• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ versus Savage

Pinecone

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Looking for a .22 for practice. I have heard good things about both the CZ and the Savage rifles.

Any comments about one versus the other?

Any particular model?

Accuracy wise they are both very capable shooters. One will not outshoot the other IMO.
If you're looking for a 'shooter' I'd go with the Savage...it costs less, giving you more money for scope/bi-pod/etc.
Fit and finish on the CZ's are better...if you're looking for something to cherish and hand down...or just feel good when you look at it, I'd go with the CZ.

A friend of mine was just asking me this yesterday...I own a CZ 452, which is a very capable factory barreled action. I've shot a Savage MKII TR many times, which I feel is also a very capable factory barreled action. I personally have seen both shoot (and have shot) 1MOA or less at 100 yards with quality ammo.

Definitely look/search around on this forum and you will see several topics that cover both rifles. As said, one will not outshoot the other. I find that to be a pretty dang accurate statement. Both are capable.

CZ 455 is switch barrel/caliber capable, and has Match barrels available as well. If I had to start over again, I'd likely go with the 455 just because of the availability of Match barrels.

A friend of mine was just asking me this yesterday...I own a CZ 452, which is a very capable factory barreled action. I've shot a Savage MKII TR many times, which I feel is also a very capable factory barreled action. I personally have seen both shoot (and have shot) 1MOA or less at 100 yards with quality ammo.

Definitely look/search around on this forum and you will see several topics that cover both rifles. As said, one will not outshoot the other. I find that to be a pretty dang accurate statement. Both are capable.

CZ 455 is switch barrel/caliber capable, and has Match barrels available as well. If I had to start over again, I'd likely go with the 455 just because of the availability of Match barrels.

+1. What he said. Love my CZ's.

I have a Savage and I love it. Very accurate gun and the accu-trigger is nice as well. Affordably priced as well. I put a Boyds tacticool stock on it and couldn't be happier.
The CZ's may be a little more accurate from what I hear and read. They cost a little more and also have a bigger aftermarket.

I also have a savage in tacticool stock and can't be happier!
For the money the savage is great.

having both a savage in MKII F and BV model and a CZ 455, if you have the extra 100.00 to 200.00 extra, spend it on the CZ, it's well spent.

the savages are nice, don't get me wrong, but IMO the CZs are better balanced, less finicky with ammo, IMO better looking, and a step above the savage.

the switch barrel option is also a nice option, even if you don't intend on changing calibers or barrels - at least the option is there.