• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Varmint Owners (not MTR)

*rim-star*

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2014
What kind of accuracy can one expect from a CZ 457 Varmint (not MTR) I dont see a lot posted about them, I have been looking at one and it seems decent for the price, one thing I did notice was the forearm seems to have a bit of flex, I have owned several CZ's over the years but never a Varmint 457, your input appreciated.

I have the 'At-One' CZ457 Varmint, 24".
Shoots very well. I'm using it for 25 yard benchrest (yeah, I can't afford an Anschutz).
Trigger works fine but I wanted lighter than the stock trigger can give, so a Timney is on the way.
We shoot a 10 'roundel' target card. One shot at each roundel. Maximum score is 101. That's 10 points for a hit in the centre dot, then an extra .1 for every shot that's plumb in the middle (=101 for 10 dead centre shots). Centre 'dot' is 4mm diameter, so the .22 bullet is a tad larger. The roundel is 28mm outside diameter (1.10").
This CZ will happily bang out a 100+ score every time.
Last 3 shoots were 100.4, 100.5, and 100.6.
So I am getting better, but it does show the ability of the CZ457 to place a bullet where you want it.
No bedding work done. Nothing altered except I made up another cheek riser from wood as I found that Boyds plastic riser too harsh and 'pointy' on my soft cheek!
Have just changed scope from a Leupold 45x45 Competition to a 'Big Nikko' (Nikko 10-50x60) so now need to make a wee alteration to that new cheek riser as the new scope sits a tad higher.
Faults? Yes, but minor...and I have read of this on another forum. My rifle had loose action screws when it arrived.
Not wobbly loose, but just not snugged up tight. Slightly firm maybe?
I then found that the front action screw was about 2 threads too long and was bottoming out in the action. That front screw is the shorter of the 2 by the way.
Don't mix them up or you really will have a screw bottoming out (a lot!).
Took all of 2 minutes work with a flat file to sort that.
Now I can happily run the 2 screws in with my torque screwdriver and no bottoming out problems.
My CZ likes RK match (red box), and RWS so far.
I did shoot some Geco (rebranded RWS lower drawer stuff) just for fun. Put 8 shots into a one holer just slightly larger than the .22 bullet diameter. (mind you, it's at 25 yards distance. Your distance and YMMV sort of thing).
I am certainly not disappointed with the CZ. Great wee rifle, well made, and extremely accurate.
Can't wait to see how it goes with the new scope and Timney trigger.
Shot.jpg

I posted this recently on another site

Most recent 50yd groups, testing a new lot against an older, pretty good one. Not cherry picked, but good enough I brought the target home and measured it😀😉😀.

Measured outside to outside, the subtract .223.

Top 6 (4 across top plus 2) average .355. That's pretty usual for SK Std+. There was wind 5-8 switching from 150 to 210. Temp high 30s to low 40s.

Bottom 4 (black dots) average .279. This a very consistent lot of SK Std+, it shoots equally in both mine and a buddies 457

Gun is a 457 Varmint (non MTR) , 24 INCH barrel, was in an AT-One stock but is now in a KRG Bravo (these groups were second outing with the Bravo installed.) Approximately 4500 total rounds fired

Let me know if you have other questions.

Dave

Attachments

• Resize_20220223_201510_0359.jpg
    Resize_20220223_201510_0359.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 758
  • Resize_20220218_182513_3605.jpg
    Resize_20220218_182513_3605.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 743
457 Varmint Precision Chassis. Athlon Cronus. Stock trigger.

These were the last groups at 100 yards that I shot with that rifle. I didn’t measure them, but did snap a pic with a ruler. You can see these were all under 1”.

Attachments

• 94A78E99-FD77-4219-AF67-1B8784EE46B3.jpeg
    94A78E99-FD77-4219-AF67-1B8784EE46B3.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 177
The MTR guarantees sub moa, the other ones don't. Not that the other ones can't be sub moa, but there's just no guarantee so it's kind of a lottery. I've seen a lot of good non MTR ones, and also a good handful of not good ones.

If the varmint is a good deal cheaper, then just get it. Worse case buy an aftermarket barrel later.

Reactions: *rim-star*
heres a 50 yd lot testing target from mine, cz457 pro varmint 16” barrel, stock rifle, super sniper 12x. almost a year old target, but sk std works well and i see little variation lot to lot so far

hth

lear
8584F7FC-8C55-4EE6-8781-F5D2C3F0CB2B.jpeg

CZ expects 2 moa at 50 yards from their sport rimfire rifles.
That would be 1 inch of spread at 50 yards.
Based on aggregate groups from posted targets, that looks to be the results.
It's a mass produced, affordable, small game rifle, right?
Not intended for Benchrest precision paper punching.

I wonder what would happen, if instead of groups being posted as examples,
targets shot for score, where you hit what you aim at, illustrated a rifle's capabilities?
Or possibly, a Grid? :D

Last edited:
Yes, you are right.
But I'm retired, and can't afford an Anschutz (or similar), so I had to buy the best I could afford.
Mine does hit what I aim at. Has always shot 100+ scores since the day I bought it.
But...bit of a change happening. The new scope is too big to clear the barrel and I can't get taller scope rings (in 11mm dovetail).
So I've ordered the 0 MOA CZ scope rail. Should be here this week.
Then I need to buy new Weaver style rings (30mm) to suit the rail/scope. Better selection of them in NZ.
I'm hoping that the higher magnification of the Big Nikko will let me see that little target dot a bit better.
So, I do agree with you...and maybe I got lucky in the barrel/chamber lottery?
Example? As I said...never shot worse than 100+ with the rifle.
That's a '10 ring' every shot, and sometimes I get lucky and hit dead centre for that extra .1 point.
I am not intending to shoot for the NZ Olympic team, but I do want to shoot as well as I can and have fun while doing it.
Yeah, I'd really like that Anschutz though!

I posted this recently on another site

Most recent 50yd groups, testing a new lot against an older, pretty good one. Not cherry picked, but good enough I brought the target home and measured it😀😉😀.

Measured outside to outside, the subtract .223.

Top 6 (4 across top plus 2) average .355. That's pretty usual for SK Std+. There was wind 5-8 switching from 150 to 210. Temp high 30s to low 40s.

Bottom 4 (black dots) average .279. This a very consistent lot of SK Std+, it shoots equally in both mine and a buddies 457

Gun is a 457 Varmint (non MTR) , 24 INCH barrel, was in an AT-One stock but is now in a KRG Bravo (these groups were second outing with the Bravo installed.) Approximately 4500 total rounds fired

Let me know if you have other questions.

Dave
Did you notice an improvement when you changed to the Bravo stock ? The reason I ask is a few posts I have seen on various forums say the stock flex is quite pronounced on the 457 Varmint and causes accuracy problems....thanks for the replies everyone, keep em comin

Did you notice an improvement when you changed to the Bravo stock ? The reason I ask is a few posts I have seen on various forums say the stock flex is quite pronounced on the 457 Varmint and causes accuracy problems....thanks for the replies everyone, keep em comin
I really couldn't see a difference off the bench. Note, mine was an AT- One. It did have some flex, but my real issue was fit (ie. The cheek piece was very wobbly when raised to where I needed it), The Bravo is just much nicer, and way more comfortable for me. Overall just enhances my shooting enjoyment, and that's really what I care about.

Dave

Reactions: lash
Don't forget that CZ now offer the Match chamber in a few CZ457 models.
The 'At-One', LRP, MDT, and MTR.
https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-products-family/cz-457
So buy what model suits your tastes out of them and you will be set.
Otherwise yeah, as said before, buy what you like and put a new barrel in if you don't get the barrel/chamber you want.
Does the At One have the match chamber ? All of the At Ones ? Thanks.

That's the euro website. If you are in the US, then the at one does not have a match chamber.

the US website:
Aw man...that sucks. You US guys get short-changed on that one!
EDIT: I followed that link and CZ say...

"The CZ 457 AT-ONE sport model from the CZ-USA range, which is held in high regard by our customers, is part of our worldwide offer of the CZ 457 series. This specially designed rifle is equipped with a varmint barrel with MATCH chamber and a laminated wood stock from the well-known American brand Boyds, which features an easily adjustable butt pad and cheekpiece. The classic sling stud is complemented by a quick-release loop and a QD socket on each side of the stock".

So they do say Match chamber for the CZ USA model.

Aw man...that sucks. You US guys get short-changed on that one!
EDIT: I followed that link and CZ say...

"The CZ 457 AT-ONE sport model from the CZ-USA range, which is held in high regard by our customers, is part of our worldwide offer of the CZ 457 series. This specially designed rifle is equipped with a varmint barrel with MATCH chamber and a laminated wood stock from the well-known American brand Boyds, which features an easily adjustable butt pad and cheekpiece. The classic sling stud is complemented by a quick-release loop and a QD socket on each side of the stock".

So they do say Match chamber for the CZ USA model.
I stand corrected. Apparently it was just the earlier ones (mine) that don't have the mtr chamber.

I would think they'd call it an MTR if it had the MTR. I don't think match necessarily means MTR.

Then again, this is the wording on their precision varmint trainer MTR.
"The CZ 457 VPT gets a boost in accuracy with the addition of a barrel borrowed from the Match Target Rifle. With a Match chamber and a stiff 16.2″

So...unclear?

The same rifle without "MTR" in the title doesn't say anything about a match chamber.

I'll email CZ.

If the AT-ONE has the MTR I'll buy the next one I can find in stock.

Last edited:
Doing multiple versions with MTR and without seems to be common for CZ as an upsell.

For example they have two versions of the 457 Varmint Precision Chassis, the all black one is non-MTR and does not have "Match" stamped on the barrel, while there is one with a green chassis and orange trigger that has the MTR chamber and Match stamped on barrel. MSRP is only $75 different.

My MTR version specifically has "22 LR Match 1/2-28" stamped on the barrel near the receiver, non-MTR versions I've seen do not have "Match" stamped on them only "22 LR 1/2-28". So it does seem to hold that MTR versions are stamped "Match" on the barrel.

Looking at some photos of AT-One's on gunbroker for those that had pictures you could see, none of them list "Match" on the barrel only "22LR 1/2-28"

Looking at CZ USA's website there's no mention of "match" or MTR on the AT-One or other non MTR indicated versions. Yet the main CZ webpage says the AT-One has the Match chamber. However, the main CZ page also shows the AT-One as "new" so perhaps it's a new verison under the same name.

Even more crazy to me is the standard precision varmint trainer also does not seem to have the MTR chamber or "Match" on the barrel, only the MTR specific version with the adjustable cheek stock does at a higher price. Which is pretty crazy that the $1400 "cheaper" version does not get the MTR chamber.

As a side note, looking at the non-USA CZ page they have a nice looking MDT chassis version now with fluted/comp barrel and 25 MOA pic rail, no idea if it will make it to the states. Same for the LRP Black, new version with fluted/comp barrel and 25 MOA rail. Both are marked as new for 2022 versions, no idea if either will make it here.

Got an email back from CZ. Pretty quick reply on a Monday morning, I sent the email on Saturday.

The imported AT-ONE does NOT have a match chamber. The euro version does have a match chamber.

I would think they'd call it an MTR if it had the MTR. I don't think match necessarily means MTR.

Then again, this is the wording on their precision varmint trainer MTR.
"The CZ 457 VPT gets a boost in accuracy with the addition of a barrel borrowed from the Match Target Rifle. With a Match chamber and a stiff 16.2″

So...unclear?

The same rifle without "MTR" in the title doesn't say anything about a match chamber.

I'll email CZ.

If the AT-ONE has the MTR I'll buy the next one I can find in stock.
MTR stands for Match Target Rifle. Thats how you know if a rifle has the match chamber. The biggest thing i have noticed about mine is it will group tighter with the same ammo as my friends standard varmint model, he has to shoot Eley Tenex to get the same groups i get with standard plus or RWS target rifle. Also I had an extra MTR stock that i sold him and changing to the MTR stock alone made a difference in his rifle. I have since bought a non laser stippled stock that weighs much more than the newer MTRs stocks. The one i bought was from a rifle that was within the first 100 MTRs off the line, it has a nicer fit/finish than the newer ones and is much stiffer

CZ expects 2 moa at 50 yards from their sport rimfire rifles.
That would be 1 inch of spread at 50 yards.
Based on aggregate groups from posted targets, that looks to be the results.
It's a mass produced, affordable, small game rifle, right?

I wonder what would happen, if instead of groups being posted as examples,
targets shot for score, where you hit what you aim at, illustrated a rifle's capabilities?
Or possibly, a Grid? :D
Or possibly head shot squirrels? :LOL: