• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting 26" to 22"

poko2121

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2020
I have a Remington 700P with the 26" barrel 1:12 twist in .308. Currently able to shoot 1k yards with Federal 175 GMM. I am wanting to send the barrel in to be cut and threaded for adding a brake.

I would like to cut it down to 22" but want to know what thoughts are on if it will still stabilize the 175gr bullet and make 1,000 yard shots. I'm currently chrono'ing average 2600 fps so I assume at 22" I'll be around 2520 fps?

Also, does anyone know if the 700P barrel is stainless or not? Do I need to refinish the muzzle end after its been cut?

Thanks in advance!

For reference, I shoot 175s at 2500fps out of a 16.5”, which gets to 1000 yards without issue. So your load is probably quite mild.

ok that's good to know thank you. they're factory federal loads. would shortening the barrel affect being able to stabilize the 175gr bullet with a 1:12 twist?

IMG_0073.png

Using the 175 OTM as an example, the Berger Stability Calculator says you’re fine.

that's cool didn't know about that tool. so only velocity and twist affect stability? number of twists doesn't matter

Correct, though number of twists tends to correlate with velocity. Aside from gain twist barrels, the angular momentum will increase with velocity. So if your barrel was 10” instead, it would need a faster twist because it would be unlikely to get the bullet up to that 2500 fps velocity where the bullet is stable with a 1:12 twist rate.

I have a Remington 700P with the 26" barrel 1:12 twist in .308. Currently able to shoot 1k yards with Federal 175 GMM. I am wanting to send the barrel in to be cut and threaded for adding a brake.

I would like to cut it down to 22" but want to know what thoughts are on if it will still stabilize the 175gr bullet and make 1,000 yard shots. I'm currently chrono'ing average 2600 fps so I assume at 22" I'll be around 2520 fps?

Also, does anyone know if the 700P barrel is stainless or not? Do I need to refinish the muzzle end after its been cut?

Thanks in advance!
I cut my 5R Milspec 24” .308 11.25” twist down to 22” and threaded it for a can/KeyMo brake. Works just like it did before. Go for it. Velocity loss will be minimal. But I recommend going ahead and chipping chopping it down to 16”-20” if your going to be running suppressed. You wouldn’t think it makes that much difference, but it really does.

we don't have the luxury for suppressors here. just a brake. why do suppressors operate with shorter barrels? just because of the length of the suppressor itself?