• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daddys take your daughter shooting

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Patrickscellphonepics095.jpg

Take your kids shooting before they are gone.....SmokeRolls

Re: Daddys take your daughter shooting

Mine just turned 6 months. I actually asked my wife in the recovery room what was an appropriate age to teach her how to shoot.

My oldest daughter will be 5 1/2 later this summer, and my wife keeps telling me to wait. I'm not going to wait, going to get her a pink cricket as soon as the funds allow.

Branden

Do it, take the kids out shooting. You never know what life has in store for you or them. Take them shooting when you feel they are ready.

You may not have a chance to spend that valuable time together! That goes for shooting and everything else for that matter.

Life is precious, tomorrow is not a sure thing.

My daughter got a pink Crickett for Christmas when she was 5 (last year) and she loves it. She even knows to remove the bolt when going to check or re-set targets and such. Reactive targets are her favorites like balloons, clay pigeons, walnuts, etc. Plan to go out this Sunday for a little while.

Great thread. One of the things I look forward to most is teaching my kids how to shoot, and how to hunt. It's truly a lost part of American culture. Kids just want to sit at home and play on a computer or text their friends. Toys costs tons of money anymore, but I remember when the best toy you could get was a stick from the woods that my imagination made into my first deer rifle. I agree, take your kids shooting.

I thought this was a good idea until my poor, deluded, oldest daughter laid claim to my Savage .223 Varmint and my M&P .45...

The youngest hasn't come out with me yet as she's often busy with school or crew but I can't wait to see what I'll be donating to her.

It's awfully nice to take #1 with me, though she is an advocate of the "less cleaning is best" school of gun care...Good company nevertheless and she has a lot of fun.

My little girl is almost two, she loves outdoors, but hard to say if she'll turn into a shootin buddy yet, my five year old son however is well on his way, he hikes, camps, and shoots with dad every chance he gets, as long as it involves takin Dad's truck, and mountains, he's on it!
24607_1380436718061_1446222379_1020.jpg

I got him a cricket .17hmr and he loves it! Quite an accurate little gun.
24607_1380436678060_1446222379_1020.jpg

Noting worse then realizing your daughters and now grandaughters have out grown you. Sons are differant, they'll always come back to shoot up your ammo or swipe your tools.

Not so with the daughters and grandaughters.

Kianna%20turkey%202.jpg

Kianna%20Jr%20Rodeo.jpg

I have two daughters, 17 and 14. Neither showed any interest until fall of '08 when my then 13 year old wanted to know why I never take her hunting. We fixed that! She got a 10-22 for Christmas and now looks like I am gonna have to find a new MkII Ruger if I want to have one. She wants to go to the Appleseed shoot with me this fall. Sometimes they surprise you!

Cant wait for mine to be old enough to come with me. My daughter is 3 and my son is 7 months old, so they still have some time before they hit the range with me.

I agree tenfold with this post. I take my daughters with me anytime we go to the mountains, mama too. They partake in archery, hiking, shed hunting, and fishing with me. I am a little reluctant to let them start shooting powder actuacted though. We do practice with the bb gun though. I have taken my oldest upland hunting with me though, let her carry her youth 20 guage (empty) to see how she would handle a gun in the field walking all day. She did good, shells next year.

I've had my little girl shooting since she was 5. Started her on a Red Ryder in the backyard blasting soda cans. She loves to shoot.

I had a pink leather sling(for her pink cricket) built for my best friends little girl for X-Mas last year. She really likes it. It goes with the pink stuffed bear I bought her.

She really shoot pretty well for a KinderGarden student. Her older brother(second grade) is also a great shot. We got him a youth 223 last year. And that is all he wants to do is shoot it.

I bought him a Kimber Long Master Classic the day he is born. All he talks about doing is shooting it someday. But he is not in a hurry. He knows it is a "big boy" rifle.

I take them ground hog hunting on my Kawasaki Mule all the time. We do not kill alot of ground hogs. but we sure do have a great time. Hunting with kids who want to be there is a great thing. Tom.

Thanks for all the people who chimed in on this. I started my girls on a little 22LR chipmunk when they were about 8 and 6 and we shot a paper plate with a large black dot in the middle of it. The oldest girl took to it and kinda liked it, the youngest got frustrated because she couldn't connect or grasp what she was doing. The oldest (14, almost 15 now) I have taken her shooting and hunting and she is really showing some interest now. She is shooting my POF 416 even though she is left eye dominant and right handed. I believe I will start looking for a Stag arms lefty AR just to call it her own rifle.. I'll paint it whatever color she wants. I gave the youngest some time to let her "want" to shoot with me and it worked.... She took to it like a duck to water and is going thru 22LR shells like an 18 year old teen thru a bag of Dorito's. I have now bought them a Savage stainless 17HMR varmit rifle with acue trigger and a CZ 452 22LR 16" threaded barrel which both shoot like lazers. If my oldest is really serious about deer this year I will give her my Remington 270 titanium and load her up some slightly tamed 100-130 grain loads (just to make it more enjoyable)... Don't give up dads even if you have to drag them to the range and pry them from their I-pods... Spend some time filling some water ballons and fixing them on the range (Watch for sharp grass and sticks), get some one gallon milk jugs and fill them with water (These work great and are easy to hit), old Golf balls work great because you can make them fly with a hit, stacked cans work great and give a great target to hit, after they knock them down get really excited and congradulate them. That really raises their interest and lets them know that it is fun to do.... Have fun Dads.......................SmokeRolls

Mine is 10 and loves to shoot. Take her to the range every chance I get. Next time I think she is going to use the AR-15. Nothing more important in life then spending time with your kids. Love to see people at range and here taking there kids to shoot.

I've got two girls and no boys. The girls are 12 and 15. Both can shoot lights out! My 12 year old is dying to kill something this year. Took her hunting deer last year in AZ and we struck out. I will take her to WY this year for antelope. Not much risk of striking out on that one. I'm assembling a semi-custome for her that will be finished soon.

I bought my daughter a Henry lever action 22 for her eighth birthday. "Daddy, can we go to the gun range today?" is music to my ears. As a bonus, it gets me out of chores. "Sorry Dear, I'd love to hang blinds today but I have to take our daughter to the gun range. Looks like we'll be gone all day."

My little girl looked up at me the other day and said, "Dad, we need to go hunting." Damn, must've done something right along the way.

Smoke,That is very true.My boys are grown now,and we have young grandchildren.I can't wait until they are old enough to go hunting and shooting.My boys were raised at the rifle range and the deer club,and we still hunt and shoot together.Good on ya for the time you spend with yours and for posting this advice for others. HAPPY EASTER, Pete

My now 11 year old Loves to shoot and my 13 Year Old while not a "Fanatic" is a heck of a shot .

Here is the 11 Y/O with her 10-22 I built for her .
Kay_Shooting.JPG

One Wife, one Daughter, one Granddaughter, one Grandson so far...; age order...

The other Granddaughter is only 9 mos old, but her time will come too...; count on it...

If I tried to put something Pink in any of their hands...; well, yaknow that expression about looks that kill...?

The older Granddaughter just decided to give up her horse while she concentrates on Junior High (the responsibility and barn chores were getting to be too much), but that young horse and rider duo are ringers for her and Felita...

Greg

My little girl is just at 7 months so not anytime soon but she will have her chance. My two boys love everything outdoors, they are 2 and 4 and growing fast.

I'm three score and three at this stage.

Been a Husband going on two score, a Dad not much less, and a Granddad for 14 as of next October.

Been a Scout Leader more than the two score, and an NRA Cert'd Instructor going on a decade.

Taught a lot of folks which end goes where, and they all make me proud.

Life could be a lot worse...; heck, I'm just enjoying my old(er) age more'n any other time of my life.

Greg

Here is my oldest (16, Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!). She doesnt love shooting, alhough she is a great shot and has been shooting since she was 6. She only goes to make daddy happy. I was blessed with 3 (F-ing THREE) Daughters, so I have to make do, LOL.

She was shooting a buddys' silenced Recce carbine this past winter. Ringing the hell out of steel with it, too. At decent ranges.

ETA- She didnt wear a big enough coat and got cold, so I had to give her my Carhartt. She had to get pretty cold before her fashion sensibilities allowed her to actually be caught dead in my coat. It was rather funny. And 15 degrees, LOL.

2009-12-27115048.jpg

Too bad she is not really into shooting, its a fun sport. But to each their own.

We have a saying around here - Parents that take their kids hunting,never have to hunt for the kids. It's true too.

I have a 27 yr old daughter, and a 23 yr old son. I finally took the old 700 youth model BDL in 243 laster year, and made it into a 308, after all, no more kids right? Well.... I am proud daddy of a 7 month old now, and found out the 27 yr old daughter is due in September...NICE! Now I have excuses for more kids guns!

The lil one had her first taste of Bacon this morning btw. Loved it of course! We stayed home this weekend, and I enjoyed cooking breakfast.... hmmmm same as at Man Camp....

Cool thread. I introduced my daughter to shooting at age 13, and she promptly took a course and qualified as a NSRA Mastershot at her first attempt, much to the dismay of th eolder candidates on the course. She also learned to shoot pistol along with her brother, her junior by 7 years. Both are still good shots with rifle and pistol....

My little gal will be 6 next month and for now she loves doing anything outside with me. She is a pretty good helper in the reloading room and loves shooting to. I just got some Savage cub .22's in at the shop I'll be she gets one for her birthday.

Hope this is for both genders and not just girls......

I was blessed with 2 daughters, the oldest just got interested in shooting last year before going to college. This was her first time shooting a AR and her first time handloading.

CatsRangeTrip2.jpg

With that said I am always taking boys and girls that are interested and introduce them into LR shooting.

Here is a young man that wanted to do some shooting just before him and his family headed to the Philippines as missionaries.

samproneFNH.jpg

A couple of weeks ago these 3 brothers were very competitive to say the least.

4-1.jpg

Even a pagent queen...

1-1.jpg

Everyone likes sending 750 Amax's down range.

IMG_1713.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hope this is for both genders and not just girls......

I was blessed with 2 daughters, the oldest just got interested in shooting last year before going to college. This was her first time shooting a AR and her first time handloading.

CatsRangeTrip2.jpg

With that said I am always taking boys and girls that are interested and introduce them into LR shooting.

Here is a young man that wanted to do some shooting just before him and his family headed to the Philippines as missionaries.

samproneFNH.jpg

A couple of weeks ago these 3 brothers were very competitive to say the least.

4-1.jpg

Even a pagent queen...

1-1.jpg

Everyone likes sending 750 Amax's down range.

IMG_1713.jpg
</div></div>
El Gordo, this is not only for Dads and their girls. It's for us parents, grandparents,uncles,aunts,friends and relatives. Take any and all kids shooting that are under your supervision if even temporarily..... I mainly was emploring Dads to take out their daughters because they get kinda neglected by dads due to the difference between Dads and their shooting/hunting and daughters with their I-pods and facebook.......Bridge the gap.
It's easy for Dads to relate to their sons but they kinda feel outa touch with their daughters... Dads are the roll models that their daughters will associate with what to look for in their future husband........So get out there and spend some quality time with them and shooting is just one activity that you can use......Take them out to lunch, take them out to breakfast on a saturday.......It's up to you dads... No-one else will teach them what you want them to know...........SmokeRolls

Started the kids at 7 and 9, started on rimfire, at 12 converted to hi-power, took them to Camp Perry as Juniors, and they shot until graduation from highschool, the youngest shot on the Drexel Rife Team for for years, following graduation from college, they are working in D.C. and Baltimore and do not get to shoot much but they still come home for deer season, boy that time went fast. looking for grand children to get into the shooting sports .

I shot as a teen, and served in 'Nam.

Never laid hands on a gun again for 20-some years.

Then became a 'retread' in my late '40's, and have been <span style="font-style: italic">well</span> into it some 20 years since.

The moral of this story; never count your eggs out until they're full grown and settled.

Greg

Smoke...you are so right...

456.jpg

Ranging exercises....that is why no eyes/ears...
Double ears with this compensator!

UU6-2copy.jpg

mine is 10 and hooked on my/ now hers 10-22

I just found out on Tuesday that my wife and I are expecting a little girl in September. We have two boys (4 and 10 months). Going to get her one of those pink crickets for her first rifle.

Congratulations! My wife and I are also expecting this September and she told me that the kid won't be doing any shooting until they are at least 10 years old. I just laughed right in her face and walked away. Just the other day I showed her this thread, particularly the pics on the little man shooting, and she just rolled her eyes. She knows that I'd rather die than keep my children away from the shooting sports. She'll get over it, if not, tough shit.

I started my Son out at 8yrs old on handguns, and 22lr. Now at age 12, I can't get his ass to the range!! It breaks my heart, but he lost intrest, and won't go. My 16yr old Daughter is wanting to go however, so all hope isn't lost! I managed to get him to shoot this after a little coaxing, before loosing all intrest.
Aug25thShoot041.jpg

Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man.

Great post

One of the Herb Parsons videos I watched had a great saying.

Hunt with your kids today so you dont have to hunt for them tomorrow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man. </div></div>

No, he ate the Barrett up!! The range is next door to the waste water plant, that makes me loose intrest on some days!!
eek.gif

Hes into playing guitars, fishing.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man. </div></div>

No, he ate the Barrett up!! The range is next door to the waste water plant, that makes me loose intrest on some days!!
eek.gif

Hes into playing guitars, fishing..... </div></div>

Copy that, just thought I'd throw that out there. Sounds like you need a new range. Hopefully he'll come around in a year or two. Just be ready when he does, and get your daughter out shooting. Perhaps she can get some sibling rivalry going.

Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a great pic, but do you think it may have played a part in the intrest being lost? Just sayin', its a lot of blast and noise for a little man. </div></div>

eek.gif

Don't give up on him. I believe many kids go thru stages. One thing I have learned is that you can make them go with you to the range. You already make them go to the grocery store,hardware store,household item shopping,clothing store and other places they dont want to go and they can wine and complain at all of them but if you make them go where you want when you want then they realize that the complaining does no good so better just get used to it and go with the flow.....Your the parent. You can and should tell them that the guitar hero and all electronics are off and it's time for a day with daddy. They may wine at first but if you are ready for it then it will be manageable.... Stay the course, don't wimp out and let their wining change your direction. Be firm but be kind as well.
............SmokeRolls

eek.gif

Don't give up on him. I believe many kids go thru stages. One thing I have learned is that you can make them go with you to the range. You already make them go to the grocery store,hardware store,household item shopping,clothing store and other places they dont want to go and they can wine and complain at all of them but if you make them go where you want when you want then they realize that the complaining does no good so better just get used to it and go with the flow.....Your the parent. You can and should tell them that the guitar hero and all electronics are off and it's time for a day with daddy. They may wine at first but if you are ready for it then it will be manageable.... Stay the course, don't wimp out and let their wining change your direction. Be firm but be kind as well.
............SmokeRolls <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just found out on Tuesday that my wife and I are expecting a little girl in September. We have two boys (4 and 10 months). Going to get her one of those pink crickets for her first rifle.</div></div>
Don't just look at the pink Crickets. I bought mine a Chipmunk with a black synthetic stock and I believe the build quality is even nicer and the stock seems to be even smaller and better shaped for smaller hands and even looks nicer, the sights are all steel (Some little kid rifle sights are plastic or have plastic pieces on their sights)
Have fun kid shopping......SmokeRolls

scan0019-5.jpg

My daughter when she was 11....red letter day..

shaneshooting021.jpg

My nine year old....shoots pretty good!

boysshooting003.jpg

Its all good.....NO!, Make that great!!!

The future of everything we love right there...

PGS, you are the "Man"....... Excellent job. I believe you could teach us all because you have done a great job and proof is in the pudding............SmokeRolls