• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 LRP

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    This looks nice, finally a usable MTR barrel setup. Screw in an Arca rail + Barricade stop and this could be a definitely nice rig.

1585180887103.png

Built for shooters who want to exploit the extraordinary accuracy potential of the CZ 457 to its fullest, the LRP is tuned to enable hits on target at extreme distances – assuming the shooter does their part!

Equipped with a 20” fluted varmint barrel, the LRP borrows the MATCH chamber that was originally exclusive to the 457 MTR. This supremely-accurate barrel has a threaded muzzle (1/2x20 UNF) and is topped off with a muzzle brake.

The LRP’s target-style stock bears a soft-touch finish and has a prominent pistol grip, extended forend, textured grip surfaces and a prominent rear hook designed to cradle the shooter’s support hand. For those desiring to add a rear monopod, a rail is also present at the toe.

Adjustability abounds, with length of pull able to be tuned with the three included spacers (351-382 mm), while the height of the comb and the buttpad are also user-configurable.

Also included in the LRP package is a 25 MOA Weaver-style rail (with built-in inclination that enables sighting in at longer distances), an oversized bolt knob, 5-round magazine and a premium 4M rifle case.

looks like an MTR design with butt hook on it.I can't take a look on that MTR stock design this is more compelling to my EYE!

Reactions: Rio2019
    I´ve already posted it in sticky 457 thread, i think it would be nice to either move posts from there to this thread, or the other way, so one rifle wont be discussed on two separate places, makes no sense.

Anyways,

1) MSRP is about 1100 EUR in Europe, so expect about 1100 to 1200$ in US. Quite a penny for a CZ if you ask me.

2) I have heard from CZ 557 owner with same cheek rest (I Believe its 557 Varmint Synthetic) that it feels very cheap and fragile (the cheek rest)

3) The stock is actually non synthetic, it´s wood. A beech wood, treated with a base paint and then rubber finish, like car interior, modern ThinkPad laptops or something you spray with PlastiDip.

Guys, I may be missing something here, and if I do please enlighten me. But here is a thing. I consider this an expensive rimfire, as this price range belongs to Anschutz, Quad Range, HW66 Jagdmatch, etc, and you cannot go any further, so we are talking de-facto top end of the factory 22LR rimfires. If you would want to make an expensive factory long range rimfire, that looks like an "adult" precision rifle, throw in all the goodies like match chamber, large bolt knob, 25 MOA Rail, why the hell would you take a wooden beech stock, and then treat it in the way that looks like synthetic? It is literally the worst of both worlds.

Either go strong laminate like GRS or Quad Range, better yet KRG style full-synthetic with aluminium bedding so it will be stable, or go wood that looks like a damn wood (e.g. Anschutz Walnut stocks with treated grip surfaces). Because this will not only lack in stiffness and a proper bedding, but will also (and mark my words on this) peel off over time and look awful. Just like everything rubber threated.

Just my 2 cents, i would be glad if someone would tell me that I am wrong and explain why.

The soft touch paint they claim is probably like other soft touch paints out there. They break down in UV light and become sticky over time.

If the stock is as claimed in the above post. Nevermind. Sounds like junk

Reactions: Basher
    If the stock is as claimed in the above post. Nevermind. Sounds like junk

Yep. If they'd been smart, they would have pulled a Seekins and released a 457 Bravo. If I don't go the Bergara route (I'd LOVE a Vudoo, but I'm living on a Bergara/457 budget right now :ROFLMAO: ), then my plan is to find a used Varmint and throw it in a Bravo. They would have sold a bunch and had a better product out of the gate.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dthomas3523
    I bought the Varmint with the 20" barrel, a Bravo chassis and then spent 35 on a Scar rail and 20 on a nice bolt knob.

$900.00 for a pretty nice rifle I will be happy to drag out in front of anyone... The match chamber may be a plus but the fluting, ehhh .... At the same cost I definitely would not trade guns.

Just me...

Reactions: 308pirate
    Wood stock???.....FML...That sucks. should have been some composite/nylon plastic whatever KRG or bergara uses.

Hell they should sell MTR barreled actions (16" and 20" threaded) without stocks for 400-500 bucks. Then we can choose what we want. Lots of good options and you would still be cheaper for the most part

Hope they offer it (an MTR chambered barrel from the website) but.... CZ might use the nice chamber as a lever to force you to buy the more expensive rifle... It's still to soon to say without the rifle being released to distributors but.... I am hoping this is not like the Cadillac Cimarron. ie a Chevy Cavalier with a few little upgrades, mostly cosmetic, and then priced half again what it really should cost. If the marketing guys convince CZ to make a $$ grab with a dolled up Pro Varmint it will hurt what they have accomplished with the good bang for the buck 450 line of rifles.

Another .02 from me.....

Reactions: Frankr
    I'm with @Merlin O. I have a CZ 457 Varmint MTR that I will keep in the wood stock for now and shoot for awhile. When funds allow, I'd like to put it into a Bravo chassis. I did buy a Bscar rail and Area 419 bolt knob for peanuts, kinda blew my wad on an Ares ETR. Mainly, I wanted the match chamber and barrel for now.

After seeing the results of these bartlien barrels and hopefully the Lothar Walther barrels shoot as good. It might be cheaper to buy a scout for the action, drop an aftermarket barrel in and get the stock of your choice.

the new CZ457 varmint precision chassis should have been made with the MTR match chamber.
    That would be a decent set up for the price.
    Problem is once you get to $1,000 you are in Bergara and others territory and the match chamber would only help the CZs

After seeing the results of these bartlien barrels and hopefully the Lothar Walther barrels shoot as good. It might be cheaper to buy a scout for the action, drop an aftermarket barrel in and get the stock of your choice.

the new CZ457 varmint precision chassis should have been made with the MTR match chamber.
    That would be a decent set up for the price.
    Problem is once you get to $1,000 you are in Bergara and others territory and the match chamber would only help the CZs

THIS

its neat looking but at 1200 dollars I don't see one in my future for a 22lr no thanks .

Reactions: nakoa01
    Its nice looking rig for sure, but alot of good and realistic comments. The thing is I dont believe it's even available here in the US. I was also looking at the CZ 455 mini sniper, would love to have that one, but again, not available in the US.

Big CZ fan here, several in the safes but that stock looks cheap AF!!! A muzzle break??? This is rimfire right? Have fun cleaning that after 1000 rounds of lead build up.

Has anyone found one of these rifles in the States?

***Edit***

I stumbled across a 457 LRP on the used rack at a local store the other day and I couldn't find any details on whether or not these were available in the States yet. I went back today and it turns out this rifle was an unfired sales sample. Naturally, since I was in the market for a .22lr CZ, I had to buy it. After Google-ing the specific SKU, it appears these are starting to trickle into the market even though their not listed on CZ's site or US catalog. I'm happy that I actually paid quite a bit less than the two listings I found.

Let me know if there's anything ya'll want to know or pictures of anything in particular. There are very few detailed pictures out there.

50291589961_a2af3ceb43_h.jpg

50291589931_6c215cb447_h.jpg

50290915688_48bbdf61ee_h.jpg

Last edited:
    More detailed pictures.

Barrel stamped "22LR MATCH 1/2x28"
    50291109393_2deb6d62ad_h.jpg

Standard knurled thread protector, no brake
    50291932612_0adfcf4b65_h.jpg

Underside of forend of the stock
    50291109508_6c1c01de2f_h.jpg

25MOA CZ marked rail
    50291786481_791a25621c_h.jpg

Stock inletting, no pillars seen, but note the apparent recoil lug. I don't know if this is standard on 457 rifles, as this is my first and only one.
    50291932827_75435f3e2b_h.jpg

Stock is definitely wood and the coating is textured and rubberized.
    50291109253_73fc72aac0_h.jpg

Another shot of the recoil lug.
    50291109308_baf655b997_h.jpg

Barrel matched to receiver. Again, I don't know if this is standard for the 457.
    50291933327_13f34cef20_h.jpg

Match chamber is only on the MTR 457's right now. Cool that it's threaded already.

How does the stock feel and how are the adjustments?

Seen some good reviews on these. Tell us how it ends up doing.

A Torqx 20 bit is needed to adjust stuff. Length of pull is done by adding spacers. Comb height is done by loosening off a screw and pulling/pushing comb piece up or down.

Tooless would have been great. Allen wrench instead of T20 bit would have been better.

Match chamber is only on the MTR 457's right now. Cool that it's threaded already.

How does the stock feel and how are the adjustments?

Stock feels really good. Much more solid than a Hogue overmold stock and not nearly as "squishy". No flex anywhere. Adjustment ranges are good. Palm swell and forend swell are fairly large. You can raise/lower the cheek piece, raise/lower/rotate butt pad and extend/shorten length of pull by means of spacers. The actual act of making these adjustments is rather painful in my opinion. Perhaps because it's new, but figuring out which screws loosen which feature and the proper sequence could have been better designed. When all locked up, it's much more solid than the Ruger precision rimfire I have.

Seen some good reviews on these. Tell us how it ends up doing.

Well, I was going to hit the range tonight or tomorrow, but this happened. I was checking the torque on all the fasteners and when checking the scope base, the two forward screws would not get tight. I had my Weeler's torque wrench set to just under 10in/lbs (~1Nm). Not a fan of how CZ expects people to mount bases to these. It appears the mount was compromised from the factory, as you can actually see it begin to separate in one of the earlier pictures I posted. Looking at other scope bases, it appears the Area419 base would have the most secure mounting solution.

50292140906_0518d60474_h.jpg

That has to be disappointing. At least it's easily fixed. Keep us posted.

I bought an MTR in June as my first precision rifle. I've been to the range nearly every weekend since, and I am loving both the rifle and the experience. Great fun!

That has to be disappointing. At least it's easily fixed. Keep us posted.

I bought an MTR in June as my first precision rifle. I've been to the range nearly every weekend since, and I am loving both the rifle and the experience. Great fun!

Indeed! Area419 30 MOA base will be here tomorrow and I'll hit the range this weekend. I've got a variety of ammo to try out and some other samples on order. What ammo is your MTR favoring?

As I said earlier, I am new to this precision shooting thing, so I consider most of my experience up to this point to be learning. I’m finally starting to get a bit more confident with my abilities, so beginning this past weekend, I’m starting to test ammo in as an objective method as possible.

I created 50-yard targets with five bullseyes on a sheet of 8½” x 11” paper. The intent is to shoot five shots per bullseye, all with the same ammo. I photograph each target and use the Ballistic-X app to measure the group size. Finally, I calculate the average group size and standard deviation for the five 5-shot groups.

I’ve been working on this past weekend’s results tonight:
    AmmoSpreadsheet.jpg

Here is an example of a target and also of the Ballistic-X app group-size measurement.
    Target_1_LR.jpg
    BallisticX_0.39MOA.jpg

So anyway, in answer to your question, I’ve gotten good results from most of the mid-to-higher-end target ammo I’ve shot. (I’ve yet to break into the Lapua stuff and the Eley Tenex.) The only target ammo I’ve been disappointed in is Federal Premium Gold Medal Target. Conversely, I’d gotten very good results from Federal Premium Gold Medal Match, which isn’t (or wasn’t at the time) terribly expensive. I apparently bought the FPGM Target thinking I was getting the same thing. But no. And not only does it not group well, but my 457 won’t eject it! I had no such problems with the FPGM Match. Go figure.

Reactions: Frankr
    Comments on the MTR's match chambered bbl remind me of my experience with both a MTR & VPT. The MTR shot pretty fair groups with the factory bbl, but after the results of re-barreling a 457 American that didn't shoot worth crap with a Shilen ratchet rifled bbl, I decided to do the same with the MTR. The improvement over the OEM MTR bbl was easy to see, and I felt, worthwhile. Then came the Manners-stocked VPT, with a factory 24" threaded bbl that was less than stellar - it shot pretty decent at 50yds, but when I took it out to 100 & 200yds, it was simply unacceptable.

What to do - I really enjoyed the appearance & feel of the VPT's Manners stock, and while the MTR stock was usable, it wasn't something I was crazy about. So I simply swapped bbl'd actions, putting the Shilen-bbl'd MTR action into the VPT's Manners stock. Then I pulled the VPT's 24" bbl and replaced it with the MTR bbl that was just taking up space since I'd replaced it on the MTR with the Shilen, and put that bbl'd action in the MTR stock. What I wound up with is a VPT in a quality Manners stock that shoots very nearly as well as my V-22s, and a MTR that shoots as good as it did originally. The new 457 LRP rifle looks OK to me, but there's no way I'd pay that price for a rifle that's going to have a bbl that may or may not shoot good enough to please me - especially now that I have the VPT/Shilen rifle that is going to shoot at least as good as the best match chambered bbl that CZ is selling right now, and quite a bit better than probably 99% of them.

Reactions: Merlin O
    Wow, this is really cool. CZ has really been doing great with all these variants of the 457. Makes me want multiples!

Wow, this is really cool. CZ has really been doing great with all these variants of the 457. Makes me want multiples!

I know, right! This is my first CZ rimfire and I haven't even shot it yet, but I have the itch for a nice walnut stock model.

I know, right! This is my first CZ rimfire and I haven't even shot it yet, but I have the itch for a nice walnut stock model.

I have the walnut stock model (CZ 457 Lux), it looks really nice in person. I got it because I wanted a nice classic style 22 rifle that will age nicely. I'm very happy with it and highly recommend it!

Reactions: joesrcool
    Shot it for the first time today and all I can say is, this seems to punch above its weight class.
    7A74D1E9-4F84-4D3F-A878-72E302BFC498.jpeg

E60D9536-C2BB-4BFE-BDC5-D36F5982D7CA.jpeg

Indeed! Area419 30 MOA base will be here tomorrow and I'll hit the range this weekend. I've got a variety of ammo to try out and some other samples on order. What ammo is your MTR favoring?

Lapua center X is the go to and generally very accurate in most rifles.

I had great results tonight with all 3 of these. Far better than I expected from the cheapies.
    E7662F53-CCC0-472F-926C-7984ECABED8C.jpeg

Pictures of Groups?
    25m. Sample size is small. I realize that. Wind was gusting up to 10mph right to left. This page is every round down the barrel so for.
    I’m also just learning how to shoot.
    BEB30804-899D-4AFA-8600-64981222CA09.jpeg

Last edited:
    I’m headed back out today to try some more. Seemingly, the gun didn’t like the Aguila SV.
    I have RWS Club and RWS Pistol Match to try too. Those two are the most expensive of what I bought. I did not opt for the $35.99cad/50 Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match because I just didn’t want to know that’s what it likes best.