• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dating a Redfield Accurange 3x9 by serial number

stretmd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2008
Orange Beach, Alabama
www.obfd.org
I have looked and searched all over this site as well as the web trying to find out when my Redfield Accurange 3x9 was made by using the serial numbers to date it. I have called ABO, Ironsight, Leupold, The USMC National Museum, a buddy that works as an Armorer at Quantico and even left a message at GAP (waiting on their call back)and so far no one can tell me when it was made.

It has the rounded ends (not a widefield) with the 600yard tombstone in gloss black, sn F97156...any guesses? Somebody has got to know something!

Just curious as it looks old and is in great condition and is about to get mounted on my rifle.

Thanks as always for the help,

sam

Re: Dating a Redfield Accurange 3x9 by serial number

What is written on the side? redfield 3x9, Does is have "I" tube written on the side as well. Pics may help.

I am not sure if there is a list of age by serial number but there are some things that can/may help date it. If it were green it would be super nice.

Accurange scopes pop up on ebay and such from time to time. They were sold to the commerical market... so not many of them would have "military" heritage.

This same scope (or one just like it) seems to live on ebay.... it has been listed and relisted for months. The price may be "too high", I guess.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Redfield-3x9-Rifle-S...=item27acede9cd

The Redfield scopes are covered in the book "One Round War"...you may want to order a copy.

I have two early Redfields:
Widefield low pro 3x9 standard crosshair
and a Redfield 3x9 "I" tube also standard crosshair. (will go on my M40 clone)

I wouold pay more for the accurange but not the $600 that the one on ebay is listed for.

IMO they are great old scopes... so enjoy it or sell it to someone for their M40 clone and pocket the $$$.

Yeah, if you look in Senich's book they didn't use any with the gloss finish. I have one to that I have thought about painting.And that one on Ebay is in nice condition but I doubt that was ever a real "Sniper" scope.

I have seen a few of the Green Redfield scopes and they all started with "F" in the SN. All of those scopes were built in late 1966 and early 1967. No guarantees, but if yours says 1" tube on the side I would guess they are from the same time period. I have never been able to find an official SN database for these, but I have collected some SN's over the years.

Has anyone seen a green one for sale? What are they going for these days?

Just Redfield 3x9 on the side, nothing else. I wish it were Green, haven't seen to many of those floating around anywhere.

Mine is exactly like the one referenced on ebay, I just got a MUCH better deal...right time, right price.

I have the book on the way, waiting for it to arrive as I type.

I too have a Redfield 3x9 Widefield Accurange I put on my M40 Commemorative. I'm going to put this one on my M40A1 clone to finish it and then take it to the range and shoot it until I can't pull the trigger anymore, rest and repeat for years to come.

Got some pictures up in the Gallery of both and will be posting more once I get the scope mounted and a few down range.

Thanks again Gentlemen for the information.

-sam

Re: Dating a Redfield Accurange 3x9 by serial numb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone seen a green one for sale? What are they going for these days? </div></div>
I have seen three for sale in the past 5 years. Two were NOS and one was electrpenciled with the SN. All sold fo $4k+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This same scope (or one just like it) seems to live on ebay.... it has been listed and relisted for months. The price may be "too high", I guess.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Redfield-3x9-Rifle-S...=item27acede9cd
</div></div>

If you look real close at this scope the knurling on the power ring isnt even correct. Neither is the shape of the occular bell as it graduates down to the tube. Gen 3? I dont know but I know its not correct for 600 dollars.

You know I looked at that again and that is not a Denver Redfield. If it was it would have "Redfield Gunsight Co. Denver, Colo. Patented" rolled in between the knurling on the ocular end. That scope is probably a much later version? Japan?

Scope kinda of looks a little bit like my Satin accurange pictured below, but there are some differences, also the duplex reticle is not correct for the accurange
Redfield3x9017.jpg

Turret housing similar to the one used on the ART tel scopes, but not similar to the gloss accurange scopes made in the same time frame.
Redfield3x9019.jpg

Not sure if the guy is trying to rip someone off, hopefully if you were going to build an M40 clone you would do a little research and realise the reticle is incorrect and the scope is not correct.
Marty