• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CZ 550 action

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
I just got a new Brownelles catalog and see they carry CZ 550 actions.
In the description they compare them to the Mauser 98 having a third locking lug, a pre-64 Winchester 70 claw extractor, what appears to be a built in recoil lug, among other qualities.....

I'm curious if any of you have used or built on this action and if you could weigh in on the pros and cons?

Another sidenote it appears this action cannot be had in a short action?
30-06 seems to be the smallest available and can be had for $650.00 including the hinged floorplate and fully adjustable trigger. Others being the .375 mag and .416 mag running at $853.58.

Thanks

Dantrom

Re: CZ 550 action

These actions are what the BRNO 600/601/602 actions morphed into. Darn fine hunting rifle actions. Double square brige with integral dovetails. The extractor is MAUSER- Winchester copied it.

Dad has a 601 in .243 and it has a neat pop up peep sight that comes up out of the rear bridge with the press of a button when the scope comes off. They thought of that too before all the cool kids at barfcom had to have have BUIS's and God know what all other crap festooning their rifles.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have a very positive opinion of the these actions.

To me it sounds like these may be a nice alternative to a Remington action?

Just a note on the triggers. If they are the same that come on the factory CZ550 rifles it is a very good trigger with a set feature that is also very good. I would just watch out for dirt and grime getting in there if used as a field rifle.

Thanks for the heads up jbell. Isnt the same said about Jewell triggers?

Are they similar in any way?

I was considering giving one of these actions a try for my first build I try myself.
It's primary use will be target with as much hunting I can get in with it.
Caliber still undecided but I saw a hide member built a 762x39 that runs 308 ammo. Really think that would make an awesome all around rifle and down the road can always be rechambered to whatever...

I've got one in 375 H&H, I like it a lot. Many of the African PH's keep them as loaner rifles, very durable and reliable.

The set trigger feature is great too, great for sighting in a big bore - use lots of sand bags!!! Actually not so bad, you can get used to it. Friend of mine just used his to shoot a lion, 30 yards and charging!

I have a 550 in .308 (the varmint with laminated stock) that is one of my long-range rifles, and I like it. I haven't run it very hard, but it has always worked well.

The dovetail scope mount can cause some difficulties if you want to put an inclined base on it, and it will limit your ring options. I took a Nightforce blank and drilled and tapped the flats on top of the receiver so I have Picatinny rings on mine.

I had one in 30-06 it was accurate and very reliable, I know that George Gardner was using those actions to build 338 LM in the early days.
I really love it and the fact the CZ-550 are very popular in the harsh conditions of Africa sure means something.

Please excuse this question...you stated that a 7.62x39 will run .308 ammo. Is that your understanding and the reason that you are considering this rifle? If so ALL your dimensions are wrong. You can use .308 diameter bullets but the rifling is for .311. You might get by with the smaller case head in the 7.62x39 in a bolt faced for .308 Winchester...but the case itself for the .308W is nowhere near the Russian. Look up (Google) SAAMI specifications for both cartridges and compare...then come back with your questions. JMHO

I am planning to use lapua brass and resize to a 308 dimension and will run a 308 barrel/bore.
I read another hide member built a rifle using this equation. I would love to try it and don't mind if the action is a long action.
I'll find the post and link it here if you are interested in better understanding my final product.

Edit post:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...457#Post2715457

Look at the CZ/BRNO 527 for your 7.62x39 build. A true mini Mauser with detachable mag and set trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteDingo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.30-06 case head is .473", 7.62x39 is .447"

You're going to have way too much slop on the bolt face.
</div></div>

Sorry I must have missed your post!

Thank you, I guess I am going to have keep looking..

Hello everybody,
some months ago I purchase a CZ 550 Medium in .300 Win Mag for a very good price.
The old owner chambered and shot a 30.06 cartrige with that rifle ( don't ask me why, I don't know ) so the floorplate and the magazine are going lost.
Other than that the rifle is pretty new, it has shot less than 50 rounds in his life , before that unlucky 30.06
I'm trying to fully customize this rifle to have it more "tactical" and the most accurate as I can.
So I ordered a new Border barrel (blank) and I will order a McMillan A5 stock as soon as my wife wil let my wallet come back to me...The trigger is a Timney trigger.
I know, CZ trigger is a very good part, but I prefer to have something more simple and reliable.

For the chambering I need to go to an expert gunsmith , but I would like to have a clear view of all the process ( that's why I ordered a chamber reamer by myself ) and if it is possible I would like to make some of the truing operation for the action by myself.
Unfortunately I'm not a gunsmith , so I need your help to choose the best products to have an optimal results.
I know that there are a lot of website that sells good quality staff for these operation, like the Inner Receiver Bolt Face Truing Tool or ohter items.
Also I would like to add another recoil lug to the action, what do you think about it' it is a good or a bad idea?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.