• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cutting wood stock for adjustable cheek piece

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
I believe it was here that I saw a stock that had an adjustable cheek piece on it that was added. Can anyone give me advice or pics? Thanks.

Re: cutting wood stock for adjustable cheek piece

I got bored this winter and decided to add an adjustable cheek to my never shot FN SPR with a McMillan stock as well as paint it with rattle can. I had nothing invested in the rifle but my confidence was high.

I taped off the butt, decided were my cuts should be, made a jig, and went for broke. I milled out for two ½ in aluminum rods in the cheek piece and made a jig to hold them parallel and plum, and epoxy them in place. There are a few other things I am leaving out but that is the gist for that piece.

The butt stock I milled an area out to receive two sleeves slightly overbored to receive the ½ rods, epoxied them in place to match the cheek piece, and finished the surfaces to look stock. Lastly I drilled and tapped the sleeves to receive set screws and painted the stock.

Obviously there are several other small steps that were needed so everything aligned but this is the basic steps I took. I am very happy with the outcome.
IMG_20120130_204818.jpg

untitled.jpg

FNHGAP.jpg

Re: cutting wood stock for adjustable cheek piece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe it was here that I saw a stock that had an adjustable cheek piece on it that was added. Can anyone give me advice or pics? Thanks. </div></div>

I made a fixture for a table saw. If you have a conventional knee mill you can just rotate the head to get the angles you want.

Hope this helps.

C.