• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ455, American or Varmint?

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Getting ready to pull the plug on one of them, was curious as to the accuracy I can expect, from a STOCK American and Varmint? I know ammunition is a major factor in the equation, I have on hand some Eley Sport and SK Standard Plus.

Of course the scope would be dependent on which one I go with. How do the Talley's work on the 11mm dovetails? Any movement with them or should I use steel?

Stepping into the .22 world

Mark

American for offhand shooting, Varmint for bipod work.
Precision Trainer if you can afford one and find one.
Accuracy can range from good to adequate, depending
on what you get from the production line lottery.
I've seen new 455's shoot moa to 2 moa out of the box
using mid grade ammo. For plinking or small game hunting
both will do the job. For competition use, pillaring, bedding
and possibly a match grade barrel might be in your future.

Last edited:
Accuracy between the 2 will come down to luck of the draw. A fully stock 455 will shoot anywhere from .5"-1" at 50 yards. What do you plan to use this rifle for? What kind of groups/accuracy would you like to get?

I started out with a CZ 455 American combo package (.22, .17HMR and 22WMR) and like it so much that I accumulated another CZ452 Varmint and CZ452 Ultra Lux. They are fun to shoot and very accurate.
You might want to browse the CZ forum here for more info.

I think if I was going to do bench stuff and not much else, I would go with the Anschutz 64MP. But I was looking for something to take into the woods or even do some positional training with. Are we talking the American being moa, meaning at 100?

Accuracy between the 2 will come down to luck of the draw. A fully stock 455 will shoot anywhere from .5"-1" at 50 yards. What do you plan to use this rifle for? What kind of groups/accuracy would you like to get?

That's acceptable to me for woods work, small game and positional training. What kind of scope are you advising on, rings as well.

That's acceptable to me for woods work, small game and positional training. What kind of scope are you advising on, rings as well.

For glass that will depend on budget and the same goes for the mounting setup. There are many options to choose from. If I'm using 11mm rings I like the warne rimfire rings. If a picatinny rail is on the menu there are many ways to go!

For glass that will depend on budget and the same goes for the mounting setup. There are many options to choose from. If I'm using 11mm rings I like the warne rimfire rings. If a picatinny rail is on the menu there are many ways to go!

I think I would just keep it simple and stay with the dovetail. As I understand both come stock with the dovetail and you can add a rail which actually attaches to the dovetail if wanting standard rings? So we are looking at 11mm steel either Warne or Leupold? Scope would be relative for use, maybe 2-7 or 3-9? Something decent, as a comparison, have NF's on my center fire's

I think I would just keep it simple and stay with the dovetail. As I understand both come stock with the dovetail and you can add a rail which actually attaches to the dovetail if wanting standard rings? So we are looking at 11mm steel either Warne or Leupold? Scope would be relative for use, maybe 2-7 or 3-9? Something decent, as a comparison, have NF's on my center fire's

NF has a nice 2.5-10x32 that's only like 12" long. Not sure if its AO or if its a fixed parallex. I like the leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 AO. Its 12.4" long and goes down to 25 yards. The one I have has been through hell and back and is still going strong!

All 455's come with an 11mm dovetail and picatinny rail mounts are available so you can use standard/weaver rings. Many do this as the ring choice are then endless. Some due it for the built in moa in the rail. You can go with warne, leupold, bkl ect. I personally use the warne ones.

Mark
My 2 cents.....Varmint barrels are more expensive to buy aftermarket than American or taper.....and since you can switch them out with ease.......

^ good thinking there.

i think you'ld be suprised how well the CZ's in general accepts / handles a wide variety of ammo very well even junky bulk stuff. i love my 455 varmint, and thinking about the 455 american for a dedicate silhouette rifle, the ruger american rimfire is peeking my interest more and more for the silhouette role.

With CZ it it is not which one, as much as which one first. They seem to be quite addicting. have both americans and varmints in the 452,453 series,all are very accurate in my mind. MOA-or 1 in. and less at 100 are not uncommon with good glass, and ammo. sk, wolf match, cci st. vel.,fed automatch. have all worked well. have not done much with HV ammo. Talley does work well, have used warne, CZ, burris, also. My understanding is that the 455's are just as accurate.
Sure you will like which ever one you choose first. They are very well built rifles.