• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Dallas TX - Closest match to watch? Closest Rifle Club/Local Club to compete?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
Hi all, interested in getting started in the hobby/competition. Would love to spectate a match or two before deciding on going all in.

I'm on the PRS site and trying to find some matches near Dallas TX area. Looking like 3+ hours of travel for the closest one.

Are there any local known clubs/groups that precision shoot or compete in a monthly league that are local or near me? Figure I would get started with a local league/club and then move into official PRS league matches after that.

Check out Triple C Range, they host many matches throughout the year and also have local matches etc... Awesome facility, imo none better in the DFW metroplex.

edit to fix stoopid spelling

Last edited:
Triple C range & Jacob's Plain Gun Club both hold monthly PRS matches. Triple C just got their matches officially on the PRS scoreboard last month and from here on out. I'm not sure if JPGC matches count towards a regional standing or not but they do happen. You can find info for the matches on facebook in the groups: Triple C long range, TxPRC North Members, and PRS central region. Also practiscore will have both events listed a couple weeks before they happen for those clubs. Hope to see you out there

Another vote for a Triple C in Cresson, Texas. Jeremy is a good dude and their matches are fun and challenging.

Thanks for the quick info and replies. Going to spend the next couple of months putting together a rig - Done a little of everything in the past; 3 gun, IDPA style handgun matches, clays - now it's time to learn to shoot some distance ;)

Will Triple C let you come out and watch a match to get a feel for things?

Will Triple C let you come out and watch a match to get a feel for things?

Trust me, take a rifle and some ammo. Everyone I’ve ever seen go to a match anywhere to watch and see what they think.....always wished they would have signed up or brought a rifle. They always seen how the intimidation was just in their head and it’s not too bad just jumping right in.

Even if you just shoot a stage or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Definitely, if you have a rifle and ammo, sign up to shoot the match. Watching a match is booooooorrrrrrrring. I mean, it is boring to be in a squad and waiting on the 10 guys/ladies in front of you.

Jacobs Plain is the 3rd weekend of the month, and Cresson is the 4th. Both clubs count toward regional PRS points provided there are the requisite 25 entries.

If you’re shooting Jacobs, let me know and I can arrange for you to use one of my practice guns if I am at the match. Both groups are highly motivated towards helping new shooters.

Two other nearby clubs are the Anderson Outlaws (Anderson) and the Central matches in Navasota near College Station.

@djarecke is a local gem so to speak. Take him up on it. Shoot both places. Don't just watch. If you come to triple c next weekend pm me.

Trust me, take a rifle and some ammo. Everyone I’ve ever seen go to a match anywhere to watch and see what they think.....always wished they would have signed up or brought a rifle. They always seen how the intimidation was just in their head and it’s not too bad just jumping right in.

Even if you just shoot a stage or two, you’ll be glad you did.

I think I'll head out next weekend just to check out triple c. I just recently moved and havent setup my reloading stuff yet. If I bought some factory ammo, is there a point to shoot a few to get zeroed and figure out a quick dope? If not, ill just come check it out and watch a bit.

@djarecke is a local gem so to speak. Take him up on it. Shoot both places. Don't just watch. If you come to triple c next weekend pm me.
Are you going to be there both days? I'm developing an interest in shooting more vs hunting all year and only shooting to do load development or something. Be cool to meet some people as friendly as you all sound.

I think I'll head out next weekend just to check out triple c. I just recently moved and havent setup my reloading stuff yet. If I bought some factory ammo, is there a point to shoot a few to get zeroed and figure out a quick dope? If not, ill just come check it out and watch a bit.

Are you going to be there both days? I'm developing an interest in shooting more vs hunting all year and only shooting to do load development or something. Be cool to meet some people as friendly as you all sound.

I will be there Saturday the 26th.

No idea on the specifics of that match. Though I’d assume there is somewhere to zero.

Chrono (if you don’t have one I’m sure someone will) and most any software will get you close enough to be on steel except possibly the smallest targets. Close enough you won’t be launching anything over a berm.

+1 Triple C. They have many ranges, from 25 yards out to 2,000 yards.
I went there for a 1 mile class, that was excellent.

Hi All,
I am in Dallas and was looking for a match to observe and found this thread.
I am thinking about buying this rifle: https://seekinsprecision.com/rifles-new/havak-bolt-rifles/havak-bravo.html
I’d love to hear your thoughts on it or another good rifle to start long range and competitive PRS shooting. I am NOT looking for the cheapest gun out there. I am looking for a great gun that I can enjoy for a long time, next step would be full custom.
If anyone has a few guns that they’d let me shoot at a local range I’d pay for range fees and ammo!
Thanks everyone.
@TXAZ @Tunnuh @david8989 @TC308 @ACard @supraguy88t

Reactions: Tunnuh
Hi All,
I am thinking about buying this rifle: https://seekinsprecision.com/rifles-new/havak-bolt-rifles/havak-bravo.html
I’d love to hear your thoughts on it or another good rifle to start long range and competitive PRS shooting. I am NOT looking for the cheapest gun out there. I am looking for a great gun that I can enjoy for a long time, next step would be full custom.
If anyone has a few guns that they’d let me shoot at a local range I’d pay for range fees and ammo!
Thanks everyone.
Go custom if you can, if not Seekins is great. Come to a match and try cycling actions and looking through scopes. There's a match Saturday dtarting at 830 if you can come out. FYI, it takes 15 minutes to get to the pro shop from the gates. Shawn Story is the MD. Message me and you're welcome to come watch what it's like. Just be mindful of safety and everything is pretty fun.

Reactions: Tom1992
Hi All,
Thanks everyone.
Come on out! Triple C has their 2020 season finale tomorrow and a normal club match on Sunday this weekend. Match brief will be at 830 and we should be shooting till 2 or 3. You are more than willing to come out and tag along and watch the stages. Bring some binos and a tripod if you have them or find me and you can use mine so you can see what's going on downrange. PM me if you'd like! There will be plenty of guys willing to let you shoot their rifles once the match is over, no need to pay us for just a few rounds. As for your rifle choice, I'd steer away from seeking as their QC is iffy. For a little more, a masterpiece arms PMR can't be beat! Also the Tikka tac rifles are super nice and a little under the price of the seekins. Hope to see you out there!

Last edited:
Hi All,
Thanks everyone.
Tom, I pretty much shoot every Monday, shoot me a DM with a way we can coordinate and I am glad to let you shoot a couple of my rifles as is my shooting partner. It will give you a chance to shoot both full custom and semi-custom builds. We are also both members so no need to cover our range fees just your own.

Go custom if you can, if not Seekins is great. Come to a match and try cycling actions and looking through scopes. There's a match Saturday dtarting at 830 if you can come out. FYI, it takes 15 minutes to get to the pro shop from the gates. Shawn Story is the MD. Message me and you're welcome to come watch what it's like. Just be mindful of safety and everything is pretty fun.
I appreciate the invite, I sent you a message.

Come on out! Triple C has their 2020 season finale tomorrow and a normal club match on Sunday this weekend. Match brief will be at 830 and we should be shooting till 2 or 3. You are more than willing to come out and tag along and watch the stages. Bring some binos and a tripod if you have them or find me and you can use mine so you can see what's going on downrange. PM me if you'd like! There will be plenty of guys willing to let you shoot their rifles once the match is over, no need to pay us for just a few rounds. As for your rifle choice, I'd steer away from seeking as their QC is iffy. For a little more, a masterpiece arms PMR can't be beat! Also the Tikka tac rifles are super nice and a little under the price of the seekins. Hope to see you out there!
I sent you a message as well.
Tom, I pretty much shoot every Monday, shoot me a DM with a way we can coordinate and I am glad to let you shoot a couple of my rifles as is my shooting partner. It will give you a chance to shoot both full custom and semi-custom builds. We are also both members so no need to cover our range fees just your own.
Thanks for the offer, I sent you a message.

Hi All,
Thanks everyone.
Definitely get out to one of the matches. Just shot my first match at Jacob’s Plains earlier this month it was fantastic. I think the biggest grief you will get is heading out and not shooting. People will damn near line up to let you borrow a rifle and give it a whirl.

mae had several people having this been their first comp and their grouped us with some experienced folks who went above and beyond to help spot, help understand the stages and different ways to tackle them.

definitely just do it

I realize this post was started back in Sept 2020, but I would kinda like to know if anyone is out shooting long range in NE Oklahoma, I have researched all the matches and they all seem 4-8 hours away, so is there any local clubs or ranges you all are going to practice and shoot?

OP