• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cz 457 or tikka t1x can't decide

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Im looking at getting into nrl 22 matchs and practicing for center fire matches. I cant decide on which route to go. I have felt the cz 455 action but have never held the t1x or 457. I will have to order the gun. Can i get some opinions of what you like or dislike about said rifle. Im also not opposed to the cz455 if i could find it.

I love my T1x. I hang with the Vudoo’s and the custom cz’s At matches without a problem. If I lose a match it isn’t the rifles fault. I have mine in a KRG Bravo and I would say it is hands down my favorite rifle to shoot. I enjoy it a lot more than my centerfire rifle which is basically a big brother to it. It’s a Tikka CTR in KRG Bravo. It looks like me and mini me.

The second photo is my rifle as well as my sons and a friend who shoots with us with my T3x thrown in the mix
9AE14B78-A14C-4530-B824-07AA0687A127.jpeg
B154252C-6C84-4760-AD50-E7D685B5B8C0.jpeg
E9612EE1-F51F-4F57-833A-C0DFDB8F1952.jpeg
B154252C-6C84-4760-AD50-E7D685B5B8C0.jpeg

I absolutely love my T1x, and like mentioned it's a perfect complement to my CTR. I love the short bolt lift also. I recently put mine in a MDT LssXL. I actually love it more now than I did before. If I am having a good day shooting I am right in there with the voodoos.
IMG_20190705_144345952.jpg

Reactions: Bravo6 and Alabusa
I love my T1x. I hang with the Vudoo’s and the custom cz’s At matches without a problem. If I lose a match it isn’t the rifles fault. I have mine in a KRG Bravo and I would say it is hands down my favorite rifle to shoot. I enjoy it a lot more than my centerfire rifle which is basically a big brother to it. It’s a Tikka CTR in KRG Bravo. It looks like me and mini me.

The second photo is my rifle as well as my sons and a friend who shoots with us with my T3x thrown in the mixView attachment 7110442View attachment 7110445View attachment 7110446View attachment 7110445
have you compared it to the cz457 or 455? They are in same price range?

Reactions: Bravo6
I'll join in on the Tikka love as well :)

I felt the 457, it's nice, but aftermarket is not as readily available. The Bravo is a fantastic stock for the T1X. Also the Tikka's with the $10 spring will lower the trigger to 1lb, and it's so crisp with no creep. Out of the box you can adjust the trigger to ~2lbs. If you want it any lighter you can replace the spring with an aftermarket $10 spring.

The second photo is my rifle as well as my sons and a friend who shoots with us with my T3x thrown in the mixView attachment 7110442

instant hard on! that burnt bronze is amazing!!! now I want to do that to mine!!!

Get both, I did. but the Manners chassis on the 457 trainer is limited, comb height is too low for my taste and I have the lowest rings possible on that thing.

Tikka will have a huge following and is already starting to out pace the aftermarket.

Reactions: Alabusa
CZ 455, and get you a .22 suppressor while you're at it.
Having shot both the 455 and T1X I would have no hesitation to recommend the Tikka. Better bolt manipulation and finer product. From what I've seen the accuracy is quite similar, but honestly I think that Tikkas will have a better barrel on average.

I have not shot the 457 yet, it is somewhat quite on par with the Tikka?

Having shot both the 455 and T1X I would have no hesitation to recommend the Tikka. Better bolt manipulation and finer product. From what I've seen the accuracy is quite similar, but honestly I think that Tikkas will have a better barrel on average.

I have not shot the 457 yet, it is somewhat quite on par with the Tikka?
Yeah, its very similar in comparison with Tikka, in my opinion the different between them is more about preference. a lot of people feel comfortable with tikka because it comes highly recommended and the recoil is super smooth.

i can vouch that @Eoddave27 can hang with the vudoo's and the cz's.

i'm biased because i shoot a 457 VPT so you should go with that ?

i have a 455 pro varmint (aka tacticool) and 457 vpt. the biggest difference is the stocks. the boyds pro varmint fits me ok but it is definitely smaller. the manners stock on the vpt is in a different league. the 457 version is better than the 455 version. also, the 457 has a 60 degree bolt throw vs the 90 degree on the 455. the stock triggers are both ok. i replaced my 455 with a timney and noticed a little improvment. i have not done anything to the 457 yet but this one is more user friendly and adjustable.

have you compared it to the cz457 or 455? They are in same price range?

I haven’t compared the Tikka to the 457 but I have compared it to the 455. My opinion is the Tikka is the winner hands down. I prefer the bolt on the Tikka and the factory trigger is fantastic. I got all three in the photo above down to a nice crisp 1 1/2 lbs with no modifications at all. If you take a bone stock T1x, put it into a $370 KRG Bravo, add a rail and scope and you are done. Side by side with a Vudoo mine will shoot the same size groups with the factory barrel. The CZ’s I have seen and shot are great but typically to get that kind of accuracy and trigger performance you are going to need an aftermarket barrel and trigger. The CZ’s are fantastic rifles with a long track record for quality but with what you get with the tikka right out of the box they are hard to beat. There also isn’t a lot of aftermarket support for the 457 yet. I’m sure it isn’t far off though. The factory tikka stock isn’t anything special but since the T1x will work with any T3x chassis or stock that really opens up a lot of possibilities too. Building a trainer if you have a Tikka centerfire is really easy.

price wise i think it breaks down a couple of different ways depending on what you are looking to spend. @Eoddave27 feel free to jump in a correct for price

bone stock tikka vs a bone stock 455 / 457 pro varmint i would put the edge to the 457 because the stock is a little nicer, even though you are paying about $75-100 more (between $450 and $500 for the tikka, between $500 and $600 for the cz)

if you are planning on taking the actions and dropping them in a chassis the tikka is the better value but you are looking at about $800 or so for the tikka with a TON of options vs limited, expensive options for the 457 right now.

Reactions: garandman
Even though I have a Tikka T1X, if I had to do it over again and I was getting into 22LR w/o thinking about PRS trainer, the 457 at-one varmint is a great purchase... $587 for a varmint barrel and a decent stock.

Like MDrimfirerookie said, $460 for a Tikka T1X, + $400 for the Bravo, ~ $860. The only other I'm planning on adding to the T1X is the Sterk swept-back handle which will be here next week.

My fully factory 457 MTR was good for 8-11mm groups at 50 yards with Lapua Midas + . CZ guarantees 15mm.

The T1X has more chassis options. (e.g. KRG Bravo, and ohers) MPA has a $950 chassis for the 457 (ordered one recently) , and supposedly MDT does also tho I never did get a straight answer from anyone there. XLR / KRG and a few others said they were looking at doing a 457 chassis, but couldn't give me a time est.

Lilja has a 457 barrel (getting one installed on my 457. The one on my 455 shot really good) International Barrels has a T1x barrel.

From what I've seen / handled, I like the smoothness of the 457 action a little more than the T1x. The 457 action is a step up from the 455. I've owned and used both CZ's extensively.

Last edited:
price wise i think it breaks down a couple of different ways depending on what you are looking to spend. @Eoddave27 feel free to jump in a correct for price

bone stock tikka vs a bone stock 455 / 457 pro varmint i would put the edge to the 457 because the stock is a little nicer, even though you are paying about $75-100 more (between $450 and $500 for the tikka, between $500 and $600 for the cz)

if you are planning on taking the actions and dropping them in a chassis the tikka is the better value but you are looking at about $800 or so for the tikka with a TON of options vs limited, expensive options for the 457 right now.

What trigger does the stock 457 come with? The stock trigger on the 455 tacticool I shot really stunk. I kind of figured right off the bat that would need replaced. I also haven’t seen the kind of consistent accuracy out of the factory CZ 455 barrels that I have seen out of the 3 tikkas I have setting on the table. They all shoot well under 1 MOA at 100 yards with any decent quality ammo. Now CZ May have really upped their game with the 457 but since the aftermarket support isn’t really there for it yet I didn’t really look at it that closely.

What trigger does the stock 457 come with?

Its a decent adjustable trigger. Not on the level of a Timney, but can be adjusted and "re-sprung" (Yo Dave) to a pretty decent single stage.

As noted above, the factory barrel gave me 8-11mm groups at 50yd with the 457. The Lilja 455 barrel was much better. A Lilja 457 bbl is on its way to me.

i'm not refined enough to notice a crappy trigger from a great trigger so i can't help anyone there.

in terms of barrels, i think it really depends on if they are very ammo sensitive or not. i seem to see cz's being ammo sensitive and the tikkas not as much.

aftermarket wise the 455 and 457 barrels are the exact same specs. they are interchangeable.

The big reason I went with the tikka was I knew the factory stock and trigger didn’t need changed and would perform as well as premium aftermarket options for them CZ. If I had to buy a new trigger, barrel and chassis I probably would have just saved a little more for a Vudoo. When I did the math and looked at upgrades that would be needed the Tikka just came out as a much better value for my purposes especially since I don’t care for the Boyd’s stocks.

With the 457 action , Lilja barrel cerakotedd and and mpa chassis I'll have about 2000 into this rifle.

Remains to be seen if it shoots as good as a Vudoo.

Reactions: Eoddave27
So far without my scope I have $857 each in my rifle and my sons. The rifle was $468. I bought it in DE so there was no tax. The KRG stock was $359 from Brownell after the $30 coupon and free shipping and add another $40 for the 25 MOA rail. All the Cerakote work I did myself. I still need to do the Cerakote on my sons rifle. My buddy has the same exact money in his. While a Vudoo may be capable of shooting a tiny bit better I think at the level of accuracy these rifles are delivering it will depend more on the shooter and ammo than anything else. All three of the T1x’s in the photo above are equally accurate with just about any quality ammo and are hands down the most accurate factory barreled rifles I’ve ever shot. I know a lot of people want a heavier profile barrel but in this case I don’t see you gaining any accuracy with the heavier barrel. The slimmer profile is also fantastic for maneuvering on barricades and shooting offhand.

Also the Tikka's with the $10 spring will lower the trigger to 1lb, and it's so crisp with no creep. Out of the box you can adjust the trigger to ~2lbs. If you want it any lighter you can replace the spring with an aftermarket $10 spring.

What spring works for the T1x? Same as for T3?

What spring works for the T1x? Same as for T3?

When I bought my Tikka my plan was to put one of the KRG triggers in it. I really wasn’t prepared for just how nice the factory trigger is. I guess I was just used to the way most of the factory triggers are on inexpensive rifles. The tikka triggers are so nice I really see no need to upgrade unless you want a two stage trigger.

Seems like most people like the tikka. I had planned on adding cheak rise to the stock of which ever i bought. I like the look of the krg and oryx but hat to have $850 tied up in 22. How bad is the factory stocks on these rifles?

Seems like most people like the tikka. I had planned on adding cheak rise to the stock of which ever i bought. I like the look of the krg and oryx but hat to have $850 tied up in 22. How bad is the factory stocks on these rifles?

It just depends on how comfortable you want to get behind the rifle and what your plans are. I chose a T1X to mirror my T3X so I could have the same fundamentals when doing NRL22/PRS.

If I was just doing NRL22 and never intended to do PRS, I'd just get a 10/22, there are a few 10/22 with match grade customizations ~650 that will get you sub moa @ 100 yards.

If you wanted to shell out the least amount of money and get something that might fit you / feel comfortable, I'd look at the Boyd's At-One CZ 457. I think you'd end up with everything @ ~$600. You'd get a nice match barrel 16.5" threaded, adjustable LOP and Cheek Riser.

What are you goals with the 22? Like what do you want to do with it?

To answer your original question, the T1X stock sucks. It's too short, I would need to add like .75-1" more length for myself, and I'd need to buy one of those beartooth comb neoprene/foam stock sleeves to get myself another .7" of comb height so I can see down my scope. I could also maybe get the vertical grip too.

So T1X $469, Vertical Grip $15, Comb Riser, $25, some plastic inserts for LoP, $10. So $520ish for a pretty ugly contraption but it'll shoot fine.

It just depends on how comfortable you want to get behind the rifle and what your plans are. I chose a T1X to mirror my T3X so I could have the same fundamentals when doing NRL22/PRS.

If I was just doing NRL22 and never intended to do PRS, I'd just get a 10/22, there are a few 10/22 with match grade customizations ~650 that will get you sub moa @ 100 yards.

If you wanted to shell out the least amount of money and get something that might fit you / feel comfortable, I'd look at the Boyd's At-One CZ 457. I think you'd end up with everything @ ~$600. You'd get a nice match barrel 16.5" threaded, adjustable LOP and Cheek Riser.

What are you goals with the 22? Like what do you want to do with it?

To answer your original question, the T1X stock sucks. It's too short, I would need to add like .75-1" more length for myself, and I'd need to buy one of those beartooth comb neoprene/foam stock sleeves to get myself another .7" of comb height so I can see down my scope. I could also maybe get the vertical grip too.

So T1X $469, Vertical Grip $15, Comb Riser, $25, some plastic inserts for LoP, $10. So $520ish for a pretty ugly contraption but it'll shoot fine.
I am wanting to shoot 22 matches and also practice for prs matches. I cant shell out the money for a mpa chassis to match my match gun. I agree with not wanting to add length of pull and comb height to have a ugly 22lr that is $550. I am curious as to how much crossover/close the krg or oryx chassis will be to mpa for training purposes?

I didn't want to shell out money for MPA for both, so that's why I ended up with a Bravo for both :) Sorry can't help with comparing them all.

If going KRG or Oryx, it looks like you'll need a T1X, as they don't have them for the 457 yet.

I chose the Bravo because I liked the aesthetics more than the Oryx.

T1x vs 457? The question seems to be moot. I can't find either one for sale anywhere! Does anybody have a line on where to obtain one of these fine peashooters? I got a birthday coming up!

T1x vs 457? The question seems to be moot. I can't find either one for sale anywhere! Does anybody have a line on where to obtain one of these fine peashooters? I got a birthday coming up!
May not be best price, but they have them:

or one left at https://gunprime.com/product/tikka-t1x-22-lr-20-116-5-rifle-jrt1x300/

May not be best price, but they have them:

or one left at https://gunprime.com/product/tikka-t1x-22-lr-20-116-5-rifle-jrt1x300/

Thanks for the responses folks. I've been told to be ware of gunbroker and we don't have Cabelas in Cali but I now see Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop are teamed up and I didn't know that. Wikiarms didn't find the gunprime deal. Thanks again

I've done many deals on gunbroker and never had a problem. Look for the seller reviews.

Only deal with sellers that have an A + rating

garandman is right. I know a lot of people who use gun broker. It’s just like eBay or Amazon even. Look at the seller and make sure they have a good rating. A lot of the big shops sell on gun broker too just to expand their reach. I have got some really good deals there and picked up some really hard items to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: garandman
I have made 93 purchases on GB and only had two bad transaction that were both taken care of by the seller. One was a bulged barrel and the other was a broke grip on a Browning Medalist.

Nothing wrong with the factory stock. I probably wouldn't have bought my KRG but I wanted to have a stock ready for a larger OD barrel when they hit the market. Here is my stock Tikka with cheek riser.
Tactical Sharpshooter RT Side.jpg
Tactical Sharpshooter LF Side.jpg
Tactical Sharpshooter Full Mag closed.jpg
Tactical Sharpshooter Full Mag open.jpg
Tactical Sharpshooter Buckles.jpg

You could find a used T3X CTR stock which has a little bit of a built in cheek riser, and I guess a larger channel for the barrel. I still have mine, but I sold the little cheek piece that came with it. It has the spacers for extra LOP & you could screw in a new cheek piece. Also has the vertical grip.

I know this is an old thread. I'm making the same decision. I was between a T1X in a KRG Bravo or a 457 pro varmint. Then I saw people saying you'd need a cheek riser and possibly a LOP change on the Pro-Varmint so now I'm looking at the At One. I've never handled a Boyds stock or a Bravo so not sure what I'd prefer. I don't shoot centerfire PRS so I don't need a trainer. I don't like the look of the wood laminate on the At One but I think a little paint could fix that.
I'd also like a 16" barrel so I could add a can without being too long, but have yet to see the 16" T1X available. Are they scheduled to be imported?
I have seen where the Tikkas are less ammo picky. Many people say they get acceptable to good accuracy with CCI SV. That would be nice. I currently shoot nothing but Midas Plus in my CZ452, but it does really well with everything.

Last resort is a V22. I'm cheap and don't want to spend that much. Just not sure the accuracy will be that much better to justify the expense. Plus I don't need to duplicate the centerfire experience since I'm not competing in it.

If I got a 457 At One ($600) and the accuracy was lacking I could swap in a Lilja barrel ($400) and hopefully get the accuracy I want and still be money ahead of a V22. Any thoughts?

Yes IBI, and I'm going out on a limb here to say I believe Lothar Walther is having a discussion about the Tikka.

I know this is an old thread. I'm making the same decision. I was between a T1X in a KRG Bravo or a 457 pro varmint. Then I saw people saying you'd need a cheek riser and possibly a LOP change on the Pro-Varmint so now I'm looking at the At One. I've never handled a Boyds stock or a Bravo so not sure what I'd prefer. I don't shoot centerfire PRS so I don't need a trainer. I don't like the look of the wood laminate on the At One but I think a little paint could fix that.
I'd also like a 16" barrel so I could add a can without being too long, but have yet to see the 16" T1X available. Are they scheduled to be imported?
I have seen where the Tikkas are less ammo picky. Many people say they get acceptable to good accuracy with CCI SV. That would be nice. I currently shoot nothing but Midas Plus in my CZ452, but it does really well with everything.

Last resort is a V22. I'm cheap and don't want to spend that much. Just not sure the accuracy will be that much better to justify the expense. Plus I don't need to duplicate the centerfire experience since I'm not competing in it.

If I got a 457 At One ($600) and the accuracy was lacking I could swap in a Lilja barrel ($400) and hopefully get the accuracy I want and still be money ahead of a V22. Any thoughts?

If you read the last 20 or so posts in the T1X thread, we've been having conversations about precision on the T1X. I mean you're shooting Midas+ out of your CZ... that's what $16 a box? So it comes down to what kind of game you want to play and how much money you want to spend.

I'm at the point finally where I think the better ammo might get me some more points in NRL22 and maybe eeek out a win. So while center-x doesn't shoot twice as good as Eley Target, it's enough to get me a few more points in competition that I'll probably spend that on the ammo.

Same reason why I went with the IBI Barrel, to try to get maybe another 3/16" accuracy out of it at 50 yards.

If today, they offered the V22 with a 50-70 degree throw bolt, I'd pick it up and sell everything else I own. But right now I enjoy cycling my Tikka more, so I'm investing a few hundred into it to maybe tighten up the groups. Out of the box though you should have no problem shooting 1/2" at 50 and 1" at 100 with Center-X/Rifle Match/Eley Match like ammo.

Just bought a tikka t1 today. To me in my opinion the cz is a much more refined gun. My stick trigger will not go below 2lbs without slam firing. Bluing is better on the cz, the bore is tighter on the cz. The stock, any of them, are better on the cz. The lop is really short on the tikka factory stock. Bravo is a must

I have the Boyd's at 1 and 16in barrel. With center x it is one if the best shooting guns I own. I have a precision trainer from cz in the manners and my at 1 model out shoots it. I have played with an mtr extensively and my at 1 out shoots it too. My tikka is yet to be fired. I bought it as a squirrel rifle. I suspect it will either shoot very well and get a timney or it will be traded/sold in a day.

nakoa01, that is fantastic you like the 457. When you get ready to sell the Tikka I'll give you $300 for it.

Just bought a tikka t1 today. To me in my opinion the cz is a much more refined gun. My stick trigger will not go below 2lbs without slam firing. Bluing is better on the cz, the bore is tighter on the cz. The stock, any of them, are better on the cz. The lop is really short on the tikka factory stock. Bravo is a must

I have the Boyd's at 1 and 16in barrel. With center x it is one if the best shooting guns I own. I have a precision trainer from cz in the manners and my at 1 model out shoots it. I have played with an mtr extensively and my at 1 out shoots it too. My tikka is yet to be fired. I bought it as a squirrel rifle. I suspect it will either shoot very well and get a timney or it will be traded/sold in a day.

Overall I would say that's a pretty fair assessment. CZ457 is well made and has a well made pedigree. I chose my Tikka T1X since I had a T3X. I didn't know much about precision 22LR shooting, and luckily the Tikka T1X was able to be my primary NRL22 gun with a few tweaks, and it had better support than the CZ457 earlier in the year. It looks like KRG and MDT are now making CZ 457 chassis, so that's great.

I hope that Tikka will do some investment into their T1X, and release basically a nice TAC A1 version of it in 2020.

my cz 457 mtr and 3 mags only cost 850ish so depending on what you want and can afford ammo is cheap in 22lr hope you have loads of fun with which ever you choose cant see going wrong with 22 at the cost