Dallas TX - Closest match to watch? Closest Rifle Club/Local Club to compete?

topslop1

Private
Belligerents
Dec 18, 2010
Hi all, interested in getting started in the hobby/competition. Would love to spectate a match or two before deciding on going all in.

I'm on the PRS site and trying to find some matches near Dallas TX area. Looking like 3+ hours of travel for the closest one.

Are there any local known clubs/groups that precision shoot or compete in a monthly league that are local or near me? Figure I would get started with a local league/club and then move into official PRS league matches after that.

ACard

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2020
Cowtown
Check out Triple C Range, they host many matches throughout the year and also have local matches etc... Awesome facility, imo none better in the DFW metroplex.

edit to fix stoopid spelling

Last edited:

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Belligerents
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
Triple C range & Jacob's Plain Gun Club both hold monthly PRS matches. Triple C just got their matches officially on the PRS scoreboard last month and from here on out. I'm not sure if JPGC matches count towards a regional standing or not but they do happen. You can find info for the matches on facebook in the groups: Triple C long range, TxPRC North Members, and PRS central region. Also practiscore will have both events listed a couple weeks before they happen for those clubs. Hope to see you out there

muddawg

Private
Belligerents
Apr 9, 2009
Bowie, TX
Another vote for a Triple C in Cresson, Texas. Jeremy is a good dude and their matches are fun and challenging.

topslop1

Private
Belligerents
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for the quick info and replies. Going to spend the next couple of months putting together a rig - Done a little of everything in the past; 3 gun, IDPA style handgun matches, clays - now it's time to learn to shoot some distance ;)

Reactions: ACard and david8989

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Will Triple C let you come out and watch a match to get a feel for things?
Trust me, take a rifle and some ammo. Everyone I’ve ever seen go to a match anywhere to watch and see what they think.....always wished they would have signed up or brought a rifle. They always seen how the intimidation was just in their head and it’s not too bad just jumping right in.

Even if you just shoot a stage or two, you’ll be glad you did.

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
Definitely, if you have a rifle and ammo, sign up to shoot the match. Watching a match is booooooorrrrrrrring. I mean, it is boring to be in a squad and waiting on the 10 guys/ladies in front of you.

djarecke

Belligerents
Mar 9, 2013
Jacobs Plain is the 3rd weekend of the month, and Cresson is the 4th. Both clubs count toward regional PRS points provided there are the requisite 25 entries.

If you’re shooting Jacobs, let me know and I can arrange for you to use one of my practice guns if I am at the match. Both groups are highly motivated towards helping new shooters.

Two other nearby clubs are the Anderson Outlaws (Anderson) and the Central matches in Navasota near College Station.

Tunnuh

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 5, 2014
Texas
@djarecke is a local gem so to speak. Take him up on it. Shoot both places. Don't just watch. If you come to triple c next weekend pm me.

TC308

Private
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Trust me, take a rifle and some ammo. Everyone I’ve ever seen go to a match anywhere to watch and see what they think.....always wished they would have signed up or brought a rifle. They always seen how the intimidation was just in their head and it’s not too bad just jumping right in.

Even if you just shoot a stage or two, you’ll be glad you did.
I think I'll head out next weekend just to check out triple c. I just recently moved and havent setup my reloading stuff yet. If I bought some factory ammo, is there a point to shoot a few to get zeroed and figure out a quick dope? If not, ill just come check it out and watch a bit.

@djarecke is a local gem so to speak. Take him up on it. Shoot both places. Don't just watch. If you come to triple c next weekend pm me.
Are you going to be there both days? I'm developing an interest in shooting more vs hunting all year and only shooting to do load development or something. Be cool to meet some people as friendly as you all sound.

Tunnuh

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 5, 2014
Texas
I think I'll head out next weekend just to check out triple c. I just recently moved and havent setup my reloading stuff yet. If I bought some factory ammo, is there a point to shoot a few to get zeroed and figure out a quick dope? If not, ill just come check it out and watch a bit.

Are you going to be there both days? I'm developing an interest in shooting more vs hunting all year and only shooting to do load development or something. Be cool to meet some people as friendly as you all sound.
I will be there Saturday the 26th.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas

No idea on the specifics of that match. Though I’d assume there is somewhere to zero.

Chrono (if you don’t have one I’m sure someone will) and most any software will get you close enough to be on steel except possibly the smallest targets. Close enough you won’t be launching anything over a berm.