• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I’m eyeing a SP01 Tactical (suppressor ready version) my shop has. It’s a sweet pistol. But, the Shadow 2 also has my eye, but it’s a bit more coin.

Anyone done a side by side between these two?

Reactions: stefan73
    Yup. Different guns for different purposes.

The Shadow 2 was originally made to push the limits for USPSA Production Class. It’s nose heavy with the full dust cover but that really helps with putting 2 in the A zone quickly. The shape of the back strap and the grip make it easy to get a high grip and feel like your hand is in the gun. Get some parts from Cajun Gun Works and it’s a dream to shoot.

The SP01 tactical is a decocker. The decocker versions are harder to get as light and crisp as of a trigger as the safety models. The grip/frame is shaped slightly differently. Some people say the SP01 shape is better for people with smaller hands because it’s thinner. I don’t find that true

Is this for carry, range, or competition?

You could get a Shadow 1 which would be cheaper than the Shadow 2. It kind of splits the difference since it’s on the SP01 frame.

Also, the Shadow versions don’t have firing pin blocks.

So for carry, I’d go with the SP01 Tactical. But for range fun or competition, I’d get either the shadow 1 or 2.

Like Dog said, different tools for different purposes.

The Shadow series are great special purpose range guns. I have a Shadow 2 Orange and the wife has a urban grey Shadow 2. I have one for accuracy and fast recovery, she has one because she is very recoil adverse and the ergonomics are perfect for her. They are HEAVY, neither of us would every use them for carry.

When I am introducing someone to shooting handguns, these are the pistols I step up to after .22 suppressed and unsuppressed.

For carry I go with the P-01, lighter, compact, decocker, and same ergonomics.

The SP-01 Tactical is a great full-size, does most things well pistol. If I could only have only one CZ, it would be an SP-01 non-decock (for trigger tuning reasons).

Great advice so far. You could also split the difference and get an accu shadow from cz customs.

Reactions: Yondering
    I love my CZs......
    You cannot go wrong with either Cajun Gun Works or CZ Customs when it comes to making these joyful to shoot.

I'd personally go with the SP-01 Tactical.
    Order the trigger package you prefer from Cajun and make it sing.

I had a both that you mentioned. The ShadowII is a great range/home defense gun, great ergonomics, wonderful trigger, but I consider it to be to heavy to carry, not to mention the ShadowII will not fit in a standard SP01 holster.
    The SP01 to me just feels like it’s a little bit more robust, night sights vs the fiber optic sights of the ShadowII, very similar ergos, and can be tuned to shoot like the ShadowII.
    For me the sweet spot was the SP01 AccuShadow. All the great characteristics of the ShadowII while still maintaining the weight and feel of the traditional SP01.

I’m eyeing a SP01 Tactical (suppressor ready version) my shop has. It’s a sweet pistol. But, the Shadow 2 also has my eye, but it’s a bit more coin.

I just picked up a CZ Custom Shadow 2 Accu. Haven't fired it but can't wait.

Both are solid performers and you can hot rod with add ons from Cajun Gunworks or send it of to CZ Customs.

To have an idea which would be better for you people would want to know what you plan to use them for?

Reactions: MadDuner
    OP, you have chosen a very dangerous path to go down. CZ pistols are like Doritos, you can't have just one. Go check out the CZ forums and see how addictive it is.

OP, you have chosen a very dangerous path to go down. CZ pistols are like Doritos, you can't have just one. Go check out the CZ forums and see how addictive it is.

This is true
    My first was an SP01 Tactical
    That turned in to a P01, 75d Compact, 75BD, 75, TSO, 2 Shadow 2's, SP01 Shadow, and a CZC Shadow Target.
    Many others have come and gone over the years.

OMG..... Nothing you can say will ever stop or slow the addiction once somebody ventures into CZ land.

I heard about the Shadow II, held one and ordered one for myself. Nicest pistol I’ve ever tried. For range or comps I think you would have to spend a lot more to get a nicer pistol. SPO1 would be better for carry though. Now if Palmetto State Armory could just get it shipped I be shooting. Can’t recommend PSA. 😡

My 75 collection now consists of a 75Compact PCR , 75P01, 75 SP01, 75 SP01 AccuShadow, 75Shadow SAO, 75 Shadow TACII, 75TSB, 75CzechMate, and a A01LD. To say they are addicting is saying it lightly

Ok, so this will be a range toy/HD gun, maybe some CC. I already have two P07s (one threaded barrel, the other non-threaded), as well as a DW 1911. I’ve already drunk the cool aid lol.

I lean more towards the SP01 Tactical threaded, based on I can run my can on it. It’s definitely going to get the trigger work by Cajun.

I have an SP-01 non decocker that’s been worked over with Cajun parts and it’s a dream to shoot. It’s like cheating. It’s not quite a nice 2011 but at a fraction of the price it’s impossible to beat. Can’t recommend the Cajun Gun Works trigger and hammer package enough.

For HD then definitely the SP01 Tactical. Since you run your can and also attach a light.

But for range toy, I’d take the S2 every single time

Clearly the only answer is to get both

SP01 is nice, but consider if you need a rail and lower weight. I do not need it and carry a CZ 75D Compact PCR 27.5oz, versus 28.1 oz for the P-01 and 40.5oz for the SP-01

SP01 is nice, but consider if you need a rail and lower weight. I do not need it and carry a CZ 75D Compact PCR 27.5oz, versus 28.1 oz for the P-01 and 40.5oz for the SP-01
    Hang a light on the SP-01 and it acts like a compensator for quick follow-up shots in the same hole.

Ive heard other CZ’s compared to the Shadow 2 as a daily driver vs a track car. I went with the shadow 2, and later the optics ready version. I wanted a really fun pistol to shoot and its awesome. Don’t buy the shadow 2 if you want something to carry.
    I dont compete, but i shoot a lot.

I can tell that no one here has ever actually done a trigger job on a CZ pistol

The decocker has nothing to do with trigger quality on a CZ. The decocker doesn't interact with the sear unless you push down on the decocking lever. Any other time, it's invisible to the trigger system.

The lack of a firing pin block is what allows Shadows to have a "nicer" trigger than other CZs wth a FPB and the only real difference is in single action reset. The lack of FPB in a Shadow lets you use a disconnector that doesn't need to let the trigger bar move fwd enough to reset the FPB plunger. This makes for a shorter reset than what can be done on a FPB-equipped CZ

That's IT. The DA stroke and SA break can be made just as sweet on any CZ with a FPB (decocker or non-decocker) as it can on a Shadow.

• Love
    Reactions: TheBigCountry
    @TheBigCountry if you want to pick my brains on this, just PM me

I've owned CZs since about 2005, have sent close to 40K rounds in competition and practice through them over the last three years, and have torn apart and tuned several of them both with the traditional 75 lockwork and with the new Omega trigger system.

• Love
    You really need to hold both and see what fits best in your hand.
    For me, the shadow and other large frame ones don't let me get a good grip and trigger placement, but the 75B line with thin grips is perfect.

If you get a standard model, send it to Cajun Gun Works for their Pro Carry package. It will set you back about $600 when you are all done, but it turns your gun into a thing of beauty you won't want to let out of your hand.

I'm partial to DA/SA guns and their Pro Carry package gives you around a 5 pound DA and a 2 pound SA which feels and shoots very smoothly.

Reactions: cruiserweight
    OG Shadow or Shadow 2 is the question...

The SP-01's are nice too, especially with a couple CGW or CZC goodies, but the decocker guns like the Tacticals are more like cousins twice-removed than siblings, the trigger clockwork in the decocker guns is quite different.

You will never ever be able to get a decocker-model CZ's trigger to be as nice as one with a safety, period, full stop.

IMO CZ's should be made out of metal and be DA/SA with a safety, no decocker, as originally intended. Then it's just a matter of which frame you prefer...

If I had to choose only one though, it'd probably be the OG original Shadow though, it's a classic in my book (and one which I don't currently have right now, a problem I will be fixing).

It's funny, I've been a CZ fan since 2008... back then, when I showed up with one, guys looked down on me like I was an idiot with some stupid commie gun... now I'm a snob? Awesome hahaha!

I dig both/all of them.

S2 SRO copy.jpg
    Old SP-01.jpg75 Polished 1.jpg75 Shadow 1.jpgmini Shadow 1.jpg

Last edited:
    You will never ever be able to get a decocker-model CZ's trigger to be as nice as one with a safety, period, full stop.

Like I said, it's clear who knows how these guns work and who doesn't.

You don't.

The SP101 feels better in my hand than my Shadow 2. I have not shot one though. This thread desperately needs more pics.
    IMG_4370.jpg

Like I said, it's clear who knows how these guns work and who doesn't.

You don't.

I wasn't calling you out, but don't get into a pissing contest when you're going to end up getting pissed on.

(I guess CZ snobbery really is a thing... my bad.)

I wasn't calling you out, but don't get into a pissing contest when you're going to end up getting pissed on.

(I guess CZ snobbery really is a thing... my bad.)

Your absolute statement about the difference in trigger quality between decocker and safety 75s is incorrect.

Anyone who understands how the decocker works, and has done trigger jobs on both, knows it.

If you haven't actually tuned these pistols yourself, you are just guessing or repeating what you've heard.

The only difference in trigger quality lies in the single action reset and it has nothing to do with a safety or a decocker. It has everything to do with the absence or presence of a firing pin block and the amount of fwd travel in the disconnector to allow the trigger bar to reset the FPB.

Shadows, 85s, and a few other super low volume variations, don't have a FPB and can be setup with a much shorter SA reset. Everything else works the same and can be polished the same. The SA break is set by the angle and depth of the hammer hook and that's 100% independent of the safety or decocker which act on the sear cage and only when activated.

I don't give a shit about CZ snobbery. I've been tuning and competing with these pistols since 2007.

Not really relevant to the OP's question but here's a video from CGW discussing decocker vs safety.

For what it's worth I have both a manual safety and a decocker model and have installed CGW parts on both. The manual safety is easier to work on but the triggers feel similar to me.

People get hung up on working with the sear block on the decockers.
    BFD. Just pay attention. It’s not that tough.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Okay. Glad to see we have quite a few CZ guys here. @308pirate ill prolly be dropping you a PM here soon.

I actually got hands on with both guns this weekend at my side hustle (RSO at a range).

SP01 Tactical with the Cajun work done; it actually surprised me how light the trigger was. Totally different then my two stock P07s. I liked it.

Shadow 2: one of my usuals pulled her out and let me shoot some down range. I honestly liked the feel, weight, ergo of it more then the SP01. I can’t exactly put my hands on what it was, but I’m leaning HEAVILY towards it.

I’ve done some thinking and this will be 100% a range toy. I have my twin P07s to carry, for things that go bump, and right now the Shadow 2 is edging out the SP01.

If you are looking for a straight up range/game gun, it’s hard to beat the Shadow 2. I’ve put thousands of rounds through my STI, but as I’m getting older, the front sight is getting harder to see. With so many guys going the carry optics route, I thought I’d give it a go. It has been a very hard transition for me to go from a 1911 trigger to the Da/Sa trigger, but it’s getting better. The more rounds I put through this gun, the more I like it. It’s not the guns fault, it’s just different. CGW did their magic on the trigger and action, and it came out really good. It was expensive, but worth it. Could I have done it myself for less? Probably, but I would have ended up having to replace parts. I’ve got a bad habit of “just one more stroke with the file will be just right. Oops.” Anyway, GET the Lok Bogie grips with the palm swell. Awesome grips. Also, Mec-gar tubes with Taran basepads will get me 21+1 in the gun to start. Good luck with your search.
    765CA682-4DA6-489C-A124-42E3C7229146.jpeg

I see a couple SP01s barely make the IDPA weight limit.
    Are any of the CZs IDPA legal, and if so, which model/s would you recommend?

Fuggit! Bought an SP-01 Target Shadow II.

Last edited:
    D85CD015-DBD3-4807-997C-0F4F3642E3F8.jpeg
    Well, it seems a SP01 with the safety followed me home last night on the USMC birthday of all days. Such is life.

Going to track down a few more mags (thinking MecGar?), throw on a set of VZ grips, and put some rounds down range before I have it Cajun-ised.

One thing I’d like to note; mine came with a Fiber-Optic front sight; I had no idea they came with that. Any ideas?

Mine didn't come with fiber-optic. Those don't look like the factory magazines either but could be wrong with that.

MecGar magazines work well for me, Greg Cote LLC has been a good source.

CZ seems to be doing a lot of great guns these days.

Reactions: MJF
    Great guns!View attachment 7740314
    My TSO in 9mm with LOK palm swell Bogies, optic mount & RM09. It shoots very flat and just wants to go fast.

Dude, no offense but your thumb is freakin’ me the eff out. 🤣 Great looking pistol though!

I joined the CZ club with a bone stock PCR recently. Shot it for the first time yesterday and only put a couple mags through it comparing it to my 92G and P226. I realize they’re not in the same size class, but I didn’t have my G19 w/ me at the time. Seems like a great little pistol up front, but definitely need a trigger job, the DA pull is heavy, and the SA has an obnoxiously long take up, but it is serviceable as-is. I, on the other hand, haven’t played with DA/SA stuff in far too long and absolutely need to hit the dry fire pretty heavily to get back up to speed! 🤣😭

CZ Customs is in town so I may go that route. Anybody have any thoughts on CZC vs CGW as far as trigger work goes?

CZ Customs is in town so I may go that route. Anybody have any thoughts on CZC vs CGW as far as trigger work goes?

Personally I'd give a slight edge to CGW. Their Pro Carry package takes the pistol to a whole new level.

However their lead time is pretty long, so if CZC is in town and you can get them to work on it in a reasonable time frame, I'd go with them and just explain clearly what you want the trigger to be set like & I'm sure they will do a great job.