• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz 457 vs tikka T1x for precision 22

Does the 12T shoot worse inside of 100yards than a 16T?

I've been reading through all the 22lr twist threads and can't find anything conclusive about any of the twists.

Other than the faster twists need a longer barrel, 22"+.
The consensus is that out to about 200, the 16 is competitive with the 12. Past that, it’s had to say what actually impacts point totals because the targets are not small. Inside 100, the 16 is better. The longer barrel is about balance on barricades, and the thought is that longer barrels lower SD little bit, although I’ve never seen any data that says so.

It’s all mental masturbation if you can’t shoot 10@100 under 1 1/2” or 10@200 under 4” from barricades positions. Rimfire PRS and especially bench rest performance usually falls shot because shooter like expensive toys but buy shit ammo and refuse to practice like it matters.

Reactions: Williwaw
The consensus is that out to about 200, the 16 is competitive with the 12. Past that, it’s had to say what actually impacts point totals because the targets are not small. Inside 100, the 16 is better. The longer barrel is about balance on barricades, and the thought is that longer barrels lower SD little bit, although I’ve never seen any data that says so.

It’s all mental masturbation if you can’t shoot 10@100 under 1 1/2” or 10@200 under 4” from barricades positions. Rimfire PRS and especially bench rest performance usually falls shot because shooter like expensive toys but buy shit ammo and refuse to practice like it matters.
Thanks.
It does seem like the safer option inside of 200 is the 16. Think I'll stick with that.

Dont have experience with the CZ, but I do own a t1x, and know at least 3 other guys who do as well.

When running a ballistic calculator on my 16" barreled model, it has always been exact on whatever ammo It has pre-programmed in it. No chrono necessary.

For the money, its a shooter. The mags suck, but dont suck as much as other 22 mags.

We found that the 16" model shoots better than the 20" between all of us, but maybe thats a limited sample size.

Tried it with a KRG Bravo, MDT oryx, a factory stock, and a few others. Cant really go wrong with it. I do like the one I own, but I dont think I'd buy a second one.

If I were to a 22 buy again today, I'd probably look at a bergara, but thats mainly due to my soured experience with beretta's (and tikkas) customer service..also...being on a rem 700 platform guarantees you will have the least amount of issues finding aftermarket or replacement parts.

Dont have experience with the CZ, but I do own a t1x, and know at least 3 other guys who do as well.

When running a ballistic calculator on my 16" barreled model, it has always been exact on whatever ammo It has pre-programmed in it. No chrono necessary.

For the money, its a shooter. The mags suck, but dont suck as much as other 22 mags.

We found that the 16" model shoots better than the 20" between all of us, but maybe thats a limited sample size.

Tried it with a KRG Bravo, MDT oryx, a factory stock, and a few others. Cant really go wrong with it. I do like the one I own, but I dont think I'd buy a second one.

If I were to a 22 buy again today, I'd probably look at a bergara, but thats mainly due to my soured experience with beretta's (and tikkas) customer service..also...being on a rem 700 platform guarantees you will have the least amount of issues finding aftermarket or replacement parts.
I like the T1x magazines.
IMO they are the about perfectly sized for 22lr mags, for form and function.

They are quicker to change than single stack magazines, they seem to slide into the mag well considerably easier than my CZ.
They are also smaller enough that you can fit them in a mag holder on the side of the rifle.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I recently had to make this choice and I went with the Tikka because I had a friend who had one that shot very well. I have had it out once so far but once zeroed the first two three shot groups I shot with it at 50 yards with good ammo were just over .2". I'm recovering from knee surgery right now so I haven't had it out to stretch it out further on paper but I was able to get a 12" square that is set up at my range at 500 meters and once I found the elevation I was able to hit every time. Mine is the 16" barrel or whatever that is in millimeters and I'm waiting on my Grayboe chassis from black Friday to finish it out. The rifle right now is box stock minus a 40 moa MDT rail and a Burris XTR II 3-15x50 in EGW rings.

If I believed the CZ (or a Savage or Ruger) would shoot like this with the factory barrel, I would have considered buying them, but given the performance of the factory Tikka barrel, that made the decision for me and my particular example appears to be as good as my friend's.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I tried to send them an email about this but couldn't find an contact info.
A heavy 22-24" barrel would be excellent, even if it only came in the UPR stock I could live with that.

Surely you know someone who works there?
Finland only has a few dozen people living there doesn't
[email protected]

If you like rimfire rifles, they you will like both the Tikka and the CZ. How much tinkering you will need to do depends on the individual specimen you end up with, your intended use, and your individual requirements. I have no 457, but I have a 452 and a Brno Model 1 custom. I also have a T1x 22lr and a T1x 17HMR. I have a lot of other rimfire rifles as well. They are all tremendously enjoyable to tinker with and shoot. If you do not like to tinker, then do not buy any rimfire rifle, period.
The hits on the big steel plate were made at 421 yards wit the Brno Model 1 custom pictured. The rifle is a 17/22 Swager -- it chambers a 22lr cartridge. Upon firing, it swages the bullet down to .172 and spins it in a 1:8 bore. It will stabilize bullets as heavy as 36 grains. The hits pictured were achieved with Remington Yellowjackets. It is a varminting rifle that predates the 17HMR and 17M2 and is quite handy on ground squirrels and such out to about 125 yards. Like I said, rimfires are fun.
IMG_4667.jpg
IMG_5102.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4776.jpg
17hmr smile.jpeg

Last edited:
The rifle is a 17/22 Swager
Well hey, that’s a new one to me. Pretty cool. Does the swaging make it more accurate than a regular 22LR? I’ve never even attempted 400yd (or even 200yd) shots for accuracy with a 22LR beyond what I call “artillery plinking”.

I’m kinda surprised that 17/22 swaging doesn’t blow up the action…in addition to the conformable lead bullet, the additional reason that it doesn’t blow must also be the low power of rimfire? Help me out.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Well hey, that’s a new one to me. Pretty cool. Does the swaging make it more accurate than a regular 22LR? I’ve never even attempted 400yd (or even 200yd) shots for accuracy with a 22LR beyond what I call “artillery plinking”.

I’m kinda surprised that 17/22 swaging doesn’t blow up the action…in addition to the conformable lead bullet, the additional reason that it doesn’t blow must also be the low power of rimfire? Help me out.
It is not more accurate than a 22lr. First, the gun cannot stabilize a 40-grain bullet so you cannot shoot match ammunition. It is designed for hyper velocity and high velocity hollowpoints as it is a hunting rifle. Consequently, the variation in that class of ammunition applies. That said, the rifle will shot into 1.5 inches at 100 yards so it is plenty accurate for grounds squirrels and tree squirrels, etc. Sometimes it will shoot MOA at that distance.
There are no pressure issues. There simply isn't enough gun powder in a 22lr case to cause any issues. The soft lead bullets swage down easily. People have built them on 10/22 actions without problem. Connecticut Precision Chambering built a fair number of them in the late 1990. CPC chambered my PacNor barrel. They also grow in length to half an inch, which greatly increases there ballistic coefficient and thus retained velocity and energy down range compared to the same round out of a .223 bore. The 1:8 twist almost doubles the rotational velocity so the stability is good and upset upon impact is more violent than from a .223 barrel. I had the rifle out a few weeks ago shooting small lemons at 170 yards with ease. It is a very fun rifle.
Here is a better pic.
IMG_5015.jpg

Reactions: carbonbased