• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cut mosin barrel vs full length.

Thresher96

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2014
I prevously built a mosin sporting build with a cut barrel. I was really impressed with it and its accuracy. Now I hace almost completed a sportized build this time I used full length an military stock and I'm going to mount a scope. Can anyone tell me if I can expext the same accuracy. Assuming the bores are in the same condition.

What "T" (0933) said in your previous thread.
Every rifle is different. I pillar and receiver bedded one in a military stock once, and free-floated the barrel (sanding top/bottom handguards and had to grind the nosecap) and it shot very well.
You may need to "cork"/add a pressure point. In any case, the light contour barrel will start stringing shots if you let it get hot.

Well looks like there is an advantage to both. I am going to keep the longer barrel i already have one with a shortened barrel and it worked well i will just see how this one works.

Chop it to 16" and post action pics in fading light. :D

Probably not, mainly because there are so many other factors besides bore condition.

Counterbore? How deep? Is the interior face of the counterbore crisp and clean?

Counterboring effectively changes bore length, thereby changing accuracy load requirements. Decades of storage, partially corrected cleaning rod wear and decrepitude can mess with the face of the counterbore, which is effectively the barrel's crown.

That's just for starters.

Even the 148gr surplus loads are optimized for a full length bore. They shoot rather well in one for surplus.

I don't discredit counterbored barrels, but I think they do change the game somewhat.

No matter whether or not you chop the barrel, load development is probably the best way you'll be able to attain the barrel's true accuracy potential. Do it and you may surprise yourself.

Greg

Last edited: