• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Reloader needed!

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
I am looking for someone that is well known on the forum that is making custom loads for SH members. I know about Applied and some of the great HSM loads but they don't have exactly what I want and i need a go to guy! Can you all help me?

In need of high grain high speed 300wm loads over 210gr. I also need some 338 Norma rounds made.. Anyone want some business?

Thanks

Chris

Re: Custom Reloader needed!

Without having the gun to see what loads it likes wouldn't it be kinda hard to do this for you unless these are just to take to the range and make lots of noise and lob bullets at a target? Never had to use someone to reload rounds for me but there is more to it than wanting to buy the fastest biggest baddest round for a gun.

Topstrap

I get that topstrap and I heed your point for sure but i feel like a rifle with such nice parts would be able to have a pretty nice baseline as to handling large gr size and heavy powder loads. Dont you think that starting trying to get a 208, 210, or 220 and maybe even a 230 pushed as fast as you can is nothing but a plus when it comes to long term accuracy and less of an environmental impact on the projectile moving down range? The way I understand physics and the way I have approached this weapon is give the projective the best basis for safety, durability, and accuracy then find out how fast I can move the bullet to maximize the caliber. I feel shooting a 180 or even a 190 is like putting a governor on a 300wm dragster.

Any advice, since I am not reloading as of yet by myself, on finding and testing and how to quantify success of these heavy grain 300wm rounds would be much accepted.

Thanks!

Yes, the heavy, high BC bullets in a 300 Win Mag make it shine. I shoot mine to 1780 yards with the 225 grain bthp at 2802 fps. It's running really good!

What I can do, is send you some test loads to try. 5 groups of 5 rounds each (25 rounds) with the bullet or bullets of your choice. This way you can see what shoots best in your gun with you shooting it. Once you find a load you like, that's the recipe I will load for your ammo. I don't offer the test loads for all calibers. Just the one's I know very well and have proven data on, like the 300 WM.

If you want to optimize the accuracy and speed, you can always send me the rifle for a custom load work up. That's what I specialize in. The 225's should run anywhere from 2700 to 2800 fps. This way I can seat the bullet to your chamber to help optimize accuracy. Thanks!

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcweidman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get that topstrap and I heed your point for sure but i feel like a rifle with such nice parts would be able to have a pretty nice baseline as to handling large gr size and heavy powder loads. Dont you think that starting trying to get a 208, 210, or 220 and maybe even a 230 pushed as fast as you can is nothing but a plus when it comes to long term accuracy and less of an environmental impact on the projectile moving down range? The way I understand physics and the way I have approached this weapon is give the projective the best basis for safety, durability, and accuracy then find out how fast I can move the bullet to maximize the caliber. I feel shooting a 180 or even a 190 is like putting a governor on a 300wm dragster.

Any advice, since I am not reloading as of yet by myself, on finding and testing and how to quantify success of these heavy grain 300wm rounds would be much accepted.

Thanks! </div></div>

You would be much better off to begin reloading now, rather than paying someone a ridiculous amount of money to do it for you. You sound pretty intelligent in your posts. Don't you understand the advantages of reloading your own ammo?

Thank you for the compliment. Yes I have a background in science in bio-chemistry and experimental medicine and work in the Healthcare industry. Yes I want to start reloading and expand my ridiculous passion to the next obscene level! haha

I am really just starting to get into the idea of it. I need someone to tell me the best platform to buy. I was considering calling Larry Potterfield himself and having him set me up!
smile.gif

I dont know where to start. I get the dyes, powder, press, all that jazz but still dont have a grasp.

Anyone know anyone I should call?

I would poke around and see if you can find someone relatively local that reloads that doesnt mind you peeking over their shoulder to learn the basics that plus a good reloading manual should get you started off in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You would be much better off to begin reloading now, rather than paying someone a ridiculous amount of money to do it for you. You sound pretty intelligent in your posts. Don't you understand the advantages of reloading your own ammo? </div></div>

It only seems expensive until all the costs including time, of doing it yourself are added up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcweidman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the compliment. Yes I have a background in science in bio-chemistry and experimental medicine and work in the Healthcare industry. Yes I want to start reloading and expand my ridiculous passion to the next obscene level! haha

I am really just starting to get into the idea of it. I need someone to tell me the best platform to buy. I was considering calling Larry Potterfield himself and having him set me up!
smile.gif

I dont know where to start. I get the dyes, powder, press, all that jazz but still dont have a grasp.

Anyone know anyone I should call? </div></div>

If your time can generate a decent income, having someone reload( or at least prep brass) for you is an excellent option

while many parts of reloading are enjoyable, prepping brass + some others kind of suck

spending more time shooting is almost always the more attractive alternative

Hey PC.

The Best way to quantify results is to shoot your test groups on a calm day and see which are the most consistant (smallest group, not closest to the bullseye)

For learning how see if there is an NRA reloading class in your area.

Im in NY so we're a bit far, but I hold the NRA reloading class a few times a year.

Its hard to find as most instructors dont like to make the investment of gear to teach, but if you ever want to make the trip check it out on my site at renaissancefirearmsinstruction.com

RELOAD. It is an AWSOME feeling when you hear that faint "pop" at 1k when a bullet that you developed the load for and tweaked from scratch hits. Also it is therapeutic in a sense. I throw on some Jerry Jeff Walker tunes and go to work. I only sort when I'm shooting in matches but mic every other seated bullet. Get into it by reading reading reading. Follow guides to the T. You'll get the most potential capable out of your rifle by reloading.

To start with, I'd have someone load for me, with the agreement he will give you the load specifics.

Then maybe buy your gear and components to reload.
Nothing about reloading is cheap, I'd think this .338 Lapua is going to cost more to get into than most cases.
And your chance to bite into a shit sandwich is greater than a smaller cartridge. I would recommend starting with a smaller cartridge and work into this.

I am not implying you're not capable of it, if you're comfy with it, go for it.
Mistakes made loading ammo, sometimes 'Hurt".