• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Molded In Ear Hearing Protection?

shields shtr

American.
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations? I have seen the models from Westone and SportEar, wondering what else is out there? I shoot suppressed and still wear the Etymotic Research plugs, which work good. What sucks about them is if I am shooting with someone who has a brake in close proximity, I like to put muffs over and double up. The etymotics aren't very good for that. I'm willing to spend some money on them, you only get one set of ears and my hearing isn't exactly the greatest as it is.

Thanks for any information.

One more thing... Are you inserting them to rest fully inside your ear? Not like someone with a Bluetooth device hanging out partially. While I've never trying to double up with a pair of muffs, I don't see how they would interfere when properly inserted.

IMG_20181220_175320.jpg

The Comply foam tips make all the difference in the world. I have some Surefire EP7’s that come with the Comply and I have no issues even with brakes. The mistake I often see are ear plugs that are not fully inserted into the ear canal. Might as well not wear any..

Thanks for all the info. The etymotics are inserted fully into my ear canals. Apparently I have small ear holes. I think I am probably going to pony up for the Westones or ESP and call er good.

Yesterday I had to use some wax from a cheese wheel. I’m sure you’ll be fine with any of the above!

Go to a local hearing center. They generally have the ability to make a custom mold of your ear and get plugs made.

I had mine made last spring and it was a great investment. Much more comfortable than any of the standard plugs you buy off the shelf.

Go to a local hearing center. They generally have the ability to make a custom mold of your ear and get plugs made.

I had mine made last spring and it was a great investment. Much more comfortable than any of the standard plugs you buy off the shelf.

I agree 100% I went and got some made and it makes all the difference in the world you can wear them all day and just forget they are in there best 100.00 I ever spent.

I agree 100% I went and got some made and it makes all the difference in the world you can wear them all day and just forget they are in there best 100.00 I ever spent.
Sounds like they may be cheaper than some of the gun specific ones?

best 100.00 I ever spent.

Those must be for the non electronic? The electronic ones I am looking at start at 1800 and end at about 2500.

ESP and Westone Defendear are the two that seem to be tailored towards shooters and hunters.

Those must be for the non electronic? The electronic ones I am looking at start at 1800 and end at about 2500.

ESP and Westone Defendear are the two that seem to be tailored towards shooters and hunters.
I was about to suggest Decibelz molded ear plus...but those are two are two digits cheaper. Lol. Not talking about the same type of molded plugs.

I have used a few different providers from the EAR Inc group. They use custom molded medical grade silicone and create a perfect mold of your ear canal onsite. Within 30 minutes you have a custom set of earplugs.

This is by far the most comfortable and protective solution I have ever used. If memory serves, Muffs are rated at 19db reduction and foamies are at like 23db. These plugs are rated at 36db reduction.

This link will send a request to EAR for your nearest provider:

https://earplugsforyou.com/looking-for-a-provider/

If you live near a city where the Progressive International Motorcycle Show will be coming to, there will more than likely be a booth where you can have custom molded ear plugs for your ears made on the spot in about 20 minutes, as I recall. I use them for riding and double up with them at loud indoor ranges. The best $40.00 in protection I ever spent. Other shows might have this service as well. Good luck.

You are correct they are not electronic but are medical grade silicone and will last 10 years, you need to get new ones as you ear changes as you age