• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cutting time off your mile run?

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Minuteman
  • Dec 23, 2004
    INDIANA
    Ok guys... I've been in stages for a position in one of the local agencies here and am headed into my PT test portion within the month.

3 months ago I could run 1 mile in about 18 minutes and then die.

Today I can run 4 miles in 55 minutes... about a 13.5 minute pace.

My question is what do you think the best way I should tackle the 1.5 mile run portion of the test? For some reason the best I have been able to do is an 18:30. The pass mark is 16:30. I want to be able to do it in 15:00

Thoughts?

TIA

Re: cutting time off your mile run?

well, i'm no running pro by any means but i did college track for 5 years, for me, it always helps to train with someone faster than you. The actual race or in your case, run test all just comes down to proper training and guts. It's like any other muscle memory. Train until you figure out how to do it, and your body will remember how it was done.

I have been using a droid app with my bluetooth headphones that gives me a pace tracker...bascially...every .1 miles (or whatever distance you want) it tells me how long it has taken me and what my projected pace is. Gives you split times if you want to set up a 1 mile run with 1/4 mile splits. etc etc. this helps a lot too if you dont have someone to run with. you get instant feedback telling you that it's time to pick it up a notch. It's like having a coach on the track yelling your pace as you run by.

oh and dont forget to watch the movie "Pre"
    A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.
    – Steve Prefontaine

Try one of these:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tabata Sprints:</span>

5 min warm-up

8 sets of a 20 sec all out sprint followed by a 10 sec light jog/walk.

5 min cool-down

It doesn't seem like much but this will smoke you if you sprint hard.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ladder Intervals:</span>

Using a relative scale of intensity from Levels 1-5 where Level 1 is a very light jog and Level 5 is an all-out sprint:

5 min warm-up @ Level 1(light jog)

1 min @ Level 2
    1 min @ Level 3
    1 min @ Level 4
    1 min @ Level 5

Repeat 2-3 times

5 min cool-down

Keep in mind that you may slow down overall as you get tired. They key is to go a little faster for each 'step' and keep the intensity up.

Don't do either of these workouts every day. Every other day is fine. On the in between days go for a 30 minute light run. Take 1 day off a week to rest. Good Luck

What's your height/weight/age? No disrespect, but 13.5 minute miles are a fast walking pace for a healthy adult. How often are you training, and what do training days look like? How many miles per day/week?

I suspect you have no choice but to ramp up whatever you're doing, but we need those details to be able to make specific recommendations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your height/weight/age? No disrespect, but 13.5 minute miles are a fast walking pace for a healthy adult. </div></div>
    i was just about to ask that, but i guess i was assuming this would be in some kind of gear, perhaps i assumed wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Tabata Sprints </div></div>

very similar to Fartleks

or what we called "Rabbit Drills" in football.

on a track with curves and strait aways, sprint 100, very light jog 100, sprint 100, very light jog 100. for 1/2 or 1 or 2 miles...whatever you can handle and keep going up.
    in the country, we would do the same thing between telephone poles, but can be done on city blocks as well.

Synthesize everything above. To get your times down, you will need to strengthen the mechanical aspect (legs, knees, ankles), improve stamina, and if possible, lighten the load. Sprinting and sprint training - in addition to your distance training - will help do this. Are you doing any resistance training also? Squats are great. Hill sprints will build stamina in a short period of time. Interval drills like fartleks and tabatas will so the same.

Still, if you can drop a few pounds - even 5 - that's five fewer pounds you have to carry while you are running.

Also very important - REST. Over-training will just slow you down.

Good luck.

No disrspect taken.

When started I was at 240lbs. I am currently at 219.

My height I hate to say will not change at 5'7"

And I hate to say as a pencil pusher for the last 10 years at a fortune 500 company I did NO excercise. If this puts my health into perspective...
    I started with teh company at age 18 @ 155lbs
    I left the company at age 31 245lbs
    I am now 32

My goal is to be 199 by year end and 180 by summer 2011, but that's another thread

currently I am running the tread mill 2-3 week for anywhere between 2-4miles each time. I recently started running outdoors for 2 miles at at time and took 4 days off cause it killed my calves and ankles. I'm running in brooks if that means anything.

As I read your follow-up posts, I would work in the Tabata sprints a couple of times a week. You can modify the intensity the first couple of times you do it and then ramp it up as your body adapts. I like the Tabatas because it breaks up the monotony of grinding out mile after mile and it will lengthen your stride, which you will eventually have to do in order to get faster. The best part is that the entire workout only takes 14 minutes! As I said, ease into it, but eventually you will have to go after the sprints in order to get the maximum benefit. Prepare to be smoked...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No disrspect taken.

And I hate to say as a pencil pusher for the last 10 years at a fortune 500 company I did NO excercise. If this puts my health into perspective...
    I am now 32

My goal is to be 199 by year end and 180 by summer 2011, but that's another thread </div></div>

Don't forget to tell us how you're training now...

Also, as for your shoes, go to a running shop to have your gait analyzed and get a proper shoe recommendation. It's worth the extra dough you will pay for the shoes. Running with the proper gear makes all the difference. Do not skimp.

Have a look at the Polar heart rate monitor range if you are not aware of them. It comes with CD software...just like a ballistic app...and you can set up training programs that combines both your heart rate and time/distance travelled. It will also give you calorie burn and other data. I hate running and found it a really good motivator and an enormous help getting me through the plateau i'd reached by plugging in the data i wanted to achieve and then its a question of reacting to the watch telling you to pick it up a bit...bitch in the box !

Get off of the treadmill and hit the road. The treadmill just isn't the same as outdoors.

The good thing is...most agencies have a pass or fail on the PT test. Most of the time they don't really grade you on what time you have...just if you finished under the limit.

with that said, To get faster you have to run and run more often. Gaining speed takes time and dedication. For me I hit the local high school track. Do a workout like: Run 400 meters (1 lap) as hard as you can or about 90% and jog the next lap...Do a set of 5 or 6 at first. Another workout that helps is run 800meters (2 laps) 80-90% effort and rest by jogging one lap...Do about the same sets I mentioned above 5 or 6...you can work up to about 8 sets.

You also need to run distance...so I would recommend running 5 miles at a slow pace a couple times a week. I think it's best to not train for the 1 1/2 mile run by running that distance, Run further. Maybe once a week hit 3 miles as hard as you can.

I am a firm believer in running local 5K races and trying to compete for your age group...look around and find someone you are racing against that looks somewhat like you and try your hardest to beat them. These races will build your confidence and make you faster.

Finally, Once you have trained for 5K's, 3 miles, hard 800 meters, hard 400 meter runs...you will know that a 1 1/2 mile run is no sweat and go out and kill it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys... I've been in stages for a position in one of the local agencies here and am headed into my PT test portion within the month.

3 months ago I could run 1 mile in about 18 minutes and then die.

Today I can run 4 miles in 55 minutes... about a 13.5 minute pace.

My question is what do you think the best way I should tackle the 1.5 mile run portion of the test? For some reason the best I have been able to do is an 18:30. The pass mark is 16:30. I want to be able to do it in 15:00

Thoughts?

TIA </div></div>

Just keep at it and times will only improve. Lots of good advice so far, but bottom line is that doing almost anything is way better than doing nothing. Don't push yourself so hard that you hurt yourself, but I firmly believe that if you don't feel any discomfort while you are running you are not pushing hard enough. Not pain, but you should be tired and out of breath and at least a little sore when you get done. Keep pushing yourself and 1.5 miles in 16:30 will not be a problem. Rest is important, but don't overdo that, either. Your body can get used to what you are doing.

I started running(if you could call it that) 2.5 years ago when my ex-wife left me. I was 215# but lost about 25 really quick on the divorce diet and decided I didn't want to be that heavy again. My dad gave me a tread mill that he hadn't used in years and I started using that in my basement - early February in MN, so running outside is not really an attractive option. Started out alternating jogging as long as I could then walking for 2 miles and it'd take about 30 minutes. Did that until it started feeling easier then go longer and run faster.

I now do 5 miles a day, 5 days a week, and it takes 40 minutes. Time constraints keep me from doing much more than that on any regular basis. As it is, between, stretching, running, cool down and shower, it's about 1.5 hours out of my night, but I'm at the point where I feel guilty if I skip a run. My heart and lungs have never been stronger. Resting heart rate is in the mid-50's. After a 5 mile run I am not even breathing heavy 3 minutes later and my heart rate goes right back to normal. Been holding steady at 170-175# since early 2008. Have never had any running related problems or injuries, except for a minor knee ache last summer after taking 2 weeks off from running to go to Camp Perry. Chiropractor straightened it out in 2 10-minute visits. I run Sunday through Thursday every week and take Friday and Saturday off. I feel fine all week, but I am ready for the 2-day rest when I start the Thursday run. By Sunday evening I'm ready to go again and everything feels good.

Running outside is definitely way better, but the treadmill works just fine for rainy days and the 6 months of winter we get here. The muscles used are a bit different, but if you keep the incline changing you can still get a good workout. Usually have about 2 days of sore legs after switching from extended periods on the mill back to outdoor running. My treadmill will do a decline also, so that keeps it a little more challenging.

Just keep at it and you will get the results you are looking for.

Take care,
    Erik

Remember your diet will have a huge affect on your ability to reach your goals, you cannot outrun a bad diet. You should be able to loose about 8-10lb a month on a healthy rate without any detriment to your training. Loosing weight will take the wear and tear off of your joints and minimize the possibility of training damage. It will not do you any good to know if you can do it if on game day your shin splints leaving you limping before you even start.

And Im not just flapping my lips, I was about 235lbs after injuries left me fat and sloppy. I burned off the first 30 in about 3 months and the last 10 have taken about 6 months but Im not in a big rush to get any leaner anymore, maybe another 5lb at most.

In the long term, your two biggest levers are a) lost weight, and b) run more. I see a lot of suggestions for sprint drills etc, but the fact is that 1.5 miles is primarily an aerobic distance. People confuse "speed" with running fast. You can have great speed (ie a fast 50 or 100 yd time) but crappy endurance and so you will not do well over 1.5 miles. Conversely you can be like me, have crappy sprint times but great endurance, and do very well over mid to long distances.

Working on sprints will help you marginally, but it will help quickly. In the long term, only running more and getting lighter will improve your time.

With a month to go, I would focus on running as much as you can do without over-extending yourself. Once a week, get to a track or roughly measured area and do 400m (quarter mile) intervals with about 2 minutes VERY slow jog rest in between. You should run at an effort where they can all be the same time or slightly faster than prior ones. If you have to slow down in the later ones you are starting too fast! Do 6-8 of them depending on your stamina. Do this only once a week.

I ran a 2:45 marathon this morning so take that what it's worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No disrspect taken.

I am now 32

My goal is to be 199 by year end and 180 by summer 2011, but that's another thread </div></div>

As someone who weighs far more at times, you just weigh too much to be thinking about mile times short of lightening the load. The movie Pre.. yeah, it's great and the dude was a bona fide stud. Throw a 90lb backpack on Pre and he is struggling alongside you. I've been a heavy meal away from 300, and I've been my most explosively powerful at 164 in open-weight competition in strength events ranking top 50, and as high as 5th, or so nationally. I can't imagine attempting running for any distance @ over 220, but at your height that's more like 190, assuming you're a midget athletic beast. Seriously, don't sweat the time until you shed the pounds. All you have to gain is an overuse injury. There's no glory in being sidelined.

The good news is you can get to <8% bodydat with nothing more intense than walking, so there'so point in shaming yourself for not running (especially when your running is actually a walking pace).

Once your weight is "normal", you should really feel bad not being able to roll out of bad on a hangover and not come in @ 8 min. 40 lbs outside of normal, all bets are off. Just keep on losing the excess baggage. You'll be pleasantly amazed by your times along the way even if you never run outside of tesing.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Proper shoes after foot and gait analysis. You will need atleast two pairs of good shoes and orthotics if you use them.
    2. Train with a Polar Heart rate monitor will optimize your training time.
    3. Consult with a dietican to develop a balanced nutritional scheme.
    4. Incorporate cross training to raise your metabolic rate while providing rest to the joints and muscles groups impacted by running. Swimming and cycling help.
    5. Train 2x per day, run and cross train. Rest atleast 1x per week.
    6. Develop a training schedule for each day so you have established work out goals.
    7. Change your outlook on exercise to place its importance on the same level as eating. You wouldn't go a couple of days without eating would you?

Once you get into it, you'll enjoy the progress, feel and look good to boot!

Good luck!

The only way to get faster is to increase your leg and foot speed. This is accomplished by track or speed work. Running daily at a constant foot speed does not increase your speed. Muscles have memory. Of course as you get stronger you get somewhat faster but track work will increase foot speed immediately.

Go to a local track, warm up, run at your normal pace for a lap and time what ever distance you plan to sprint; 25, 50, 75, 100 yards, what ever you can as long as you increase your foot speed over your normal pace. Do not run sprints at your normal pace, its hard to change. Time each sprint and with every rep try to get faster even if its minuscule. It only takes a few to increase foot speed, the body is quick to learn. Walk after each sprint. Next day or take a day off, go out and do your normal run and you will see instant results. Doing track work the day or two before you test will get faster pace memory into muscles for your testing.

Run for time; out and backs, 10 mins one way, turn around and run the same route back logging time. You will see your back time faster. Now work your out time to meet your back time and your speed over the 1.5 miles will get faster. With a day or two of track work you should break you goal quite easily.

OD over distance training comes next and will get your body and mind into longer distances. If your test is 1.5 miles, run 2 miles or even 2.5 so your muscles learn 2 miles...run this as out backs.

When I was racing, I did track quarters track work and SLOD slow long over distance once a week alternating weeks.

Use a runners log.

Have fun is very important too

Good luck and let us know how you did

Are you quitting your glamorous desk job for an agency ? what's the story if you don't mind me asking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you quitting your glamorous desk job for an agency ? what's the story if you don't mind me asking </div></div>

TJ:

My thread must have gotten deleted about what happened when some house cleaning on the hide was done. To make a long story short, after 14 years of comfortable desk work for a Fortune 500 company my job function was 'disolved' in order to tighten purse strings. the truth is a new manager took over my department and although I did my job more effectively than others that were kept he knew I would never allow him to controll me as teh other puppets so he used this oppertunity to get rid of me as no one would questions his motives other than I carried a large salery.
    how am I sure of this??? Well, within teh last 3 weeks i found out that he was terminated for questionable activity and there may be a review of all the things he did over the last several years. Karma is a Mother!

Thank you to all for your input. I will try to encompass as much into what I do as possible. One thng that my journey has allowed me to learn is to never again let anyting pigeon hole me into a position were I find myself with limited options. MY carelessness with my health has made my journey all the more difficult but as with anything, if you put your mind and heart to it anythig is obtainable.

To kind of give you a base line of the last week this is where I am at:

On 10/10/10 (last sunday) was the last time i ran. I did two sessions taht day.

The 1st was on a treadmill.
    2 miles @ 27min 19 sec in the AM

The 2nd was on the road:
    2 miles @ 27min 53sec

The road run is where I believe I injured myself as up untill that point I had never ran any distance on teh road.

My ankles hurt and calves and shins killed me.

When I hit the scale that morning I was at 226lbs.

I did not hit the gym for weight training or aerobics all week. i took a break. I deserved it. Now with taht said i still continued to watch what I ate and continued my LIFESTYLE change as I have been for the last 3 months when i got serious about changing myself.

On Friday when I originaly osted I was happily surprised to see that I had lost more weight. that's were the 219 scale reading came in.

Friday, saturday and Sunday all went with no workout. Today I commited to working out 6 days thsi week.

I came in at 219 on the scale and just got off the tread mill as the weather out side was crap.

2 miles @ 26minutes and 42 sec. I plan to run again tonight and wil post up along with all teh other work outs I do this week. as a matter of fact will be posting a thread specificaly to monitoring my progress, WITH PICS!!! now that's scary!!

One post I want to comment on though is this one:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, don't sweat the time until you shed the pounds. All you have to gain is an overuse injury. There's no glory in being sidelined.

The good news is you can get to <8% bodydat with nothing more intense than walking, so there'so point in shaming yourself for not running (especially when your running is actually a walking pace).

Once your weight is "normal", you should really feel bad not being able to roll out of bad on a hangover and not come in @ 8 min. 40 lbs outside of normal, all bets are off. Just keep on losing the excess baggage. You'll be pleasantly amazed by your times along the way even if you never run outside of tesing. </div></div>

I in no way am taking your comments as an insult and truely feel yuo are trying to give sound advice but completely disagree with thsi specific comment:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, don't sweat the time until you shed the pounds. </div></div>

To me this is the equivalent of telling a new shooter, Don't waste your time shooting past 100 yards till you get a better rifle.

while god knows I am no health guru I know that pushing myself in my current form has helped me attain teh measurable weight loss and performance gains I have. By sweating everything I think I have have gained a true mesure of what I can, cant and will be capable of. at the end of the day I'm my own biggest cheerleader, the day my pom poms give up on myself is teh day I use the last round in the chamber on myself.

I'm hungry.... time for some white castle!!!!!!!! LOL

Glad to hear you are bouncing back and moving on. Before you do, if what you say is true about the boss i would suggest getting a lawyer to ensure you have exercised all your rights. If he did something wrong, i'm sure the company is liable and i know from experience how quick some of these co's are to settle.

Good for you on the training. Sounds like you've done the hardest thing already, deciding you want to make that change and doing something about it. Vary it up a bit with some swimming and bike work just to keep it enjoyable. Well done.

This is what I am doing now and it works real well

Take a 1/4 mile basic track.

Divide it into 4 equal parts,
    turn 1
    straight away 1
    turn 2
    straight away 2

Walk one, sprint one section, walk one, sprint two sections, walk one, sprint three sections, walk one, sprint a full lap

Then repeat backwards three, two one

This will improve your run time like crazy

If you do not have a 1/4 mile track around a foot ball field. do the same thing between telephone polls down a road.

John

I have to agree with everybody who said increase your speed, even if you can only do it for a short distance in the beginning. Since you have access to a treadmill, get up to a speed on it and try to find a fast gait you are comfortable with. Do squats, even if it's without weight. That's what has helped me. It's impossible to substitute outside running, but sticking to grass off the sidewalk helps me.

Rolex,
    Man its great your getting in shape. you are a bad mother if you can do it by just running. I can't. A.D.D. kills me.

what works for me is using different means of cardio in a higher frequency. I ride a couple days a week, swim, and run. Doesn't hurt to try to slip in a session of P90X or some similar class type thing. (some great interval type thing)

If you want to get faster, intervals, as others have stated. But you must also work on endurance. Go out for 40min, very relaxed pace, but push yourself on the duration. And keep building an hour and longer.

Reading-try Born to Run, Chris McDougal(sp) The man has some great views on proper running form. Also a good story.

Keep it up and great job
    I was 200 now 165 5'10" feels f-ing great.

best
    dgwelsh

You are not running with those times. You are jogging. Before you hurt yourself, drop the weight and slow down. Your body is telling you that you are going too fast. Allow yourself to rest and recover for a week, then hit it hard again.

If you can barely pass the PT now, you will not make it through the academy. Your 1.5 mile time needs to be at least 11 min. flat. 9-10ish preferred. The minimum std time is there for slackers.

Allow your tendons and ligaments to adapt first. You are not a youngster anymore and it will take you longer to recover from stressful workouts.

Take all things white from your diet.
    No Sodas
    No sugar

Eat oatmeal and soup

On the workout deal...there should be a lot of puking and heaving once you get your body used to it. Stop during running to do pushups and situps. Puke, then start running again.

Above all else, get plenty of rest @ night and drink a lot of water. At least a gallon in the evening before bed time.

Do not give up. Pick em up and set em down.

BTW, put the academy off for 6 months until you are really ready to enter. You do not want to wash out due to physical issues. @ 5'7", you need to be at most 170lbs.

Lay off the twinkies.

Hoop

Also, nothing takes the place of running out side in the streets. Rain or shine. Running in the rain is the shit. Same for the cold. Just stretch really good.

Shave your head for motivation! It works.

ROLEX,

Running is not shooting. The analogy simply does not work. You are new to running, you still have some weight to lose, and your joints/ligaments are not yet acclimated to running. By worrying about time (which won't help you now) and pushing yourself too hard you risk injuring yourself and losing the ability to run or possibly exercise effectively at all.

Contrary to what many believe, the biggest secret to running faster is simply running more...even if it is not at a fast pace. By being conservative on the speed and patient as the weight comes off (and mixing in non-impact aerobics like an elliptical if you have access) you increase the odds that you will be successful.

Even when I was running 100+ mpw trying to qualify for the olympic trials, 80% of my miles were at an easy effort. Only 20% or so were faster.

Take high doses of the miracle pill the "yellowjacket". You can find these at your local gas station. Your heart will be beating so fast it wont take anytime at all to loose those lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSU Tiger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take high doses of the miracle pill the "yellowjacket". You can find these at your local gas station. Your heart will be beating so fast it wont take anytime at all to loose those lbs. </div></div>

Sounds like a recipe for an enlarged heart that will need a pace maker.

I love the advice you guys are giving. I would like to give it a try as well. Just turned 40 I weigh 200 lbs a shorty at 5 ft 6. Have not run in ages. Want to finish a marathon once in my life before I get decrepid. Other goal is to have the endurance I need to preservere if shit hits the fan.

If you want to improve on the 1.5 mile run, you have to mix it up. Here's some things to do: (Note: mixing things up will help in getting better and it will help mentally as it isn't going to get boring.).

Crossfit has helped me more than anything else. Here are some workouts that are simple and will help out. At 35, I can still run the 1.5 mile in 09:30 minutes because of it.).

1. 4 sets of:
    400 meter run
    50 air squats

2. 4 sets of:
    800 meter run
    3 minute break

3. 4 sets of:
    400 meter run
    25 good pushups
    25 situps

4. About once a week I would run the 1.5 mike run to see how you are progressing.

What does the PT gets consist of? Don't neglect the other things.

As someone else stated, you need to do interval training. Seems once a week would be enough for you.

I personally like doing this training on a treadmill for the simple fact that you can more easily track your intervals.
    For 2-3 miles... you do NOT want to hold onto the treadmill- you're only cheating yourself. The goal of this type of training is increased speed and improving your ability to us the oxygen you are breathing in.

Warm up at a slow pace for 2 minutes or so. Then speed yourself up to where you are just able to keep up for 1 minute- this would be your max 1 minute pace. Then decrease the speed to where you can just barely start to catch your breath. It's not a recovery jog, so don't slow down to barely moving. Hold this speed for about 1.5-2 minutes. You're giving yourself a chance to "rest up" while still training and getting the endurance aspect. After your "rest" time is up, do your 1 minute sprint again. Continue doing this until your distance has been covered.

I'll give an example of what I am currently using (I had a knee injury this past winter and just got back into running a few weeks ago, so this is actually slow for me, for you adjust down).
    3-4 miles
    1.5min @ 8.5mph
    1min @ 6.5mph

As you do this training, you can either increase your speeds, or decrease your rest/increase your spring time. As an example, last summer I was doing 2min @8.5mph and 1min at 6.8mph for 4-5 miles. I'll get back to that eventually assuming my body holds together.

That is what works for me, and has worked well for a number of my soldiers to meet and maintain SOCOM standard/RPFT (14:30min 2mi/sub 40min 5mi). Couple that with a good distance day and a 2 mile day (3 days a week) and you should meet your standard.

I'd suggest riding a mountain bike everynow and then to give your joints a break...preferably offroad as it is not a joyride like a country road. Also, go by some ankle weights and wear them as often as possible. You should with a bit of time get in a 8 minute a mile range I would suspect.

Lay off the beer, cigarettes, dope, fastfood, and well perhaps find youself a wild lady friend.

For me, running has always been my Achilles Heal, been into lifting since a teenager, packing on the mass more for looks than anything else, but now focusing on endurance and stamina, "power walking" on the treadmill has taught me to open up my stride while I run. I've dropped about 20 lbs since last December and around 8% body fat now. My two mile time is about 14:30, hopefully one day I'll get it down to about 13:00. For me, working on my core strength and stride helped my runnig more than "running" if that makes any sense.

What worked for me was doing short sprints and alot of hill sprints. Find about a 3mile run that has alot of preferably short steep hills in it. When you get to each hill, sprint your ass off up it, then catch your breath as you do the down hill. If the hill are big, the take your time for the first part, then when you are close to the top and have a target/crest to aim for, go hard again. This worked wonders for my time. Then when Id finished that, some situps and pressups just to get the upper body working aswell. Once you start getting fitter and your body is used to running, you could also add soft ankle weights, youll runn slower, but your legs wil strengthen and wen you take then off youll feel the difference.
    As has been said diet also plays a huge part, consider that every pound you loose, is a pound you dont have to carry, so that will make you faster on top of the fitness side of it. I lost a 20lbs a few years back, then put that weight in a backpack and went for a run, was alot of extra weight to haul.
    But above all, look after your muscles and joints, warm up and warm down, stretch and take the right suppliments ie chondroiten/glucosamine/fish oil etc for joints. Once you start seeing results, you'll be addicted. I need to get back to that aswell. Hope it helps and good luck with your test.

Consider this book:
    Chi Running .

I had to compartmentalize the running mechanics from the fluffybunny, but it really did help me correct some issues that kept plaguing my knees and ankles.

Also, perhaps consider a <span style="font-weight: bold">structured</span> workout routine. Check out some of these. It only goes down to 5k, I think. Just train for the 5k. The shorter run will just be a sprint for you on test day.

I see some good advice and some not so good advice.

I ran all-county 4 years through high, all-metro senior year, and ran division II XC in college. Your biggest issue is going to be your weight putting a pounding on your joints like you said. That your shins and ankles were hurting.

#1 most important thing is too have running shoes fitted to your feet by a professional. This will save you in the long run, no blisters and give you a better chance of avoided leg pain.

#2 Due to your heavy build avoid concrete especially, asphalt and any track surface. You need to run on DIRT, or mulch. These surfaces provide more of a give that will cushion the impact from your steps and help you avoid injury.

#3 I would look into swimming for sure. In college we used to have to swim once a week and I'm so glad we did amazing cardio, works your muscles and gives your joints a break.

#4 Since you said you had a desk job and sat pretty idle with no exercise, you need to train your heart first. Prolonged periods of elevated HR will provide better endurance. You have to crawl to walk, and walk to run. So start slow, and run/jog/walk for longer than you have to actually race for. And like everyone said diet is important. That is an understatement diet is everything. Treat your body like a race car and it will run like one.

#5 Since you have to run 1.5 miles you should set up some runs longer than 1.5 to make that feel shorter and easier. this will help you mentally as well. I would also set yourself with a specific training plan, and have a goal of being able to complete a 4 mile run. Others have posted very sound work-outs especially the fartlek which is great way for you to train. This will keep your HR elevated for a prolonged period, but also spiked for a period to give a better work-out. I would suggest 35% hard, 65% easy to make the HR change greater. However these workouts will do nothing for you but, promote injury if you not capable of completing them. Start with easy distance for at least a month before trying a work-out.

Its like going to the gym for your first time lifting and doing 20 sets of squats with an IFBB bodybuilder. When completing work-outs also keep track of all your splits try to stay consistent or improving upon each rep. Learning pace will come with more running nothing special.

A friend of mine in college that was in ROTC was trying to improve his 2 mile time and all he did was speed-work. He got better but he never got the benefit he would have gotten is he could have done some long runs. That is critical, I used run 15-20 milers to train for my 5 mile race in college. He was built similar to you as well at 5'10" 220.

I would start slow mix 1-2 work-outs per week with easy distance and swimming and you will smoke that 15:00 goal you have.

UPDATE: THE TEST IS OVER

1st I would like to tank everyone who commented in this thread and PM'ed me with advice and encouragement. Thank you all for the support.

as with anything in life as I went through all the data provided I tried to use the pieces that I felt would help me get to this short term goal. During thsi time I learned a lot about not only myself but about the way the body works.

The main lesson leraned is: FAT GUYS JUST DON'T RUN FAST OR VERY LONG DISTANCES!!!!

But seriously, there were many things pointed out by you guys that were just fact.

Here is a short list that played very key roles in my journey:

1) Pushing myself with this much weight and not taking the time to properly rest will get you injured! I cant describe teh pain I feel from my calves to my ankles. And while pain is temporary pride is forever, the test comes when it comes so you better be ready!

2) Surfaces make a diffrence! The tread mill is not the track, is not the basketball court, is not dirt, is not the street. All of these surfaces effect runing diffrently.

3) Not all shoes are created equal! I thought a pair of Finish Line store bought Brooks was good. Not for what I'm looking for, next stop the specialty store!

4) It has to become the norm, not the exception. You gotta go out with consistancy, not once a week to get it done.

5) It's just as much stress on your mind as it is on your body.

Again, that is just a short list.

Let me take you through teh day yesterday.

+get to the facility at 8:00am

+roll call and check in with the testing to begin at 9:00am
    I was teh only person out of 73 who started stretching, I couldnt belive it

+Explanation of the the 4 tests to be conducted
    1) sit and reach
    2) sit ups
    3) Bench press
    4) 1.5 mile run

+ weigh in

+ Begin tests

Test #1: Sit and reach

Now let me bring you up to speed real quick on teh sit and reach. To pass you must obtain a score of 15. On average that's about 1 in short of touching your toes. Well, when I started I could come about 5 inches past my kness. far short of the goal. As of yesterday I could touch my toes with minimal effort. That was a no brainer.

While in line you could see the peope who already passed teh sit and reach doing test #2.

Test #2: Sit ups:
    The mind fuck begins. So as I am waiting to do my sit and reach you cant help but watch the people doing teh sit ups. The goal is 24 in 1 minute... even when I was at 240+ I culd do that. yet i saw SEVERAL people FAIL thsi part of the test! all I could think was damn.. i didnt train for this? Could I get DQ'ed on this? So now my minds is stressing for. I get to teh sit nd reach, knock it out and head over to the sit up station. Luckily I had befriened a cool guy in line and we ended up getting partnered up for this. The County officer explained to us how he wanted us to hold for each other and how he wanted them completed. He said only his count mattered and that his stop watch would start when we made the movement for teh 1st sit up. I was 1st. When I cracked that 1st sit up all I could hear was this guy barking encouragment at me, someone i just meet wanting me to succeed. 24 came and went, with no problem I know there was tons of time left but they would not let us continue. I held for my partner and did teh same. No issue for him either.

Test #3: Bench press
    I'll save you a long story here. 52% of your body weight. 1x on a universal. I weighed in at 220, I had to get up 114.
    I do my reps with 175. This was a gimmie.

15 minute break............ then teh run!

It sure didnt feel like 15 minutes.

1.5 miles along a make shift track on a hardwood floor basketball court. I did not run on hardwood and the majority of my running had been on a nice cushioned indoor track. FUCK ME!

Test #4: The 1.5 mile run
    The layout provided for 22 laps to equal the 1.5 miles.
    The good news was that I was training so hard the last month, thus the reason I just about disapperaed from teh hide, that I had gotten my runs down to 15:40 on that nice cushioned track I described. but it came at a price. My legs have been a wreck for the last month with crazy pains. But my time was where I needed it to be. Or so I thought. Pain and all we started the run. i knew that at 11 laps i had to be at 8:15 to be in the game. The test limit was 16:52, I knew taht I could do a 15:40 and added about a minute for the hardwood and came up with the 8:15 half way mark to end up witha a 16:30 finish.

Laps 1, 2 , 3 and 4 came and went all was good......

Then lap 5 came, the pain began in my legs and it came fast and hard. I also began to notice I was breathing heavier than I normaly did on teh track I ran. My jogging turned into a walk for bout 1/4 lap. Lap 6 as no diffrent, as I circled I had to stop. I stopped about 10 ft from the instructor who we had to yell at each lap we ran for a check in. He gave me a look and sinly said you need to pick it up. It was THAT LOOK, anyone who has ever gotten THAT LOOK knows what I mean. As I began lap 7 the mental pitty party started, you look for every cheesy motivating thing you have ever come across to inspire you, songs, catch phrases, dead relatives.... none of it works. What seemed like a full lap was less than 1/4. Then my mind snapped, you go from looking to motivate yourself to turning on yourself. You call yourselve everything in teh book, worthless, a loser, a failure. You start to wonder how you will answer people when you get home, Did you pass? No I failed. There was a lit more downing yourself than the insparational part. Then I crossed the line headed into lap 8. I blanked out mentaly. My body said fuck it and took over. I don't remeber too many things about teh rest of the run. i know I was in pain, I know I ws exhausted, I know I had other people I meet that day calling from the side my name telling me no walking, you got this. I kow I was scared to fail. I also knw that somehow I completed those 22 laps in under 16:30, the only thing I don't know is how.

I got a long way to go to get wher i want to be. Yestreday I was where I needed to be.
    i know I'll take tis week to rest my legs, i knw I'll hit the gym and work on my upper body though.
    The next call willbe the polygraph and teh background check. You cant train for tose, what's done is done in life. Now we'll see if it's time to pay for our sins. I should be ok though.

Re: UPDATE: THE TEST IS OVER

Sounds like you are well on your way to better time. And your certainly right about the surface and shoes. have to have the right tools to get the results you want!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, nothing takes the place of running out side in the streets. Rain or shine. Running in the rain is the shit. Same for the cold. Just stretch really good.

Shave your head for motivation! It works. </div></div>

I just have to comment on the above, as simple as it sounds, it works,

one thing that has not been brought up enough is the mental part in this. There has been great advice as to increasing running speed and how to get fit and proper for the PT-tests.

However the mind game of running has to bee there to, and that is the come all weathers, all season comes in to play.

No bragging but I am 35, 199 and 5'11 during my last vacation, I went with the family to Thailand, me, my marathon running sister and her boy friend, age 29 or so went out running each morning,

I had the right mindset and they did n´t to do a 5 k run in 24-26 celsius and 110 procent humidity, up and down the hillsides of that island was not easy, but it was fun and nice.

Ergo if I can find that the right mindset, so can you.

Get to it and keep it up.

Ohh one last thing, dude you made it, that was some good pushing of mental barriers there, good job.

Best regards Chris

just pray the IRS aren't listening in when you do the poly test. well done, almost there

You've got the mental toughness, now you have the time to work on toughening up your body. Good job and good luck.

Edited to add: 22 laps around a bball court? That's completely retarded.