• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut my 24" .308 Barrel for Suppressor?

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I have an AAC SDN6 that I plan to send to Ecco Machine to have the 51t mount replaced with a better mount (TBD) for my 24" .308 Weatherby Vanguard S2 with 1 in 10" twist.

I'll need to have the Weatherby threaded, which got me thinking... Should I cut the barrel at the same time?

The SDN6 weighs about 21oz without a mount and the Weatherby has a "#2 contour barrel". I only use it for target shooting out to 850 yards. I've never been hunting, but a friend of mine is buying 90 acres and I may use it to hunt deer at some point on his property.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_160447.jpg
    IMG_20200516_160447.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 220
What purpose are you cutting the barrel for? If you need the rifle shorter then yes cut it. You are going to have POI shift either way. Personally I like long heavy barrels but it’s a preference or intended use thing.

What purpose are you cutting the barrel for? If you need the rifle shorter then yes cut it. You are going to have POI shift either way. Personally I like long heavy barrels but it’s a preference or intended use thing.
I wasn't sure if hanging 21+ oz off the end of this light profile barrel would be detrimental to accuracy, and by cutting it shorter I would be making it stiffer/more accurate?

Or, if having the suppressor would increase velocity to the point that I could cut the barrel shorter and essentially have the same velocity as 24" unsuppressed?

I've also never had a rifle with a barrel/suppressor combo almost 32" long.

It hasn't been my experience that a suppressor hurts your accuracy. It will definitely give you a POI shift and with a lighter weight barrel even more so. As long as the offset is repeatable, it hasn't been an issue for me. I've actually had an impact shift UP with a lighter weight barrel instead of down.

As a general rule, shorter barrels are stiffer and often more accurate. This is based on barrel harmonics. As far as velocity gains, that isn't going to be the case. You may see a slight uptick in velocity but not enough to offset shortening your barrel.

Lots of guys run the 20-22 inch barrels because the velocity gains aren't much with factory ammo. If you are tailoring your own loads you can possibly take advantage of the extra length. Most guys don't see much velocity gain and opt for the handier barrel length, its really going to be your preference in the end.

Either way it shouldn't hurt your accuracy.

It hasn't been my experience that a suppressor hurts your accuracy. It will definitely give you a POI shift and with a lighter weight barrel even more so. As long as the offset is repeatable, it hasn't been an issue for me. I've actually had an impact shift UP with a lighter weight barrel instead of down.

As a general rule, shorter barrels are stiffer and often more accurate. This is based on barrel harmonics. As far as velocity gains, that isn't going to be the case. You may see a slight uptick in velocity but not enough to offset shortening your barrel.

Lots of guys run the 20-22 inch barrels because the velocity gains aren't much with factory ammo. If you are tailoring your own loads you can possibly take advantage of the extra length. Most guys don't see much velocity gain and opt for the handier barrel length, its really going to be your preference in the end.

Either way it shouldn't hurt your accuracy.
Thanks. I was thinking 20" after looking at some of the charts people have put together.

Reactions: Long Range 338