• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daddys take your daughter shooting

Re: Daddys take your daughter shooting

My son isnt quite old enough to shoot yet(turning 2 in a couple weeks) but he sure wants to. He absolutely loves handling dad's guns, with very close supervision of course, and throws a fit when he cant help me reload. I let him in the room to help me with brass prep but when the primers or powder comes out he has to go and he doesn't like it one bit. Anyways here's a pic from a little while back checking out my Stevens.

DSC01482.jpg

Thats awesome right there.....smoke,same compliment back to you bro!!

Buck, one of these days your son will be taking you to the range!!

Well....Maybe I'll just leave the Boy at home for now on, as he out shot the old man today!! It was extreamly windy today, and we broke in a new Savage .223, and His groups were smaller than all but one of mine. The AR at 200yrds was challenging, but again his 2.5" group was better than my 3" group. At least I aced him at 100yrds, putting 5 rounds in a 1/2" The kid just needed a little break from shooting, I guess, and the wind was blowing towards the waste water plant today
wink.gif

My son really wants to go shooting but going to have to wait as he just turned 3. I set up his toy lever action rifle on one of my bipods and he thought it was pretty cool.

Here's Jillian, my daughter. Moon built this rifle for her. 7MM-08, Templar action, 22" Bartlein barrel, Vias brake, Manners light weight stock, Paint job by Todd, TAB sling with no buckles. Scope is a S&B Zenith 1.5X6 Flash Dot

We'll be going to Africa for a plains game hunt in August. Can you tell she likes the blue color on the stock, kind of matches her finger nails.

3a4f22bc.jpg

51b796cd.jpg

Thank you Lisa, she's a sweet heart too, and she makes her own TAB GEAR too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's Jillian, my daughter. Moon built this rifle for her. 7MM-08, Templar action, 22" Bartlein barrel, Vias brake, Manners light weight stock, Paint job by Todd, TAB sling with no buckles. Scope is a S&B Zenith 1.5X6 Flash Dot

We'll be going to Africa for a plains game hunt in August. Can you tell she likes the blue color on the stock, kind of matches her finger nails.

3a4f22bc.jpg

51b796cd.jpg
</div></div>

Wow she is beautiful!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man. </div></div>

No, he ate the Barrett up!! The range is next door to the waste water plant, that makes me loose intrest on some days!!
eek.gif

Hes into playing guitars, fishing..... </div></div>
Don't give up on him. I believe many kids go thru stages. One thing I have learned is that you can make them go with you to the range. You already make them go to the grocery store,hardware store,household item shopping,clothing store and other places they dont want to go and they can wine and complain at all of them but if you make them go where you want when you want then they realize that the complaining does no good so better just get used to it and go with the flow.....Your the parent. You can and should tell them that the guitar hero and all electronics are off and it's time for a day with daddy. They may wine at first but if you are ready for it then it will be manageable.... Stay the course, don't wimp out and let their wining change your direction. Be firm but be kind as well.
............SmokeRolls </div></div>

Forcing them isnt always a good idea.
I know when i was a kid, when my parents forced me to do something i always hated it worse. My dad always encourages me to go hunting, And when i was younger i started to grow out of it, Sitting in a tree stand in the cold or hot for 3-4 hours, my ass getting sore and my feet losing feeling wasnt worth it to me to see/shoot a buck here and there.
Now i see it more as a father son bonding time, more than just shooting a deer or turkey. Granted it makes it all the more fun when one of us does get something nice.
Its just a phase, i'd say just keep asking them, and encouraging them. If hes not into it then hes not going to be.
Forcing him isnt going to help the situation, possibly make it worse

I'd second what jthoss said. I'm a father, and I'm young enough to remember exactly how I felt about being forced into activities that I had no interest in. I was pressured into team sports when all I wanted to do was shoot, hunt and fish. To this day I have little interest in team sports. I hope my daughter will enjoy the things I love to do, but if not, I'll learn to enjoy the things she likes to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlySolo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd second what jthoss said. I'm a father, and I'm young enough to remember exactly how I felt about being forced into activities that I had no interest in. I was pressured into team sports when all I wanted to do was shoot, hunt and fish. To this day I have little interest in team sports. I hope my daughter will enjoy the things I love to do, but if not, I'll learn to enjoy the things she likes to do. </div></div>

Glad someone can see it the way it is. If you have had experience in being forced to do something its never fun. Piano for instance, all i wanted to do was play guitar, but i had to play the piano. To this day i still hate the piano, but love guitar

Man if only we had ranges here in England where we could just take the kids and teach them the discipline needed for shooting.
I am fortunate in that I grew up in a farming family and always had access to guns.
We also emigrated to Northern Alberta for a while and where we lived you made your own fun and that mean a 22 and a box of ammo.
I love to see you folks sharing with your kids.

AJ

Are there no youth programs for firearms in the UK? I would call a local club and inquire, without youth in these clubs, they will close.

Gun ownership here in the UK is severely restricted.
Handguns totally banned.
Self Loading Rifles banned
Bolt Action and Lever Action rifles are still permited as a member of a recognised club.
Deer Stalking or Vermin control can only be done on private land with the permission of the land owner and where the land has been inspected by the police and approved for the use of a rifle of the specified calibre.
Pump and Semi Auto Shotgun allowed but with magazine capacity restricted.

That is a brief run down on UK regs

Being forced to do anything always took the fun out of it for me. So I don't force mine to do anything but <span style="font-style: italic">try </span>new things. They have to try and they have to give it 100%, then if it really doesn't hold any interest we move on.

My 10 yo stepson didn't really take to shooting, so I don't make him do it. It was an ordeal for both of us. He's more cerebral and we work on programming together (Flash and HTML) and art (sketching from life, graphite and charcoal). My 7 yo loves riding motorcycles and absolutely LOVES shooting, so much that she made me "pinky swear" I'd take her deer hunting with me this Fall. I'm loading up reduced recoil Amaxes in .308 for my Marlin XS and she's practicing heart/lung shots on small "deer" printouts.

Both mine shoot often with me. My favorite hunting picture is one of my daughters in full camo shooting a doe across a cow pasture....looks all tactical except for the earings you can see lined up with the deer and the painted fingernails!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's Jillian, my daughter. Moon built this rifle for her. 7MM-08, Templar action, 22" Bartlein barrel, Vias brake, Manners light weight stock, Paint job by Todd, TAB sling with no buckles. Scope is a S&B Zenith 1.5X6 Flash Dot

3a4f22bc.jpg

51b796cd.jpg
</div></div>
Excellent job raising her... Keep it up and enjoy the hunt in Africa.......Dads like you are great role models for our kids. Let her know she has a sweet rifle there......
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She layed out the camo, and is proud of it....
wink.gif

P5080119.jpg

P5080123.jpg
</div></div>
Tell her nice camo job.......Keep it up........This thead has turned out to be a neat thing....To see other dads and moms raising their kids with the sport we love...... Being a Parent or an uncle and taking the time to enjoy a sport with their kids.....That's priceless...........SmokeRolls
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MomCoaching.jpg

EmmasTarget.jpg

EmmasFirstShot.jpg
</div></div>
I believe she deserves her own Hello Kitty AR for a group like that.........Hats off! SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man. </div></div>

No, he ate the Barrett up!! The range is next door to the waste water plant, that makes me loose intrest on some days!!
eek.gif

Hes into playing guitars, fishing..... </div></div>
Don't give up on him. I believe many kids go thru stages. One thing I have learned is that you can make them go with you to the range. You already make them go to the grocery store,hardware store,household item shopping,clothing store and other places they dont want to go and they can wine and complain at all of them but if you make them go where you want when you want then they realize that the complaining does no good so better just get used to it and go with the flow.....Your the parent. You can and should tell them that the guitar hero and all electronics are off and it's time for a day with daddy. They may wine at first but if you are ready for it then it will be manageable.... Stay the course, don't wimp out and let their wining change your direction. Be firm but be kind as well.
............SmokeRolls </div></div>

Forcing them isnt always a good idea.
I know when i was a kid, when my parents forced me to do something i always hated it worse. My dad always encourages me to go hunting, And when i was younger i started to grow out of it, Sitting in a tree stand in the cold or hot for 3-4 hours, my ass getting sore and my feet losing feeling wasnt worth it to me to see/shoot a buck here and there.
Now i see it more as a father son bonding time, more than just shooting a deer or turkey. Granted it makes it all the more fun when one of us does get something nice.
Its just a phase, i'd say just keep asking them, and encouraging them. If hes not into it then hes not going to be.
Forcing him isnt going to help the situation, possibly make it worse</div></div>
Please don't think I'm a tyrant when making my kids do something they don't want to do. I'm actually very gentle and loving with them. Sometimes I make them go with me in the same manner as you would make them go to the grocery store. I don't make them shoot, instead I expose them to another idea. Sometimes exposure and showing them the fun of an activity is enough to spark their interest..... I jump for joy when they finally say " I want to try that"....Or Daddy, when are you going to take me shooting, or when are you going to take me hunting...

I do realize that forcing them in all things can backfire into rebellion or create a bitterness that is hard to re-write.

Having a great relationship with your kids is huge in trying to get them to try new things.......And that I am fortunate to have.
Form that relationship and they will be more willing to enjoy time with you...............SmokeRolls

shootingwiththeboys007.jpg

NZtrip2010099.jpg

Sons, daughters....it doesnt matter take them! Time spent is time spent. I wouldnt trade these days for anything...
NZstuff062.jpg

Familyantelope2009030.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
shootingwiththeboys007.jpg

NZtrip2010099.jpg

Sons, daughters....it doesnt matter take them! Time spent is time spent. I wouldnt trade these days for anything...
url]

Familyantelope2009030.jpg
</div></div>
PGS , You are the man!!!!!
I can't give you a greater complement... SmokeRolls

Shooting is a life skill, like being able to swim.
All kids should be taught gun safety and marksmanship.
The joy is when they like it
smile.gif

Love to hunt and shoot with my children. Great pictures guys. I haven't shot a deer in 2 years....the kids do all the trigger work now so I am left with turkeys, crows, and coyotes. Here are a few pics:

DSCN0492Copy.jpg

IMG_7154Copy.jpg

IMG_7171Copy.jpg

IMG_7216Copy.jpg

Mine's not old enough yet, but I've already started her down the path...
grin.gif

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

She's 2 now, and likes to sit there and run the bolt on my Badger rifle, I think she'll be on her way soon.

Quote for the last picture....

"this Erek knob fits my little hand perfect, now somebody teach me some ballistic formulas so I can use it!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love to hunt and shoot with my children. Great pictures guys. I haven't shot a deer in 2 years....the kids do all the trigger work now so I am left with turkeys, crows, and coyotes. Here are a few pics:

IMG_7216Copy.jpg
</div></div>

Wow! That come from Lee County?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love to hunt and shoot with my children. Great pictures guys. I haven't shot a deer in 2 years....the kids do all the trigger work now so I am left with turkeys, crows, and coyotes. Here are a few pics:

IMG_7216Copy.jpg
</div></div>

Wow! That come from Lee County? </div></div>

Harnett....right here at the house, and here I was going to Chatham all these years. Nice to meet somebody local on here.

I'm with Appolo 11. Regardless of the kid smilin or what he was saying to you Dad, that's alot of recoil and report for a little man. Those 50's send alot of adults away tweaked! You really got to want to deal with that big time!
Add sweating away on that plastic in the sun and smellin the processing plant I would be lookin for my guitar or fishing pole too.
My son started at 6 also and was into it until he got around that age. Now he just likes to come out every once and a while just to do it with me. Ultimately, he just likes to be a teenager with his buds.
Now the if the idea of selling anything comes into the conversation, he is all over me with the "Dad dont sell a thing"!
I think he just wants to get older before he gets into it. OK by me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine's not old enough yet, but I've already started her down the path...
grin.gif

DSC_0240.jpg

She's 2 now, and likes to sit there and run the bolt on my Badger rifle, I think she'll be on her way soon. </div></div>

you know she is messing with your elevation.....next shot you take....4.3mil high......

Just sayin....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please don't think I'm a tyrant when making my kids do something they don't want to do. I'm actually very gentle and loving with them. Sometimes I make them go with me in the same manner as you would make them go to the grocery store. I don't make them shoot, instead I expose them to another idea. Sometimes exposure and showing them the fun of an activity is enough to spark their interest..... I jump for joy when they finally say " I want to try that"....Or Daddy, when are you going to take me shooting, or when are you going to take me hunting...

I do realize that forcing them in all things can backfire into rebellion or create a bitterness that is hard to re-write.

Having a great relationship with your kids is huge in trying to get them to try new things.......And that I am fortunate to have.
Form that relationship and they will be more willing to enjoy time with you...............SmokeRolls </div></div>

Ok that makes it seem better.
Glad you made it clearer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine's not old enough yet, but I've already started her down the path...
grin.gif

DSC_0243.jpg

She's 2 now, and likes to sit there and run the bolt on my Badger rifle, I think she'll be on her way soon.</div></div>

That Sniper's Hide T-Shirt is awesome! Wish I had one when I was a baby....

I hope to have my 4 year old daughter shooting this year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine's not old enough yet, but I've already started her down the path...
grin.gif

DSC_0240.jpg

She's 2 now, and likes to sit there and run the bolt on my Badger rifle, I think she'll be on her way soon. </div></div>

you know she is messing with your elevation.....next shot you take....4.3mil high......

Just sayin.... </div></div>

She is gettin my Jedi mind tricks that im sending....keep on messing with Daddy's elevation knob
laugh.gif

Guys I have 3 daughters as well and I am here to tell you to enjoy and be with them all you can because you will turn around look back and they will be on their own. I only have one left at home now my other two are pretty much on their own

I started my 2 girls on a Ruger 10-22 2 years ago. They still say they like it, just need to get them out more.

Last night the kids were playing in the front yard with the neighbor kids, a rabbit ran across the next door front yard. All the kids started chasing it, my oldest yells over to me "get the rifle!"....I laughed my butt off and started wishing we werent trapped in the 'burbs.

They do like going to the cabin though......

Just sayin.... [/quote]

The last time I went g-hog hunting I found out the hard way to not let my boy play with the turrets, he had the ele turret 2 full twists up off of zero, took me a couple shots to figure out why the heck I wasnt even seeing the shots hit in the scope.

WOW!! This is awesome. My daughter is just a little over 2 and she loves helping out with my gear. I can't wait to take her out. Thanks to everyone that has posted pics!! I love being a DAD!!!

All 5 of my girls have been shooting with me since they were each about 5 years old. Here is a picture of my 9yr old with her Remington 700 that I recently had Score High Gunsmithing set up for her.

McMillan A5 shortened to 12.25"LOP/Bedded factory Rem 700 VSF .223/BDL bottom metal/Rem trigger tuned to 2.5lbs/Badger bolt knob/IBA one piece scope mount 30mm 20MOA/Leupold MK4 M3 3.5-10x40 Mildot w/.223 Rem BDC & Butler Creeks/Harris 6-9 swivel w/ Pod-loc.
She ran this rifle today for the first time. 100 rounds out to 300 yards. I was very proud!

2qxx98g.jpg

Father's Day 2010

906526856_kMwMe-M.jpg

My 6 year-old with her Crickett she got for her 5th birthday. Still floating her cheek weld a bit.
grin.gif

906528252_wkFgV-M.jpg

My 5 year-old with Mom introducing her to the rifle for the first time.

906531120_FJdiU-M.jpg

And Mom is more than qualified to teach her.