• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

'Cuz I Know You Guys Love Noob Humor

Idaho Savage

Sergeant
Minuteman
In my effort to continue total and complete domination of the rookie population of the Hide, I give you this:

So here I am, all proud of myself for creating a DIY comb on my stock using pipe insulation and camo duct tape. And I'll be damned if it didn't fit me like a glove--instant fit, full view, etc. I'm so proud of myself, I tell my buddy about it, who's over having a beer--he's a very good LR shooter and has been help me learn the basics.

Me: "Dude, wait until you see this comb I made for my rifle. It looks soooo pro. And it fits like a f'in glove!"
Him: "Sweet! Let's see it."

We walk over to my safe. I unlock the door, unsnap the case and open it. He takes about a 1/2 second look at it and smiles.

Him: "That does look pro, dude. Except pros have to clean their barrels."

I stare at it for about five seconds until I realize that I've effectively blocked the chamber from the rear with my insulation and duct tape. No f'ing way to get a cleaning rod into it.

Me: "Ah shit."
Him: "You'll get 'em next time, shooter."

And...the plight of the noob continues. I thought you guys might get a smile out of that--I know my friend did.

What about doing something very similar to whatever you did with the pipe insulation, except cut a piece of velcro to attach it to the comb. The velcro shouldn't be too thick to interfere with cleaning. Just a thought.

Stick the cleaning rod in the muzzle, pass it through the action, then screw on your brush/patch holder and pull it through the bore (using a guide).

[MENTION=41826]gstaylorg[/MENTION] Funny you mention that--my GF, off people, suggested Velcro instead of the duct tape. I might give it a shot. In the meantime, I put the cheesy, thumb screw adjustable comb back on it that comes with it. Not nearly as comfortable as my creation, though.
[MENTION=26578]Ledzep[/MENTION] I've always been taught and told never to clean from the muzzle. I have a bore guide and one piece rod, so you're saying it wouldn't hurt, so long as I do it "backwards"? Seems pretty tedious, no?

You're not really cleaning from the muzzle. If you protect the crown while you insert the rod (and just the rod, no brush etc.), you won't do any damage. As far as tedious-- would you rather strip/reapply duct tape or a triad tactical stock pack every cleaning or screw a brush/patch loop on?

If you do it "correctly" you're supposed to unscrew the attachment once they clear the muzzle, pushing from the breech anyways (don't pull them back from the muzzle to the breech). Doesn't seem that much different in terms of time/effort.

I used this method to clean from the breech with my M1 Garand and Ruger mini 30 and it carried over when my cheek comb got in the way from the rear. Now I prefer it because it's damn near impossible to get "stuck" by trying to push too big of a patch down the bore. You also don't have to worry about stressing the rod and having it push into the rifling (especially with screw-together 12" sections).

I am with Ledzep, I pass my cleaning rod through the muzzle and then when it comes out of the bore guide i screw on my attachment for either brush or patches and then I pull it out of the muzzle. I think what they were trying to tell you was never work the brush the opposite way the bullet travels i.e. muzzle to action. and as far as it being tedious think of it this way, would you rather push a brush 24" down a barrel as the cleaning rod is sometimes bending under the pressure, or just pull it out? I hope this helps so you can keep your nice new cheek rest!

Yep, I bought sight rings that are too high, then built up a cheek pad, and have to take the cheek pad off the gun to clean from the breech. My pad is velcroed on...now. I also don't clean the gun very often.

I have lower scope rings ordered, but may still have to remove the cheek pad to clean, not sure yet.

Hang in there. I'm only a few months ahead of you.

Joe

I concur with the other posters about pulling patches and brushes out the muzzle as opposed to pushing them. Pulling always seemed much easier than pushing. I also don't see how it's more tedious. You have to detach any brushes no matter which way you do it.

Too..much...out of the box...thinking! Brain hurts!

No, the pull method makes perfect sense now that I understand what you're saying. Going to the range during the next few days, so hopefully I'll have to give a shot afterwards.

You could always put a notch in your foam. I have to do that every time I add a Kirsten to a stock. I'm probably not doing it right and putting it too far forward or something though.