• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 557 Varmint Rifle

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    There seems to be very little info about this rifle on the internet. Seems like it would be a good target rifle or fixed position hunting rifle.
    Does anyone have any experience behind one of these? What kind of accuracy can one expect out of the 308 version?
    Thanks for any info in advance.

No personal experience with this rifle but I can make one observation just by looking at the pic on the CZ website. Check out the high comb on that stock. That's not a folder and it's not an adjustable cheek-piece, so how are you supposed to run a cleaning rod down the bore? Probably shoots fine but not particularly useful since you can never do any maintenance on it.

Last edited:
    No personal experience with this rifle but I can make one observation just by looking at the pic on the CZ website. Check out the high comb on that stock. That's not a folder and it's not an adjustable cheek-piece, so how are you supposed to run a cleaning rod down the bore? Probably shoots fine but not particularly useful since you can never do any maintenance on it.

What kind a maintenance are you talking about?
    With all of my bolt guns I've always just scrubbed and swabbed the bore/chamber & finger cleaned the action and bolt. Have I been doing something wrong throughout my life?

I've been looking at the CZ 557 Varmint since finding a picture of it on their website. I have no use or desire for a 308, and the 243 version has only a 1-9tw bbl, but I'm still wanting to get a closer look at one of them. If the comb is too high to allow the use of a rod guide for bore cleaning, then I'd hope it has enough meat in it to allow for the conversion to adjustable cheekpiece with something like KMW hardware.

What kind a maintenance are you talking about?
    With all of my bolt guns I've always just scrubbed and swabbed the bore/chamber & finger cleaned the action and bolt. Have I been doing something wrong throughout my life?

The comb is higher than the axis of the bore, so how are you going to get a cleaning rod past the comb? Or are you going to clean from the muzzle? Or do a half-assed job using a bore-snake? Everybody's got the idea to have the stock cut for an adjustable cheek-piece but are you wanting to that?

Last edited:
    Yeah, that one image with huge stock just doesn't look right, lol.

The comb is higher than the axis of the bore, so how are you going to get a cleaning rod past the comb? Or are you going to clean from the muzzle? Or do a half-assed job using a bore-snake? Everybody's got the idea to have the stock cut for an adjustable cheek-piece but are you wanting to that?

Is cleaning from the muzzle side really that bad? How about if you're using a synthetic rod? I normally clean from the rear if I can, but I've never damaged the crown of any rifle that I've had to clean from the muzzle either.

Having the stock cut is an option worth considering to me, if the rifle is worth it otherwise.

Looks like a finely crafted rifle from what I've seen. What I haven't seen are vary many shooting results. That's really what I'm looking for.
    Perhaps someone who owns one will chime in and let us know how they prefer to clean theirs, and how accuracy has been with what loads.

Have any of you seen this rifle in person? CZ has been making rifles for longer than most here have been alive. I doubt they would be stupid enough to stock a rifle in a way that you can't get the bolt out of it. And if you can get the bolt out you can put a rod guide in and run a cleaning rod through.

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.

Reactions: Jed357
    Go look at photos of real rifles on gunbroker. The comb is nowhere near as high as it appears on the CZ website pics and you can definitely push a cleaning rod straight in from the breech.

umm... Appears to be a non-issue with the comb, but even if it were...

ETA: was looking at the 550, not the 557. I don't think you're getting a cleaning rod in from the rear with it assembled. Not a big deal, take it out of the stock.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.homedepot.com\/catalog\/productImages\/1000\/16\/16b32f0c-468a-4776-bd29-2ed29718bc0a_1000.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Don't use wedge tip screwdrivers on your rifles. Those are for wood screws and such.

I know this is an old thread but I just happened to come across it. I have the CZ 557 Varmint in 308. I thought those that were concerned about the comb height might like to know you can easily access the breech for maintenance.

Attachments

• photo83605.jpg
      photo83605.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 201
    I know this is an old thread but I just happened to come across it. I have the CZ 557 Varmint in 308. I thought those that were concerned about the comb height might like to know you can easily access the breech for maintenance.

Talking shit about rifles they've never seen seems to be par for the course for this place.

Even with your first hand knowledge I bet there will be some who will keep repeating the nonsense.

BTW, how about a range report on that beauty?

I guess you were wrong

I own a 557 Varmint .308Win. Laminated stock..the cleaning rod fits from the but end with no problem. The comb is high, but extremely well designed, and manufactured. I mounted a Sig tango6 3-18x 44mm with a 34mm tube and Hellfire reticle in MOA as I'm an old man and was trained in that when Moses was a gunny
    I'm extremely happy with both rifle, and scope. Well worth the money spent.

I just recently acquired the 557 Varmint with walnut stock in 308 and this one has plenty of clearance to insert cleaning rod from the rear, very impress with quality of finish. At another store (month ago) I held the identical model; however, that particular one had the higher comb and impossible to insert cleaning rod from the rear, it had a picatinny rail already installed (mine didn't).
    On my purchase, I took the stock off the other day to view trigger mechanism and what was odd to me was that the front action screw location had no aluminum pillar but the rear did. Was wondering if anyone noticed the same with theirs ? Usually, on other rifles, I've seen pillars in both locations or none altogether, odd to see only one. In my mind this would give a uneven compression between the front and rear action screws.
    IMAG0259_1.jpg

Last edited:
    Well, they are discontinued now. But I bought one ,was looking for a 308 in bolt and seen this one in the rack. Took it to the range with some 147 fmj army surplus and some 168 grain a max reloads that shoot well out of my ar 10. Put a 6x24x50 diamondback by vortex tactical. 3 shots I was on . Put 5 of the fmj in one hole at 100 yards . A max 5 in a 1 inch group. Have not been out since.
    20211222_143334.jpg

Reactions: Bakwa