• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut down a HS Precision recoil pad?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
I’ve seen a bunch of threads on removing or installing recoil pads. But what about cutting an existing attached one down?

I have a 5r Remington .223 with the HS Precision stock (green spatter). It has a 1” recoil pad, which works out to about 14” LOP. Way too long for me, especially in winter with bulky clothes.

I don’t have a belt grinder, well, at least not easily accessible. Can I cut that bastard down with a utility knife to 1/4” and just use sandpaper to soften the edges so it doesn’t look too ghetto?

It isn’t like I need a recoil pad for 223.

you could do a lot of things if you want to do it you pretty much can it's yours . best of luck keeping it looking nice . there may be better ways to do it but as not a gun smith I don't know any .

It would be difficult to cut it down straight with a knife. The best option would be to take it down with a belt or disk sander. A 1/4" may expose the screws, if there are any. They are glued on and screwed down I think. The easiest way may be to cut the whole pad off down to the plastic base plate and epoxy on a thinner pad. There would still need to be some trimming done to make it look decent.

Reactions: carbonbased
It would be difficult to cut it down straight with a knife. The best option would be to take it down with a belt or disk sander. A 1/4" may expose the screws, if there are any. They are glued on and screwed down I think. The easiest way may be to cut the whole pad off down to the plastic base plate and epoxy on a thinner pad. There would still need to be some trimming done to make it look decent.
Yeah, I’m thinking of attempting running a razor over and over the same line, slowly cutting it. If I hit screws, then it’s off to the gunsmith haha! I think I read that HS just glues their pads on. Oh yeah, here’s the post: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hs-precision-recoil-pad.7106483/

Not exactly the same stock, however. You know, I’ll call HS first.

If I mess it up, all I’ve lost is time and the cost of a recoil pad, I guess. It’s hard to find a decent gunsmith that isn’t backed up by weeks and weeks.

I called HS, and they said there’s no screws in my recoil pad. I just might try it.

Otherwise they charge $130 to cut the stock down 1/4”, and each 1/4” thereafter is $20 more. They glue the recoil pad back on. Not sure if it’s a new pad…but I’ll bet it is.

Takes about two weeks. Another option.

I would run a piece of high pound braided fishing line between the pad and the plastic it is attached to, separating the two pieces.

Think of it like running a cable saw.

You can then put the flat side of the pad on a belt/disc sander and maintain flatness.

Glue it back on after you’ve removed what you like and you’re back in business, maintaining the factory round edges.

This would take you down 1/2".
1/2" Recoil Pad

00450_dec500b_blk_main.jpg