• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dans Custom Guns NC

BruteNasty

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Is anyone for familiar with him? I talked to him on the phone a lot and he seems to know what he's doing, but I was hoping to find some good references before I start dropping a lot of money on my first precision rifle.

Reactions: lostnwilderness
Another +1 for Joel pendergraft. Joel is top notch and there are quite a few on here who will vouch for him

I've used him...built me and a buddy matching .300 weatherbys. Preditor actions, Brux barrels, bighorn stocks, timey triggers. Accuracy is there yes 5 shots under 1/2 with hand loads. But he forgot to engrave the barrels with caliber. And there is a few other minor, major things??? If I lived close by and could drive to him yea I'd use him. But to ship a gun and need it to be 100% well.... I'm not bad mouthing in any way, but I gotta be honest with you. I think he is still learning some stuff?!? Awesome machinist, isn't automatically awesome gunsmith.......!

I've used him...built me and a buddy matching .300 weatherbys. Preditor actions, Brux barrels, bighorn stocks, timey triggers. Accuracy is there yes 5 shots under 1/2 with hand loads. But he forgot to engrave the barrels with caliber. And there is a few other minor, major things??? If I lived close by and could drive to him yea I'd use him. But to ship a gun and need it to be 100% well.... I'm not bad mouthing in any way, but I gotta be honest with you. I think he is still learning some stuff?!? Awesome machinist, isn't automatically awesome gunsmith.......!

He's about 20 minutes down the road. How did he handle the issues you had?

He drove way out of his way to pick up the guns and engrave them... The other issues i live with. I didnt bring them to his attention? Super nice guy... For a weatherby gun shoots like a lazer.

I have had Steve Roe of Apache Machine and Custom building my pistols and rifles for 6 years, He has never built anything for me that wasn't an absolute hammer. His XP pistols dominated Region II in IHMSA, they could not be beaten. I have never known him to build one that had a problem wowing it's owner. His attention to detail is second to none and his work is nothing short of art. He builds every gun like it is his own, he is the most rabid perfectionist I have ever known. There is an astounding difference between a gun plumber and a true rifle builder. I drive 2 hours to his shop quite often and would drive 6 if I had to, his work is worth every mile. I had him make me a couple drill sockets for annealing brass a few years ago. His instructions were to just turn em down and ream them out, quick and dirty. Went to pick them up and there they were, bright and shiny, complete with an 11deg crown, ENGRAVED with that cool assed Apache symbol. If he would go to those lengths for something that simply holds a piece of brass in a flame, imagine the lengths he would go to where it matters.

I know Dan Glover and his work personally. I send him customers when my plate is to full to handle. Dan is a good bolt action gunsmith and I would not hesitate to send him one of my personal rifles to work on. He has only been in business a couple of years. He stands behind his work and I have never heard a complaint. He has been a farrier all his adult life. He is good with his hands and metal. His wife passed last fall and he has had some healing to do. I respect that he loved his wife that much. Dan is doing less horse shoeing and more rifle work now. I saw him last Friday and he looked great.
Nat Lambeth
Custom Guns and Ammunition, L.L.C.

Last edited:
Reactions: lostnwilderness
Thanks for the response Dusty! I'm gonna get this build started soon with Dan I can't wait to get it

+1 Dan builds lazers. He takes great pride in getting it right and in doing it the right way. To top it off, super nice guy.

9.5yr thread resurrection.

That has to be approaching a record of some kind.