• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ is discontinuing the 452 next year.

Starvin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2002
Shreveport, LA
And replacing it with a new model.

This news is about a month old but I ran a search and didn't see anything about it on here.

From Rimfire Central:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a long chat with CZ-USA today. The CZ 452 is being discontinued and will be replaced by the 455. The first 455 will be introduced in January. The first introduction will be with the new 455 American. The new 455 will feature standardized dimensions across all rimfire model lines of the 455 series read .22 LR and Magnums. Manufacturing tolerances will be better than even the current series of CZ’s. The action of the 455 will feature two action screws. One in the front of the receiver and one in the tang. The floating dovetail stanchion used on the current Americans will replaced by the new tang action screw. The new action screw design in the prototypes featured allen head type screws. The barrel lug with screw will be history (thank god!)

The excellent hand lapped barrels will still be utilized. Some consideration is being made to make swapping barrels and calibers easier. CZ was vague on the specifics of this change.

The trigger is still a single lever trigger but varies in appearances from the present trigger.

There will be a 456 out later to replace the present 453.
</div></div>

I was a bit nervous when I read the headline but it looks like it'll just be consolidating and standardizing some features which should be a good thing. I was worried they'd be going cheap.

Re: CZ is discontinuing the 452 next year.

But what nobody knows yet is... will this be a good thing or a bad thing?

The CZ-452 American (the only one being replaced at first) is a great bolt action rimfire rifle but it is not without its flaws. The optimist in me says that CZ has a great track record and from what little has been announced about the replacement model, it sounds like all they are doing is improving on the old model. The pessimist in me says, when was the last time in recent history a gun company changed a popular model for the better?

Well hopefully this will be the year? Both Glock and CZ have announced big changes to their very popular models. I'm really hope both companies make the changes that will improve their product without losing any of the aspects that made those products great in the first place?

Well said cgv69. Usually popular models are only changed to decrease manufacturing costs, but my fingers are crossed.

Sounds like I'm glad that I'm too broke to buy one this year. I'll get an even better one next year!

Hopefully they will take the same magazines.

Standardizing the dimensions of all the 455 series rifles will be a big boost to the aftermarket parts market. Maybe we'll finally see some more stock options.

I really hope we see the end of stamped trigger guards in my lifetime, they really cheapen the product. Could do with drilled and tapped receiver as well so there are more choices for mounting optics.

I hope they dont take a step back, I sing there praises every chance I get both the rimfires and centerfires.

You would think CZ heard that motto "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I love my 453 and the way it shoots.

One thing that can be clarified here, is that the barrel interchange sytsem will make changing barrels on this new action a breeze. Not an intended switch barrel design, but actually quite similar to the Ruger 10/22 in some respects where it goes on and off easily, and is captivated securely in a "similar fashion". I thought for certain they would do a pin like so many others,and like they have already done in the past (Original HM2's were done that way), but that is not the case. As far as quit making 452's, that is kinda a grey area where there will be a transition over time, I don't think the 452's will just come to an abrupt end as one might think, but rather phased out. I'm game to have a bolt action I can easily change the barrel on like the Ruger 77/22, it opens the options up far and wide, and I like that idea.:) We will have one as early as they will allow usto abscound with an example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One thing that can be clarified here, is that the barrel interchange sytsem will make changing barrels on this new action a breeze. Not an intended switch barrel design, but actually quite similar to the Ruger 10/22 in some respects where it goes on and off easily, and is captivated securely in a "similar fashion". I thought for certain they would do a pin like so many others,and like they have already done in the past (Original HM2's were done that way), but that is not the case. As far as quit making 452's, that is kinda a grey area where there will be a transition over time, I don't think the 452's will just come to an abrupt end as one might think, but rather phased out. I'm game to have a bolt action I can easily change the barrel on like the Ruger 77/22, it opens the options up far and wide, and I like that idea.:) We will have one as early as they will allow usto abscound with an example. </div></div>
Can I ask how you know what the new barrel attachment method will be? Is this information solid or speculation? Do you have any other sold details you can share?

In general I think the idea of an easily replaceable barrel but it the execution that determines how good of an idea it ends up being. I'm not real crazy about Ruger's method but Sako's version seems to work really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In general I think the idea of an easily replaceable barrel but it the execution that determines how good of an idea it ends up being. I'm not real crazy about Ruger's method but Sako's version seems to work really well. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a huge fan of Ruger's v-block system. I am thinking of picking up a CZ452 Varmint before the end of the year, but I may wait for details on the 455.

I have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and it's spectacular. The bolt took some working in before it would be smooth but it's an absolute tack-driver. My only complaint is the cheezy plastic magazine and its shape - it ruins my off-hand shooting as it gets in the way sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One thing that can be clarified here, is that the barrel interchange sytsem will make changing barrels on this new action a breeze. Not an intended switch barrel design, but actually quite similar to the Ruger 10/22 in some respects where it goes on and off easily, and is captivated securely in a "similar fashion". I thought for certain they would do a pin like so many others,and like they have already done in the past (Original HM2's were done that way), but that is not the case. As far as quit making 452's, that is kinda a grey area where there will be a transition over time, I don't think the 452's will just come to an abrupt end as one might think, but rather phased out. I'm game to have a bolt action I can easily change the barrel on like the Ruger 77/22, it opens the options up far and wide, and I like that idea.:) We will have one as early as they will allow usto abscound with an example. </div></div>
Can I ask how you know what the new barrel attachment method will be? Is this information solid or speculation? Do you have any other sold details you can share?

In general I think the idea of an easily replaceable barrel but it the execution that determines how good of an idea it ends up being. I'm not real crazy about Ruger's method but Sako's version seems to work really well. </div></div>

We know because we have spoken directly to people we know at CZ-USA. I'm not too concerned about the barrel attachment system, more than several of your popular rimfires use just pins to hold the barrel on, and they are sometimes held in high regard by enthusiasts (Anschutz, Savage). Specifics were left somewhat to interpretation in conversation, but it was clear that it is not a simple pinned barrel, nor is it threaded semi-permanently, but rather an attachment system that is somewhat similar to the 10/22, that is as far as I can honestly go on the subject, we are left waiting until January just like everyone else....... I am certain that CZ has tested their new model before putting it up for sale, heck it has probably already been available in Europe for 3 years now.:).......I had to wait almost 3 years for my P06 CZ Pistol because of their extensive testing long term before they would release the new product.
I look for the new offering to be a forward step, except I'll bet they still have that cheesy stamped guard, but then so does Anschutz.......If ever there was going to be a new Remington 5mm option, this would be a step in the right direction= I think, but that is just me personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look for the new offering to be a forward step, ... </div></div>
I (and I'm sure everybody else) hope you're right! Thanks for the followup