• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz or 10/22

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
I'm looking at getting a .22
I'm stuck between a cz varmint or a heavy barrel 10/22.
What one has a better chance fron the factory of being accurate? ?

I know it's bolt vs semi.

Now I have Mr. Green's post tempting me....

In my experience the CZ has the better odds of being a shooter out of the box. Both will need some trigger work, but both my CZ's are much more accurate than my 10/22. In fact my 10/22 became a 5" barrel folding stock suppressed sbr

I would say the CZ has a better chance of being accurate than the 10/22, but the 10/22 has so many options to make it accurate and fun to shoot.

I have both a CZ and 10/22. CZ is more accuate, but the 10/22 is plenty accurate. We're talking about quarter sized groups vs dime sized groups. 10/22 is easier to customize and modify, so many aftermarket parts are out there. Really depends on what you're using it for?

What do you like more...a bolt action or semi auto? Depending on that you will have your answer

a cheap Marlin semi-auto has a better chance of being more accurate than a 10-22

Well, I don't know if that's absolutely correct. But to get match-level accuracy from the 10/22, you'll need at least a trigger job, a really good barrel (mine's a Kidd) and the rifle bedded in a better stock. In other words, you can get the 10/22 to be very accurate; it just takes more money.

So, out of the box, I think I'd give the nod to the CZ.

Richard

I like to shoot semi auto more than I do bolt. Its so much work to cycle a bolt. I know, I know. But its the truth. I like fast follow up shots. For me, upgrading my 10/22 with a Kidd receiver, Green MT (then KIDD) barrel, two stage trigger, stock, polishing and tuning was a fun process. I enjoyed it. I spent more than I needed to but I had a good time and "made" a 10/22 stock rifle when I was done. The 10/22 is arguably one of the most well supported when it comes to aftermarket. It is accurate. I can easily get .4 full consistent groups with SK ammo.

However.... the 455 has some pretty good support as well lately.

My cz from factory... shoots nearly as well as my 10/22. Nature of the beast. Semi Auto vs Bolt.

Factory I could get .5 full consistent groups with Sk ammo Factory. Im not a good shooter. Have to practice more..

Not sure if you plan to suppress but also think about that in your consideration. A bolt action will always sound quieter due to no bolt cycling.

If you go the 10/22 route start with a MOA stainless receiver which uses a threaded in barrel and has a rear tang for an action screw.

Just purchased a 1022 target for my daughter.
it seems to be fairly accurate with wolf target.
Kinda heavy for her but knew if I upgraded the barrel I'd need a .920 barrel channel.
have a cz 452 in 17hmr, accurate but different animal.
Either will get you there just how and how much.

R

Check out Kidd for 10/22 parts. My Kidd 10/22 will compete with my VPT as long as I use good ammo like Wolf Match Target.