• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

So I mentioned that I had bedded my 457 MTR and it has improved my groups quite nicely. I had written this up in several emails to a friend of mine as I was going though process so he could do it. I thought I would put this out in case somebody thought they wanted to do it. I have done lots of Remington 700's over the last 10 years and I have to say they are a lot easier. Just up front, I didn't get the rear pillar long enough so it was not floating in a sheath of epoxy but it was easy to fix.

I guess from start to finish it might take a week from start to finish. I didn't have the pillars when I started (lost in the mail)so it drug out for a few weeks but it was so cold I wasn't wanting to shoot rimfire.

If I can answer any questions feel free to ask

Enjoy
Nice writeup! You might share that over at the RFC CZ forum as well.

Reactions: lash
I thought you'll might be interested in what my MTR that I had bedded and shown you how to do it in post #2950. I shoot this competition when I can. Mar 2 was the first one I could shoot this year so instead of using my 40X or Anschutz 54 I decided to shoot my completed CZ 457 that was showing great promise at 100 yards. This competition is shot on the rimfire Palma targets. The targets are scaled for the Palma target at 800, 900 and 1000 yards and for a 22 caliber bullet rather than a 308. The 10 ring is like 1.9 for 800, 1.7 for 900 and 1.55 for 1000. I normally shoot this prone but I broke my kneecap in January so I cannot kneel for 3 months and therefore can go prone. So we have a second relay that are "old" guys that can't or won't go prone. It is shot off of a bench. My set up is a Sinclair front machine rest with a protector rear bag. I was shooting Center-X (speed 329). Right next to me was a friend who is an awesome gunsmith with his new Rim-X that he built himself.

So the competition started and I shot a 150-12X on the first bull. So did the Rim-X. The next bull I shot a 150-13X and so did the Rim-X. AT this point we were the 2 leaders so one of us was going to take first and the other second unless we really blew it. So on the third target (smallest) I shot 150-14X and the Rim-X shot 150-10X And what was really weird was that his 5 10's were on the outside of the 10 ring touching in a circle!!

So my bedded 457 with a Jard trigger and a shimmed bolt to set a tighter headspace beat out a rifle that for sure was 2X in cost. But when I went back and did a comparison of my previous targets, the 40X has never delivered a clean on all 3 targets but with the best of 36X and my Anschutz 54 has delivered a full clean but with a 30 X count and 449 with a 35 X count. I would also point out that my 40X and 54 are in full benchrest stocks.

This now is the the best rifle in my stable and the lowest cost I might add.

So here are the 3 targets thaat were shot yesterday. The X ring on target 3 is .8 inches for reference.

David
Scan 4.jpeg

Nice shooting! When you shoot a Vudoo or Rim-X, winning is somewhat expected. When you shoot a CZ, your an underdog. Consequently, there is something extra sweet about kicking but against top end rifles with a CZ. I own a really nice custom Vudoo but still enjoy my CZ's regularly. Largely for just that reason. ;)

I thought you'll might be interested in what my MTR that I had bedded and shown you how to do it in post #2950. I shoot this competition when I can. Mar 2 was the first one I could shoot this year so instead of using my 40X or Anschutz 54 I decided to shoot my completed CZ 457 that was showing great promise at 100 yards. This competition is shot on the rimfire Palma targets. The targets are scaled for the Palma target at 800, 900 and 1000 yards and for a 22 caliber bullet rather than a 308. The 10 ring is like 1.9 for 800, 1.7 for 900 and 1.55 for 1000. I normally shoot this prone but I broke my kneecap in January so I cannot kneel for 3 months and therefore can go prone. So we have a second relay that are "old" guys that can't or won't go prone. It is shot off of a bench. My set up is a Sinclair front machine rest with a protector rear bag. I was shooting Center-X (speed 329). Right next to me was a friend who is an awesome gunsmith with his new Rim-X that he built himself.

So the competition started and I shot a 150-12X on the first bull. So did the Rim-X. The next bull I shot a 150-13X and so did the Rim-X. AT this point we were the 2 leaders so one of us was going to take first and the other second unless we really blew it. So on the third target (smallest) I shot 150-14X and the Rim-X shot 150-10X And what was really weird was that his 5 10's were on the outside of the 10 ring touching in a circle!!

So my bedded 457 with a Jard trigger and a shimmed bolt to set a tighter headspace beat out a rifle that for sure was 2X in cost. But when I went back and did a comparison of my previous targets, the 40X has never delivered a clean on all 3 targets but with the best of 36X and my Anschutz 54 has delivered a full clean but with a 30 X count and 449 with a 35 X count. I would also point out that my 40X and 54 are in full benchrest stocks.

This now is the the best rifle in my stable and the lowest cost I might add.

So here are the 3 targets thaat were shot yesterday. The X ring on target 3 is .8 inches for reference.

DavidView attachment 8363538
Great shooting! I've been humbled quite a few times by how difficult mini palma shooting can be.

What class did you shoot in and what was your front/rear support?

Thanks for sharing.

Great shooting! I've been humbled quite a few times by how difficult mini palma shooting can be.

What class did you shoot in and what was your front/rear support?

Thanks for sharing.

My front rest is a Sinclair benchrest, the 750 version in today’s dollars. My rear rest is a low profile protector with 3/8 channel and the silver slick stuff on the ears. I then carry with me a 1 1/2 inch plywood platform and 2 1/2 leather spacers to adjust the protector to get the right height for everything. This time i had to add the plywood alone and i was good to go.

If i could have gone prone like i normally do i would have been Fopen because I wasn’t using a bipod. I cracked my knee in January so no kneeling for 3 months. Phooey

Edit: I am also running a 3 inch plate that I used to use in an accessory rail. Makes it very stable.

HTH

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Wolf
With all the mandatory reloads in NRL22 lately, I fired up the 3D printer and am testing a new mag coupler I designed. Working on getting quotes from a local machine shop for an aluminum version, but I'm not sure how much demand there would be for a group run of them... Thoughts?

CzCouplerAL.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

With all the mandatory reloads in NRL22 lately, I fired up the 3D printer and am testing a new mag coupler I designed. Working on getting quotes from a local machine shop for an aluminum version, but I'm not sure how much demand there would be for a group run of them... Thoughts?

View attachment 8368093

View attachment 8368092
I like the idea, but have to ask if you think the aluminum version is necessary or wouldn’t the printed version work just fine?

Serious question.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Have you checked with the NRL22 head people to make sure this qualifies as a reload?
I cannot imagine why it would not.

One still has to hit the mag latch, remove mag, then insert full mag. Exact same motions as those from guys that have mag holsters on their stock/chassis/receiver.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Have you checked with the NRL22 head people to make sure this qualifies as a reload?
There's nothing in the rules, and the stages last month just said "magazine change", so this was not prohibited by MD's at my local match. It is two magazines... But that's still a good point. I'll reach out to them.

I like the idea, but have to ask if you think the aluminum version is necessary or wouldn’t the printed version work just fine?

Serious question.
I think 3D printed is just fine, but I can just make another or carry a spare, and I understand many folks prefer aluminum/metal. It would provide a bit more reliability if the mags are mishandled.

Last edited:
I love my 457. Started out as an American, then went down the hole...Got a Bartlein, Boyds Varmint, 8 oz trigger, Area 419 30 MOA base, warne rings, 5-25x Venom. 500 yard hits on a 20" gong with SK long range. It shoots 1 ragged hole at 50 with everything you put in it, and consistent 1" 5 shot groups at 100 with various SK and CCI SV. One of my favorite rifles by far. No loading and no components and cheap ammo is the best part.
20221031_095411.jpg

20220820_140517.jpg
20220622_102126.jpg

Snapchat-887438018.jpg

Based on the success of @padom and others with straight taper green mountain barrels spun up by manzella & keystone using the eachus chamber on rim-x builds, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this combination a 457. Seems like they hammer and could provide a good "budget" option.

I did some searching and couldn't come up with much.

Reactions: juliang and lash
Did some 50 yard shooting today with the CZ457/Bartlein and 3 types of SK ammo. Standard yellow box, Rifle Match red box, and Long Range Match. Pretty typical of what this does every time. Not the greatest by any means, but decent enough for budget match ammo anyway.

20240319_181527.jpg