, as is Shilen. You won't be disatisfied and I'm sure all will be well. What oddbal caliber did you go with?
It's just when I think of 'premium' barrels' I immediatley think of the previously mentioned barrel manufacturers. I do however disagree based on experience about the Mauser comment. I think the barrels are better than most shooters can utilize, but the Mauser as an action is what you make of it- it's all in the details.

It will be a 256 Newton. I have two already and am set up to reload for it and wanted something in 6.5 long action that would give me more umph than the 6.5x55 that I was gonna settle for if I had to use a shilen. Ive talked to lilja and and a couple other makers and they won't do a short chamber to be finished by someone else. Didnt try bartlein or kreiger and maybe I should have but I had the feeling from the ones I did call that it warsn't desirable for them to do that. And I agree with you on the Mauser action thing. They can be quite accurate if done correctly, I have a few that shoot very well. I don't dislike shilen either, just thought I'd give someone else a try.

Beef Supreme - thanks for your comment on Mausers. I guess I could have mentioned that the Mauser has been my hands-down favorite hunting action since I started working on them at the Colorado School of Trades in 1977. I have put together many really good guns on them over the years. BUT....it takes a deep understanding of this system to consistantely turn them out. Few home gunsmiths will be able to accomplish all the necessary steps to properly build a military 98 correctly. And very few Mausers will be the kind of precision guns that Sniper Hide members usually set their sights on. I was making the point that the Shilen and PAC Nor are more than enough barrel for this project. Love the '98, but it has its limitations.

That's why I said 'it's all in the details' and for the most part I agree with you, especially in regards to the home builders screwing on pre threads. It leaves out a lot of room for 'details.'
While there are certain limitations to the Mauser's ability, it lies mostly I feel in a lack of addtional precision available components, and were Paul and Wilhelm doing performing their Magic today, I believe we'd all be working with their products today.
They certainly aren't Surgeons or Stillers, but then they weren't ever meant to be. They wer emade to fire to the last round and then stab or club beyond that. It is the flip side of the coin on my above comment, Apples to Oranges, however I like apple juice as well as OJ, so-
I was at CST in 2000- you're dating yourself
smile.gif