• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Good afternoon guys. I’ve posted in a few other areas of the forum about an idea for my first precision rifle. I’m wanting to do a custom build. I’m to the point that I know what I want and my overall vision for the rifle.

!!!EDITED FOR CHANGES!!!
Stock: McMillan M40A1 HTG molded in Forest Camo. Please cut the stock to 12.5in LOP and adapt spacers for adjustment if needed.
Action: Remington 700 SA, Remington 700 SA Clone (i.e. Bighorn Origin, Stiller Tac-30, or Bighorn TL3). (Please Cerakote in "Armor Black").
Hand: LEFT
Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor.
Trigger: TriggerTech Remington 700 Special Trigger Curved set at 2.5lbs pull
Barrel: USMC Spec 24inch M40 contour with USMC Recessed Target Crown. (Please Cerakote the barrel in "Armor Black").
Bottom Metal: Winchester Model 70, Remington 700 BDL, or Hawkins Precision 700 SA BDL (Please Cerakote in "Armor Black").
Mount: Picatinny Rail if necessary (Please Cerakote in "Armor Black").
Rings: Badger Ordnance 34mm USMC stamped rings (Please Cerakote in "Armor Black").
Optics: Bushnell ET 3.5-21x50 with G4P Reticle (Please Cerakote in "Armor Black").
Sling Mount: Swivel sling studs.
Sling: Magpul MS1 (Coyote Brown)
Sling Hardware: Magpul Locking Swing Swivel
Bipod: Harris Bipod (if available)
Case: Hard shell and if possible custom recessed laser foam cut padding.
Use: Range, Training Classes, small chance of hunting.

I’ve reached out to a number of gunsmiths/custom builders. I’ve received declines from TacOps and TS Customs. A gentleman from RIP precision has gotten back to me but nothing confirmed yet.

Do any of you have a suggestion on a gunsmith willing to take this job?

My entire budget for the build is a max of $6,500.00 time frame wise I don’t mind waiting 6-10 months for the build to be finished. I understand that craftsmanship takes time.

I’ve also included photos as reference for my color scheme and overall vision.

Attachments

• M40A1 Clone Pic 1.jpeg
    M40A1 Clone Pic 1.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
  • M40A1 Clone Pic 2.png
    M40A1 Clone Pic 2.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 57
  • M40A1 Clone Pic 3.jpeg
    M40A1 Clone Pic 3.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 73
  • M40A1 Clone Pic 4.jpeg
    M40A1 Clone Pic 4.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 66
  • M40A1 Clone Pic 5.jpeg
    M40A1 Clone Pic 5.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 82
  • M40A1 Clone Pic 6.jpeg
    M40A1 Clone Pic 6.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest with the budget like that I'd just do a spec M40a1 build just left handed ($4000-$4500ish) than save up a bit more for the USO MST-100. This is actually what I did. the Unertls and USOs come up for sale here.

Well I went with Mike Lau and Texas Brigade Armory. I like talking with Mike on the phone but he hasn't finished my build yet. keep in mind I ordered this time in 2021. and well covid lockdowns and supply chain issues Mcmillan took a year just to get the stock to TBA. hopefully since its 2023 Mcmillan will have more supplies and a faster turn around time. I did research before contacting TBA and the only complaint people have is the lead time. However, I am patient and he is truely great to talk with on the phone (lol, maybe I'm the reason the lead time is long)

If you haven't ordered the htg stock from mcmillan just tell the gunsmith you do go with that you want the desert camo (as discussed in the other thread) I also recommend cerakoting the Barreled Action tan or FDE to complete the look you are going for. (not spec but will look pretty good if you do not wish to spray paint the rifle.)

anyways here is TBA's website. https://texasbrigadearmory.com/

Hope this helps and Best of Luck!

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
Oh, on another note. scope mounts! this might be an issue. I wanted a LH one-piece redfield/unertl style mount. this had to be custom made by Mike at TBA.
If you are looking for a one-piece mount for Rem 700 Short action left hand, it can be extremely difficult. easy street would be a picatinny rail or 2-piece scope mount. do you plan on having the action clip slotted?

Hope this helps.

GAP is your best bet. Not your specs but will do the job.

Are you going to source all the parts or need someone to get all that together? A left hand stock could be awhile depending on the make.

Are you going to source all the parts or need someone to get all that together? A left hand stock could be awhile depending on the make.
Unfortunately I haven’t bought any parts yet. But I don’t mind waiting for all of it to arrive and get assembled either.

1. There is NOTHING M40 about your proposed build.
2. That color scheme is nothing more than Krylon paint done in theater

It is a good build, and if that's what you want, it's what you want. Go for it, just be aware, all wait times are going to be long. you are obviously going more for an "inspired build" than a clone, so that frees up things like the source for your barrel and the scope base you can use.
Right now, one of your challenges will be to source a left hand action, let alone a stock and barrel.

you COULD order a barreled action from PVA, with a left hand bighorn and put the rest together yourself.

There are other companies that offer similar services.

As per the email I sent a little bit ago, I have LH M40 actions in stock. These have OEM factory clip slots. (although they are a little different from how I do them so they do require a little work to fit our base.

happy to help.

C.

Reactions: moosemeat
1. There is NOTHING M40 about your proposed build.
2. That color scheme is nothing more than Krylon paint done in theater

It is a good build, and if that's what you want, it's what you want. Go for it, just be aware, all wait times are going to be long. you are obviously going more for an "inspired build" than a clone, so that frees up things like the source for your barrel and the scope base you can use.
Right now, one of your challenges will be to source a left hand action, let alone a stock and barrel.

you COULD order a barreled action from PVA, with a left hand bighorn and put the rest together yourself.

There are other companies that offer similar services.
Is Krylon paint safe to use on a firearm or is it just Hollywood's usual flair? Would it be safer to go with a Cerakote or Duracote?

Is Krylon paint safe to use on a firearm or is it just Hollywood's usual flair? Would it be safer to go with a Cerakote or Duracote?

Truth be told, you can get out a roller and slather on the house paint if you want. The question comes down to the quality of work that you expect. if a pseudo-M40 clone is your thing, then blaze away with a rattle can, and you'll be ready when the savages invade your fair town.

Cerakote has its limits but applied right; it weathers surprisingly well. Duracote is little more than watered-down tractor paint.

FWIW: Our builds are handled almost entirely in-house. The only work subbed out is checkering on wood, traditional engraving, and color case hardening. Everything else gets done here, including the inletting of the stock. I buy blanks from the OEMS and do the work myself. Machine work is performed on state-of-the-art, multi-axis cnc equipment.

Attachments

• 20190822_093413.jpg
    20190822_093413.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190821_133155.jpg
    20190821_133155.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190821_133149.jpg
    20190821_133149.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190827_165333.jpg
    20190827_165333.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190910_124644.jpg
    20190910_124644.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
You would want your rifle to be coated with cerakote, durakote, gunkote or the like. You can rattle can with krylon over that. The advantage of the krylon job is that you can remove it, change it or update whenever you want.
If you build on a bighorn action, it will be coated already, you just need to have the barrel coated.

Reactions: moosemeat
We have been Kryloning rifles for a long time. Rifles painted with spray paint have been in super hot conditions and been ok. I have personally had barrels to hot to handle and had no problems. All paint will offgas over time. The risk that poses in minimal.

Truth be told, you can get out a roller and slather on the house paint if you want. The question comes down to the quality of work that you expect. if a pseudo-M40 clone is your thing, then blaze away with a rattle can, and you'll be ready when the savages invade your fair town.

Cerakote has its limits but applied right; it weathers surprisingly well. Duracote is little more than watered-down tractor paint.

FWIW: Our builds are handled almost entirely in-house. The only work subbed out is checkering on wood, traditional engraving, and color case hardening. Everything else gets done here, including the inletting of the stock. I buy blanks from the OEMS and do the work myself. Machine work is performed on state-of-the-art, multi-axis cnc equipment.
That right there looks beautiful. I'd rather do the cerakote and pay the extra for the craftsmanship.

Sent y'all an email. That rifle looks stunning.