• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Data book options (print and digital)

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I've done a bit of looking into options for data books and Impact Data Books seems like the top option. As a new shooter I'm still looking into what all I will need in a package to log my rounds. IDB has some nice premade options. Are there any better alternatives? How about in the digital realm? Any files I can print (at least while I deliberate on a long-term solution) or reliable apps (iOS preferred) that let me store all the data digitally? Thanks

Impact is an excellent option for data recording. I know the owner, graduated Scout Sniper School with him and was in the same platoon later on. He knows data recording, what is necessary and what isn't, and developed an excellent product that works on the firing line as much as data analysis post firing.

The best start is to get one of their complete books in the shooting discipline you're interested in and learn how to start using it. They're worth it for the additional pages included detailing wind calls, ranging, etc as well. If you're not sure what type of shooting you're going to focus on, get the premade or Sniper's Hide version to get the ball rolling. You can always add pages later but I recommend ordering additional pages if you know the types of targets you prefer to shoot.

As for digital, there's some options out there in conjunction with ballistic programs that are especially helpful in documenting shot group sizes on my phone, but more often than not I prefer old style pencil and paper for the general shooting session. I really recommend the Rite in Rain type and a good mechanical pencil for fine markings no matter the weather. The phone is just too small for ease of use behind the gun other than basic ballistic computer use, and I'm not savvy on bringing the iPad to the firing line.

Made my own, have used impact and storm, I like the impact version with the shooters diary

I like the binder type where pages can be added/removed/organized. I started with storm tactical but have been adding my own pages and printing on rite in rain pages.

I also like to be able to go with less structure and keep a 4x6 rite in rain spiral notebook that I record everything done to or with the rifle. I can document every time I have shot/ cleaned/ maintained/ or modified the rifle with which ammo, cleaning products or parts.

I'm a programmer and have been toying with the idea of writing a databook app but didn't know what kind of market there would be. Personally I'm a pencil and paper kind of guy when it comes to databooks but I also think it would be cool to be able to store info in your phone/tablet kinda like a backup. On the other hand a lot of people do like to go all digital. I may have to look into getting a start on this sooner than later...thanks for the reminder.

Also, to answer the question, I've made my own. I use shooting voodoo and bound it all together with triad tactical data book cover.

Adam

Not to hijack this thread, but figures here was a ok place to ask rather than a new thread. Will a data book benifit a new long range shooter who does not load his own ammo and is not competing?(yet). Plan to shoot from 100-1000 yards

Not to hijack this thread, but figures here was a ok place to ask rather than a new thread. Will a data book benifit a new long range shooter who does not load his own ammo and is not competing?(yet). Plan to shoot from 100-1000 yards
Yes it will. It will be a diary of your rifle a any loads etc... especially what your rifle does at different temperatures, altitude, wind conditions etc...

It will but the end result is to remove as many variables as possible, making your own ammo will reduce quite a few variables.

Bringing this back...anyone have any good recommendations for an android data book app? I've been saving my notes in a regular note program, but would like something more taylored for shooting....

I built my own through OneNote for iPhone. I use that in conjunction with an Impact data book