• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense recent build quality

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
I was dead set on get a DD in the very near future. I went to a few LGS today to start the finger banging shopping process and I was very unimpressed, especially for the money they want. I currently have 2 DDMK18 SBRs that are a few years old that feel much better in quality. One is still NIB, the other has been shot a bit, but not meticulously maintained, but ran like a rapped ape.

Has something changed? The new ones just feel cheapened up some how.

I was dead set on get a DD in the very near future. I went to a few LGS today to start the finger banging shopping process and I was very unimpressed, especially for the money they want. I currently have 2 DDMK18 SBRs that are a few years old that feel much better in quality. One is still NIB, the other has been shot a bit, but not meticulously maintained, but ran like a rapped ape.

Has something changed? The new ones just feel cheapened up some how.

Well I don’t know if they have changed or not but hate to hear this. I have older DD though I have not fired it much, it ran great and seems of high quality. Have been mulling over to get out of the 6.8 rifle and all the ammo and mags I have and go with another 5.56 to have one caliber in my AR’s and was really leaning DD for another. They are really expensive but I don’t mind paying for quality but if it’s not there, might go another route. I have an aero upper with mid length gas with an ARP barrel and is a real shooter. It’s on an aero lower. Had a guy put it together with all quality parts and have a lot less money in it than a DD. With the money savings I could get ammo and a scope for what the DD would cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned three Daniels and have just one left. I sold my V1 (2012) and Mk18 (2015) but I am keeping my mk12 (2015). I purchased these at or below dealer cost when I was working in the industry. They're all quality rifles and I haven't seen any differences in build quality.

I would never pay "new DD" price for one of their rifles. For what you get and the price you're paying you're basically getting raped.

When you can get a LMT MRP (which actually has innovation built into the system) for the same price that just goes to show how ridiculously inflated DD prices are.

What about them made you feel they were of poor quality? The ones on the shelf at my LGS are like any other DD Ive ever shot or handled. Nothing of poor quality about them to me. Now paying the price they ask for them vs building exactly what I want is an entirely different discussion.

I would never pay "new DD" price for one of their rifles. For what you get and the price you're paying you're basically getting raped.

When you can get a LMT MRP (which actually has innovation built into the system) for the same price that just goes to show how ridiculously inflated DD prices are.

I agree with this 100%.
I use a lot of DD parts in Guns that I have built, because they make quality stuff.
I don’t mind paying top dollar for a quality rifle, either. I have factory built guns from Colt, LMT, and Knight’s.
But Daniel Defense Guns are ridiculously priced for what you get.

To answer the question in the OP, I have a friend who carries DD in his shop. I have handled several of them over the years and I haven’t noticed any lowering of quality that would be obvious just by looking at it. No first hand experience shooting them, however.

Were your current DD rifles built before they went to the plastic ejection port cover and the ridiculous Gucci furniture? That’s all I can think of.

Last edited:
it's hard to explain why and how things feel "cheap" or "quality", but you guys know what i'm talking about. the bolts that hold the rail on are tiny as hell. plastic port cover and safety selector. cycling the bolt wasn't very smooth, it felt gritty, sticky and "cheap". $1000? sure, i'd pay that. $1600 for what it felt like? hell no.

but on the other, just because something doesn't have the initial "fit, finish and feel" doesn't mean it isn't top notch. how many guns out there feel and look great, but are turds for the money?

of the DDs i have, one MK18 is pre plastic shit and shitty furniture. that is the one i have been shooting. the other that is NIB, is metal port cover and safety, but has the gucci furniture.

DD hasn't been worth what they charge for a long time. Build or have one built, way better option. We can get you a parts list if you want, it will be superior to the DD in every way and cheaper.

DD hasn't been worth what they charge for a long time. Build or have one built, way better option. We can get you a parts list if you want, it will be superior to the DD in every way and cheaper.
I was looking at a DD yesterday . It did seem pretty expensive . I would not mind a parts list if you have the time . Thanks

Sure thing, what kind of budget and intended uses do you have? For example, hunting, benchrest, home defense, classes, 3gun, highpower, plinking, etc? Those dictate the parts selection.

Seems like you're comparing $1600 DD to $600 Palmento State or Stag ARs and the DD has better quality, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Rolling your own is the best way to go. Except I wouldn't call it building so much as assembling, the hardest part is not losing a detent spring and having enough wits not to mar the finish on the lower if you need to pound a pin in.

I can't see why anyone would spend premium price to get a basic gun with unexceptional Mil Spec parts? At the very least put a decent trigger group in and use the JP captured spring in the buffer. That's $300+ right there and it's robbery to have to put that into an already expensive rifle.

Aero Precision makes great parts and entire rifles, and their stuff is rebranded and sold upscale quite a bit. Armalite (ie the originators) has new management and makes some nice rifles. And there is always JP, which are expensive but at least you get something for the money.

Geez for $1600 you could build a state of the art AR with a Proof barrel and CF handguard or two solid duty rifles for SHFT or a fancy AR10.

Then I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming a similar budget to the DD. Build yourself, or pay an LGS or ADCO to assemble the following parts:

Upper

- Barrel: Triarc Track 2.0 11.5in $250. You'll build as a pistol first, then possibly SBR. Or you can get a 14.5in Lothar Walther instead and pin an extended A2 if you really don't want to go through the process, but I'd recommend shorter for HD.

- Upper: Aero no FA $60 or FA included $70.

- Handguard: ALG EMR V2 or Aero Quantum 10in (12in if you go with the 14.5in barrel) your preference $100.

- Gas Block: Superlative Arms clamp on .750 (or SLR if the SAs are out of stock) $90.

- Bolt Carrier Group: LMT Enhanced $325.

- Gas Tube: Any carbine length (mid length if you go 14.5in barrel) SS $15.

- Charging Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 $80.

- Muzzle Device: Get a cheap A2 for now ($8). Grab a suppressor down the road, I'd recommend a Q Trash Panda or SiCo Omega with Area 419 QD mount and flat end cap as of now.

- Optic (not in budget): A Vortex, PA, Sig, or Holosun will probably be fine for HD as long as you check it. If you want bombproof I'd recommend the Aimpoint T2.

- Light: streamlight ProTac $95.

Lower

- Lower Receiver: Aero, Anderson or PSA $40.

- Small Parts: Red Barn Armory or Sons of Liberty Gunworks (or PSA if you have to) LPK $35.

- Trigger: Hiperfire EDT $60, or if you want to bump up the budget the Hiperfire Eclipse $199 which is well worth it.

- Buffer Tube+Buffer Spring+Weight+Stock: BCM A5 kit ($99) + brace of your choice (SBs are nice) while you wait on SBR stamp, then add a Roger's Super Stock or MFT minimalist $35.

- Grip: BCM or similar grip $19 (personal preference part).

Accessories/Misc

- Mags: ASC if you reload, Lancer for factory ammo.

- Lube: Slip 2000 EWL.

- Cleaning kit: Real Avid AR $35

- Sling: Frank Proctor WotG sling $19

Comes in right at $1400 for the rifle alone. Will massively outperform anything off the shelf close to the budget in every metric.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Then I'd recommend something along these lines, assuming a similar budget to the DD. Build yourself, or pay an LGS or ADCO to assemble the following parts:

Upper

- Barrel: Triarc Track 2.0 11.5in $250. You'll build as a pistol first, then possibly SBR. Or you can get a 14.5in Lothar Walther instead and pin an extended A2 if you really don't want to go through the process, but I'd recommend shorter for HD.

- Upper: Aero no FA $60 or FA included $70.

- Handguard: ALG EMR V2 or Aero Quantum 10in (12in if you go with the 14.5in barrel) your preference $100.

- Gas Block: Superlative Arms clamp on .750 (or SLR if the SAs are out of stock) $90.

- Bolt Carrier Group: LMT Enhanced $325.

- Gas Tube: Any carbine length (mid length if you go 14.5in barrel) SS $15.

- Charging Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 $80.

- Muzzle Device: Get a cheap A2 for now ($8). Grab a suppressor down the road, I'd recommend a Q Trash Panda or SiCo Omega with Area 419 QD mount and flat end cap as of now.

- Optic (not in budget): A Vortex, PA, Sig, or Holosun will probably be fine for HD as long as you check it. If you want bombproof I'd recommend the Aimpoint T2.

- Light: streamlight ProTac $95.

Lower

- Lower Receiver: Aero, Anderson or PSA $40.

- Small Parts: Red Barn Armory or Sons of Liberty Gunworks (or PSA if you have to) LPK $35.

- Trigger: Hiperfire EDT $60, or if you want to bump up the budget the Hiperfire Eclipse $199 which is well worth it.

- Buffer Tube+Buffer Spring+Weight+Stock: BCM A5 kit ($99) + brace of your choice (SBs are nice) while you wait on SBR stamp, then add a Roger's Super Stock or MFT minimalist $35.

- Grip: BCM or similar grip $19 (personal preference part).

Accessories/Misc

- Mags: ASC if you reload, Lancer for factory ammo.

- Lube: Slip 2000 EWL.

- Cleaning kit: Real Avid AR $35

- Sling: Frank Proctor WotG sling $19

Comes in right at $1400 for the rifle alone. Will massively outperform anything off the shelf close to the budget in every metric.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the list !

DD are nice rifle on par with most AR's out there. Noveske's barrels may be a bit more accurate .Daniel Defense is a top notch producer of parts and complete rifles. Their product quality, craftsmanship and customer service is excellent. While all rifle makers may have an issue from time to time, you can buy with confidence from Daniel Defense. Spend once, cry once.

it's hard to explain why and how things feel "cheap" or "quality", but you guys know what i'm talking about. the bolts that hold the rail on are tiny as hell. plastic port cover and safety selector. cycling the bolt wasn't very smooth, it felt gritty, sticky and "cheap". $1000? sure, i'd pay that. $1600 for what it felt like? hell no.

but on the other, just because something doesn't have the initial "fit, finish and feel" doesn't mean it isn't top notch. how many guns out there feel and look great, but are turds for the money?

of the DDs i have, one MK18 is pre plastic shit and shitty furniture. that is the one i have been shooting. the other that is NIB, is metal port cover and safety, but has the gucci furniture.

I just completed a new build with the DD5V2 .308, now this is my first DD gun but upon receiving it I know exactly what you mean. I couldn't believe they would use plastic for a part as well used as the safety, but maybe that's just me. In upgrading a lot on the gun I ended up switching it out for a Battle Arms Ambi. The grainy feeling was also there, and I found it was coming from the actual charging handle, they lubed up the bolt but not that piece and with its coating rubbing against the coating of the gun, rubbed a bit off real quick. I ended up stripping the whole gun down and did a full lube job with frog lube and now there is no problems at all. With that being said I think that the quality is there (the safety was the only thing that bothered me), there is just no work on presenting you with an out the box ready to go type of gun. But a little work on your own and the quality with shine through.