• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut and Thread a 17HMR

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
I got a TBAC 22L-1 suppressor ordered for my rimfire's and was wondering how short you can cut back a Savage 93R 17HMR without losing too much? its not going to be used for a trainer, i have a MKII for that. It's just for a fun varmint hunting/plinking gun. but i still want to be able to reach out a little bit. My MKII only has a only like 16" threaded barrel, but can i go that short with a 17.
Thanks
Brett

I agree with ^^^

I recall reading that 17 HMR barrels are all similarly sized because the optimum barrel length was determined right after the case was developed. I'd maybe have the crown done and just have the barrel threaded without being chopped.

You can go 16 but you might get more velocity spread from less burn time.
I cut my savage to 18 and it's been more accurate than the stock length. I think it was Chuck Hawks website where he did a test with the hmr and a 24" barrel
shoot,record cut 1" crown repeat all the way down to 12" iirc. Ill try to dig it up for you. I would love to run a can but not in Ca.

I saw and heard a sbr'd and suppressed .17HMR.

Two words....

Not Impressed

The sound of $400 wasted in gov. tax stamps was amazing.......amazingly loud.

And knowing the rifle has less muzzle velocity (and therefore performance) made the rifle from my perspective, worthless.

Its a magnum...the idea is speed.

I was hoping to one day have a can for my 17 to muffle that initial CRACK! of the round being fired. Sure it's super-sonic and you'll still get that snap but shouldn't a can rated for the 17HMR have a noticeable decibel reduction?

16" is the furthest you can cut it back without special papers.

i'd have to concur with DF above.

if still wanting to put a can on it, keep it full length to utilize the magnum full powder burn aspect. other wise you may turn it into a mach2 or some sort of .17 "LR" velocity hybrid as far as velocity goes.

sort of like getting a can for a .22lr, then running velociters through it.

Thanks for the input.
I ended up leaving it the same length and just threading it as is. I was hoping to get it a little shorter cause the 20" barrel with a 6" TBAC on the end will make it a little long and cumbersome, but I totally agree with the above posts of losing the purpose of having the HMR.