• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cz455 with a lilja ss heavy barrel or 40xb?

Hmmmm, a target rifle from the Remington custom shop
or a mass produced rifle with a match barrel that'll need accurizing.
The XB is good to go, the CZ will need the Manners stock, bedding,
and a better trigger to go along with the Lilja barrel. After that it'll
depend on the quality of the ammo and the skill of the shooter.

Perfect example of better barrel inferior action (cz), better action inferior barrel (40x). With the cz setup properly it will come down to luck of the draw IMO.

Perfect example of better barrel inferior action (cz), better action inferior barrel (40x). With the cz setup properly it will come down to luck of the draw IMO.

I would not say that the 40X barrel is inferior to any other out there. Big green can make as good as any when they are coming out of the custom shop, centerfire or rimfire.

Bell nailed it,
both more that likely out shoot the shooter
just I would love to find a good 40x, not that many show up around here now days

I would not say that the 40X barrel is inferior to any other out there. Big green can make as good as any when they are coming out of the custom shop, centerfire or rimfire.

I thought remington used the hammer forged crap barrels on everything. Seems the 40x's use button rifled barrels which are hand lapped. If I had to guess these barrels I doubt are made by remington. The 547 custom shop rifles use shilen barrels. I wonder if they use shilen for the rest?

40XB! This is 60 shots 5 shot groups shot with one of my 40XB's. They were shot from the bench at 50 yards with iron sights. You can cover all 5 shot groups with a dime.

JaUMe5C.png

LMmQbVD.png

Eszh7ja.png

cqoovOE.png

Last edited:
Repeater was my big push to initially buy the CZ....then I came to terms with just getting the 40x milled but I understand not all want to do such a thing to an old rifle. Add that to your pros and cons list.

Nice shooting Mark4470!

As far as the custom shop barrels there was a time (many years ago) that they used Hart barrels. But they do make their own and they hammer!! Super consistent for sure. Some of the most accurate rifles I have owned have been out of the Remington Custom shop.

Also as far as hammer forged barrels if they are done right they can be as good or actually better than a button or cut barrel. Just look at Sauer barrels they are hammer forged as are Sako's to include the TRG. Just food for thought...

I've got a 40x standard barrel and 40xb heavy barrel. Took the sights & wood stocks off both, stuck them in B&C A-2 stocks, 20moa rail, jewel triggers, scopes, they SHOOT!