• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daily Commute

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
So, I've been offered a job with great pay, but the commute could suck some days. On a good run without traffic, it would be 70 minutes (far southwest Chicago suburb to far north end). My question is: what would you have to get paid to make that drive every day? The wife thinks I am nuts for needing to think about this, but I value what little bit of sanity I have left.

Re: Daily Commute

get friendly with talk radio..
information is power, take advantage of the drive.

you can listen to "tactical tapes" or something.

Out here in so cal, thats a normal everyday commute for more than half of us.

its all comes down to <span style="text-decoration: underline">mindset</span> my brother.

I've decided that no matter the job, I'm not going to have to commute more than 30 minutes to work. Just not worth it to me. In the end, it just soaks up so much time and SANITY.

To each their own, but it's not a compromise I'm willing to make anymore.

I wouldn't do it. In the summer you are looking at 2 hour Fridays.

Rain, 2 hours
Snow, 2+ hours

Depending on your working hours, you'll most likely never see a 70 min commute.

I grew up on the South Side (Chi Heights), now live on the North Side. Worked South and North burbs, I know the commutes. If its a great gig, move.

The real problem is that your job is in Chicago to begin with. Spend that 70 minutes driving in any direction out of that city and then consider your options. a job in chicago is costing you a lot more than a 70 minute commute.

It's not technically in Chicago, actually right next to Great Lakes Naval Station. I figure that if it works out, it may be my way to escape Illinois and jump the border to Wisconsin.

If your into books Audible.com makes the time pass faster. I have a 78 mile commute each way, four days a week, and it makes it a lot better.

Well, near Great Lakes you have ample highway access, with I-55 or 355 you'll be able to get there pretty fast. As long as you consider it relatively short term commuting - meaning you are planning to eventually move - you'll probably be ok.

It will be long days though, especially in the summer.

Used to drive 70 miles oneway for my first hospital job. At $4+/gal fuel costs factor in as well as you sanity in traffic through enemy territory. Must be a very worthwhile position.

Eric