• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dave Ramsey Financial Peace

Lets not forget that Ramsey claimed bankruptcy and had all of his debts forgiven
the hell you say??? so, let’s just throw out all the solid advice he gives out (as i have heard him say “the advice your grandparents would have given you”) and just dismiss all the good he has done. in fact,

BURN THAT MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

alright...now that i got that out of my system.....

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Ramsey is good for a lot of people that want money simplified. But not for people that are good with money.

Being debt free costs you money...if you don’t take on debt you will accumulate wealth at a lower rate.
Example...let’s say you have a 3% mortgage of 300k. If you pay that off you are not contributing money into an investment (401k, income property, IRAs, that can earn more than that. You are basically locking in a rate of return on those dollars at 3%.
Inflation is roughly 2%. So by paying off that mortgage early you are building wealth at 1% on those dollars.

If you instead take that money and invest it anywhere reasonable (appreciating assets or income producing assets) you will leverage your money to create wealth. It’s math.

People don’t understand there is a rate of return attached to every form of a dollar...cash has a negative 2% ROI because of inflation...paying off debt locks in ROI at whatever the interest rate is...

If you are tight with money and patient you can and probably should own debt.

He’s got great koolaid but it is in no way the best way for everyone.

Ramsey is good for a lot of people that want money simplified. But not for people that are good with money.

Being debt free costs you money...if you don’t take on debt you will accumulate wealth at a lower rate.
Example...let’s say you have a 3% mortgage of 300k. If you pay that off you are not contributing money into an investment (401k, income property, IRAs, that can earn more than that. You are basically locking in a rate of return on those dollars at 3%.
Inflation is roughly 2%. So by paying off that mortgage early you are building wealth at 1% on those dollars.

If you instead take that money and invest it anywhere reasonable (appreciating assets or income producing assets) you will leverage your money to create wealth. It’s math.

People don’t understand there is a rate of return attached to every form of a dollar...cash has a negative 2% ROI because of inflation...paying off debt locks in ROI at whatever the interest rate is...

Ramsey teaches something like that. But so does almost every other financial advisor.

I've discussed this with people who have more letters after their name than I do. Ramsey does not recommend to pay off the mortgage per se. He recommends eliminating all debt except that one, but also to possess a mortgage you can truly afford. 15 year fixed that is no more than 25% of your net pay. You invest once you reach the debt level of only a mortgage. I disagree with this as well, but he does cater to those individuals who can't get a grip on finances. Using emotions is what works for those people.

Where people get retarded is refinancing to obtain more funds for whatever (HELOC) or financing more than you truly need to obtain a sum of funds. You'll soon see them attempting to flex on social media about what they've purchased, their vacation, etc. when they're paying interest on it for their term length.

Hogan has a book that studied what they claim is 10k millionaires and how they did it. Most, to the tune of 90%, did it themselves without an inheritance, with a paid off mortgage and a healthy retirement savings. He's not saying to eliminate the mortgage now, but to eliminate it in the 10-15 year range. This reflects back on the slow steady wealth growth.

One thing I have realized is that buying things doesn’t create happiness, if anything it creates stress. People say “well I may as well buy X because I’ll enjoy it more than having the money”. Would you trade a modest $250k brokerage account that is making you $25-50k/yr for a new truck, boat, and camper that is depreciating at the same rate? Lol, no you wouldn’t. So why would you get payments that not only give you negative appreciation, but costs you interest for the privilege of the having the depreciating assets? Makes zero sense. Sell that junk and start growing your wealth.

This dude gets it. Most don't realize the opportunity cost from buying 'things.' When checking, savings, and investment accounts start looking like telephone numbers, you start to lose interest in 'things.'

Do you know anyone wealthy who arrived there by using credit cards points?
Credit never impressed me. Straight cash homie.

Reactions: lte82
Paying off your mortgage is not about return, but about security. Someone mentioned the freedom from worry that comes with financial security. Having a place to live that is yours is a big part of that.

Remember that after you get a mortgage, they bundle them and SELL them to investors who are happy to take that stable 3% rate of return... like the people that are happy to take 1.4% or less on a US treasury. Ever ask why those investors would take 1.4% vs some higher return that "earns more"?

The size of the US mortgage market in 2020 was ~ $11 Trillion... that is a lot of investors who are getting that 3% from someone...

The market doesn't always go up, and while Dave Ramsey uses 10% return on investments that is not always the return in the market...

It is great if you are getting an awesome return on invested money - everyone loves that... but there is an old saying about not gambling with money you can't afford to lose... and having that stability of a place to live, and a reserve fund for emergencies builds a solid foundation so that WHEN there is a market downturn you are able to weather it and eventually continue making nice returns.

Sure - people good with money do not need his advice. They should move on to the next station on the dial. But a large number of the "...bububut I only use debt as a tool!” crowd are fooling themselves. They shuffle their debt from one place to another in some grand scheme to minimize their service costs, but never make any forward progress. We all know these people; they're constantly talking about refinancing their house and then using the reduced monthly payment to justify taking out another loan on a depreciating asset. Debt Club is like reverse Fight Club (Rule #1: you always talk about Debt Club). Those are the people that need Ramsey.

Paying off your mortgage is not about return, but about security.

From a security standpoint paying off your mortgage is great, but not at the expense of your investments that typically generate 5x the ROR of your mortgage debt. If you invested $2000/month instead of paying an extra $2000/month towards your mortgage, you'd actually be able to pay it off sooner.

I guess the mortgage question comes down to individual situation... I certainly agree that you should be maxing out your 401K, and 529 ( if you have kids ) since those amounts are limited per year by the govt... vs. prioritizing paying off your mortgage...

if you are younger, you should be prioritizing investing and leveraging tax advantaged programs like 401k or Roth because of the compounding you get over time

on the other hand I am not remortgaging my house and using that money to invest or pulling equity out of my house so I can invest it and hopefully get a better return than my mortgage rate...

if you have a guaranteed, 15% return that is immune to volatility and loss than sure... but stocks are not guaranteed returns...

For bad times... think about your monthly/yearly expenses... most people do not have a good idea of their monthly / yearly expenses. Lower monthly expenses ( like not having a house payment ) makes whatever savings you have last longer...

Reactions: W54/XM-388
When you compare yourself to Dave, your comparing apples to oranges. I've never declared bankruptcy, but have remodeled 2 homes and rolled my investments into my 3rd. Wife and I had to put up huge money for my son's adoption (it was to us at the time).

It really depends on what age and debt to wealth ratio you start at. Can't compare a 25 yr old kid working 80hrs a week to a 45 year old man with 4 kids and a stay at home wife.

Save for tomorrow, but don't forget to live for today. Try to raise your children better than you were, and try not to be a shit stain on the fabric of life. Donate to your Family and Community. You should have many people who are not blood related, in your inner circle. They are also your Family.

Dave talks a good game about God and does a little Bible thumping, but actions speak louder than words. If Dave has helped you... great. He certainly isn't preaching anything more than common sense.

From a security standpoint paying off your mortgage is great, but not at the expense of your investments that typically generate 5x the ROR of your mortgage debt. If you invested $2000/month instead of paying an extra $2000/month towards your mortgage, you'd actually be able to pay it off

Couldn’t disagree more with you. I was basically doing what you were saying, servicing debt to have money in the stock market. I was gambling with money that wasn’t truly mine, and so are you. The realization hit me like a lightning bolt. The market will rise and fall but my debt is (was) concrete. Could you pay off all your debt if you wanted today?

So having zero debt, six months of your operating expenses, purposing every dollar of your income, saving for retirement, saving for education, and properly insuring yourself is someone who isn’t smart with money? I beg to differ.

Last edited:
From a security standpoint paying off your mortgage is great, but not at the expense of your investments that typically generate 5x the ROR of your mortgage debt. If you invested $2000/month instead of paying an extra $2000/month towards your mortgage, you'd actually be able to pay it off sooner.

Great advice - for people who are disciplined enough to employ it. Observation and data suggests that an exceedingly small number of people are capable of doing this correctly, so the masses need a different prescription.

Great advice - for people who are disciplined enough to employ it. Observation and data suggests that an exceedingly small number of people are capable of doing this correctly, so the masses need a different prescription.
Also, even for the disciplined, if a bear market arises, your plans are sunk!

Reactions: E. Bryant
Couldn’t disagree more with you. I was basically doing what you were saying, servicing debt to have money in the stock market. I was gambling with money that wasn’t truly mine, and so are you. The realization hit me like a lightning bolt. The market will rise and fall but my debt is (was) concrete. Could you pay off all your debt if you wanted today?

So having zero debt, six months of your operating expenses, purposing every dollar of your income, saving for retirement, saving for education, and properly insuring yourself is someone who isn’t smart with money? I beg to differ.

4-5 years ago, no. Today, I could pay it off 3x over. I'm not 40 yet, so I think I'm doing something right.

Also, even for the disciplined, if a bear market arises, your plans are sunk!

100% true. I don't have all that much in stocks at the moment actually, less than 20%. Most of it is now tied up in a business that is generating the vast majority of my income and has weathered all of the covid stuff. I'm in a totally different position than most now, but I wasn't 5 years ago. I'm just saying what has worked for me. It may or may not work for anyone else, and there's a likely chance I just got lucky. I just know that if you can get your spending under control, invest the maximum amount you can afford to after paying off your "bad" debt, you'll actually have the money ready to go when investment opportunities arise that you can capitalize on.

My wife's cousin and her family have always had a hard time saving money, They both worked decent jobs and should have been able to weather almost any storm. However, they seem to have the need to keep up with the Jones, the Smiths, and the Rockefellers. They were able to buy a home because they got a large settlement from a car accident. They buy used cars and finance them for 6-7 years. They are now 62 and 59, so what do they do? They go out and buy a large RV (financed of course) and are now talking about retirement.

I asked them recently how things are going and how have they planned for retirement. He looked me right in the eye and said Social Security. I just about smacked him. They still have 10-12 years on their mortgage, neither have any retirement benefits and I'm guessing less than $1000 in the bank.

These are the type of people that no one can help. I set them up with a plan years ago and they made it maybe 1 or 2 months.

This goes out to the young ones here on the Hide. Start saving now. You're never too young to start saving for retirement, but you can be too old. Those are the folks who are eating crackers and cat food.

Reactions: lte82
My wife's cousin and her family have always had a hard time saving money, They both worked decent jobs and should have been able to weather almost any storm. However, they seem to have the need to keep up with the Jones, the Smiths, and the Rockefellers. They were able to buy a home because they got a large settlement from a car accident. They buy used cars and finance them for 6-7 years. They are now 62 and 59, so what do they do? They go out and buy a large RV (financed of course) and are now talking about retirement.

I asked them recently how things are going and how have they planned for retirement. He looked me right in the eye and said Social Security. I just about smacked him. They still have 10-12 years on their mortgage, neither have any retirement benefits and I'm guessing less than $1000 in the bank.

These are the type of people that no one can help. I set them up with a plan years ago and they made it maybe 1 or 2 months.

This goes out to the young ones here on the Hide. Start saving now. You're never too young to start saving for retirement, but you can be too old. Those are the folks who are eating crackers and cat food.

I know a ton of people like this. How many times have you seen guys in the PX “selling to pay for X Y or Z bill”. Buying toys isn’t an investment strategy. 🤷‍♂️

I know a ton of people like this. How many times have you seen guys in the PX “selling to pay for X Y or Z bill”. Buying toys isn’t an investment strategy. 🤷‍♂️

It can be something of a saving account. Think of it as buying a toy, playing with it for 10-40 years and being able to sell it for more money than when you bought it. I think it's a good investment. Can't play with your bank statement, you're broker isn't available to play a round of golf with you. But you can take out your rifle every weekend, have fun for a couple of hours (rinse and repeat for 10-40 years), then when you're ready to retire and you want to divest some of your collection, it's there and probably not losing any money and hopefully making some money on the transaction.

It can be something of a saving account. Think of it as buying a toy, playing with it for 10-40 years and being able to sell it for more money than when you bought it. I think it's a good investment. Can't play with your bank statement, you're broker isn't available to play a round of golf with you. But you can take out your rifle every weekend, have fun for a couple of hours (rinse and repeat for 10-40 years), then when you're ready to retire and you want to divest some of your collection, it's there and probably not losing any money and hopefully making some money on the transaction.

Nothing wrong with toys at all. Just look in my garage and gun safe lol. But I don’t have to sell anything to pay for unexpected bills either. You need true liquid cash before you need toys.

Nothing wrong with toys at all. Just look in my garage and gun safe lol. But I don’t have to sell anything to pay for unexpected bills either. You need true liquid cash before you need toys.

Yes, that's true. Toys should not be your only means of "investing".

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
If your bank doesn’t protect you from unauthorized charges/fraud, you should get a new bank.

But, yeah, I pay for everything with a cash back card from citi. It’s just setup to auto-pay the balance every month. It’s silly to not take back some of that 2.5-3% of every purchase you make. Every vendor is cooking that into their prices whether you pay cash, credit, or debit...
Agreed. I pay off my credit cards every week but my wife and I use a cash rewards card for every single purchase we make. Over the course of time it adds up. Over a single year, I bought an AXMC just with reward money from my credit card. I also disagree with him not taking out a mortgage and buying a house with cash. That’s just not feasible for most people. I also leverage my assets for investments that I want to make. He would strongly advise against that. But overall, he offers simple no BS advice that most people would greatly benefit from.

Yes, that's true. Toys should not be your only means of "investing".
I don’t think toys should ever be thought of as investments unless it’s rare art or rare cars...lol. I have been investing since high school and some do those accounts that had a measly 2k in 1996 are worth almost 80k now. I seriously doubt many rifles or guns can do that. But you also have to enjoy life. You can’t be worried about investing every penny for future growth. Live a little.

It can be something of a saving account. <snip> you can take out your rifle every weekend, have fun for a couple of hours (rinse and repeat for 10-40 years), then when you're ready to retire and you want to divest some of your collection, it's there and probably not losing any money and hopefully making some money on the transaction.

:ROFLMAO: Not losing any money? At today's going rate, you'd be hemorrhaging money.

Every time I take my toys, um I mean my "Investments" to the range for a couple hours "to have fun," I burn up at approx. $65 of ammo (and I handload!). If I only did that one time every month for "10-40 years" the first 10 years would cost me nearly $8000 in ammo alone, not including about 2-3 rebarrels in there...

That's some peculiar logic you got there.

I’m not saying you aren’t smart with money. Don’t know your situationis your risk tolerance or your time line to “retirement”. You shouldn’t care if the market rises or falls...unless you are going to or have began to harvest your assets.

Many people value no debt over wealth accumulation. They are willing to settle for lower rate of accumulation and a lower end number for the peace of mind. I am a person that prefers to leverage myself...my abilities and my assets to create wealth at a faster pace.

I don’t gamble with money. Any investment I make has due process from small businesses to income properties to the equity markets. Diversification is critical. Could I pay off all my debt...probably...would I want to? Nope.

I drive crappy vehicles and live in a modest home. But I live comfortably. I’m frugal and prefer to put my money to use.

I set goals when I was young and have been hitting those goals faster than expected because I use other people’s money to my advantage. Two of my small businesses wouldn’t be possible at the age I started them without leverage and debt.

The point of my post: personal finances is not one size fits all...Ramsey is great for some people but horrible for others.

I’ve never actually listened watched or read Ramsey. I posted based off of about half dozen people that I know that took his program and explained what they were doing. And for several of those couples going debt free was shackling them and capping their potentials.

I'm extremely happy I read his book 3 years ago granted I dont agree with him now but for the masses his strategy works. His book got me set on a path to start learning more about finances. I like the automatic millionaire better than Ramseys but to each their own. I'd highly recommend Tony robbins money master the game.

I was lucky that my father in law encouraged me at a young age to get financially literate. I started at 23 and now have 6 months of living expenses set aside, no debt besides my mortgage. I have a rental property producing income. My tsp isn't maxed out but it's at 15 percent, 529 plans are set up for my kids, 3 separate investment accounts for short, mid and long term and working on a second property as an airbnb. I'm now debating on going back into debt to get a lathe and mil to start a side hobby as a part time gunsmith.

Lets not forget that Ramsey claimed bankruptcy and had all of his debts forgiven
His bankruptcy was the genesis of his whole system. Before, he was leveraging debt, flipping real estate, and using “other people’s money”. That’s what led to his bankruptcy.

Meh, I've got no kids and little family left. Theyll be dead before I am and once I die, who's that bank gonna get their money from? I'm living it up on their dime, suckers.:LOL:

Reactions: marketermac
Dave is a masterclass in beginners financial literacy. I recommend "The Money Guys" on Youtube once you're done with babysteps. I listen to Dave to avoid making expensive mistakes. I listen to money guys to learn how to build and manage my wealth.

Take advantage of all tax AVOIDANCE schemes offered by USA.Gov
- IRA
- HSA
- Other tax credits
- Long-term capital gains vs short-term

Yes your savings will go up at the expense of money on hand no but that sweet sweet benefit of knowing how little USA.Gov bilked you is priceless.

Ramsey just packaged proven financial planning in a bow. I don't know of anything he recommends that is new or his own work. Any good financial planner should be able to help you. But you have to be willing to help yourself first. No amount of coaching is going to change your intentions until you are ready to change.

Ramsey just packaged proven financial planning in a bow. I don't know of anything he recommends that is new or his own work. Any good financial planner should be able to help you. But you have to be willing to help yourself first. No amount of coaching is going to change your intentions until you are ready to change.

He says a lot of decent things that can really help folks in financial trouble.

I would however as always say that fanatically following a specific Dogma without exception can often be sub optimal.

Financial freedom is the best. You can tell a whole bunch of people to eat dicks when you have financial freedom.
Your not Financial Free at all in this country as long as the fiat money system is still in place. Make silver money again!

I used to be an ELP for the Ramsey program and still work very closely with his financial planners.

For the financially illiterate in the middle class, it can be great. By my guess, 80% of American's would do well following Dave's plan. He does some SERIOUS financial damage with the other 20% Nothing about financial planning lends itself to a one size fits all approach. You can have the same income as your neighbor, live in the same exact house with the same sized family and same bills and have totally different optimal financial strategies based on your preferences regarding estate planning, when you want to retire, your desired standard of living in retirement, etc. I'm not a financial planner either. I'm a cpa that charges flat fees for tax prep/planning. I have nothing to gain or lose either way. I just feel the same way about some clients that follow Ramsey as I do about puppies playing in traffic. It's hard to watch.

Dave lumps everyone into the same bucket and it drives me fuckin' nuts. I would have clients pulling seven figures a year on short lived contracts in their late 50's that insisted on contributing to ROTHs because Dave said so. Right now I have people that are making extra mortgage payments on a 2.9% 30 year note because they're at that step in the program... 5%+ annual inflation rates be damned.

Sometimes it's like dealing with members of the People's Temple. One day Dave's wife is going to bang the mailman and he's going to lose his shit and instruct his followers to drink a cocktail of rat poison and kool-aid to catch the financial freedom space bus to the pearly gates. People will listen and it'll be Jonestown all across America. Tens of thousands will die in the worst mass suicide in American history. You heard it here first.

always in a peaceful state of mind unless I forgot to load ammo for range day then It's a slight rush to make some .

I used to be an ELP for the Ramsey program and still work very closely with his financial planners.

For the financially illiterate in the middle class, it can be great. By my guess, 80% of American's would do well following Dave's plan. He does some SERIOUS financial damage with the other 20% Nothing about financial planning lends itself to a one size fits all approach. You can have the same income as your neighbor, live in the same exact house with the same sized family and same bills and have totally different optimal financial strategies based on your preferences regarding estate planning, when you want to retire, your desired standard of living in retirement, etc. I'm not a financial planner either. I'm a cpa that charges flat fees for tax prep/planning. I have nothing to gain or lose either way. I just feel the same way about some clients that follow Ramsey as I do about puppies playing in traffic. It's hard to watch.

Dave lumps everyone into the same bucket and it drives me fuckin' nuts. I would have clients pulling seven figures a year on short lived contracts in their late 50's that insisted on contributing to ROTHs because Dave said so. Right now I have people that are making extra mortgage payments on a 2.9% 30 year note because they're at that step in the program... 5%+ annual inflation rates be damned.

Sometimes it's like dealing with members of the People's Temple. One day Dave's wife is going to bang the mailman and he's going to lose his shit and instruct his followers to drink a cocktail of rat poison and kool-aid to catch the financial freedom space bus to the pearly gates. People will listen and it'll be Jonestown all across America. Tens of thousands will die in the worst mass suicide in American history. You heard it here first.
I never understand the reasoning behind people that make posts like this. Are you people bankers that are losing money on people that are debt free?

If people aren't aware enough to realize the difference, then they should be following Dave's plan.

I agree financial planning should be specific to the client, but your statements are utterly ridiculous. Seven figure incomes don't qualify for a ROTH and there's nothing in Financial Peace that resembles a cult. Ramsey gives solid advice to his target demographics and I know a good many seven figure earners who would benefit from the fundamentals of his program.

I never understand the reasoning behind people that make posts like this. Are you people bankers that are losing money on people that are debt free?

If people aren't aware enough to realize the difference, then they should be following Dave's plan.
Nope. Dave's plan makes my life easier. No tailored tax plan and no liability if something goes awry. Like I said, I'm flat fee. I probably care about this more than I should.
I agree financial planning should be specific to the client, but your statements are utterly ridiculous. Seven figure incomes don't qualify for a ROTH and there's nothing in Financial Peace that resembles a cult. Ramsey gives solid advice to his target demographics and I know a good many seven figure earners who would benefit from the fundamentals of his program.
What's ridiculous? True, the AGI limitation for ROTH contributions is $135k ($199k MFJ,) but there's a loophole commonly referred to as a "back door" ROTH contribution that allows ineligible taxpayers to make a non qualified contribution to a traditional IRA and immediately roll it into a ROTH account, creating a situation virtually identical to if they had contributed to a ROTH directly in the first place. This is a common practice when the pro rata rules don't come into play. It's not some wacky scheme I came up either. It's all over the place.

Like I said, four out of five people would likely benefit from the plan. What bothers me is that it's packaged and marketed as a one size fits all path to managing personal finances. It's not. In my personal experience, Ramsey followers are far and away the most stubborn. It's like the AA of the financial world. YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE STEPS. It's a little nutty... especially the debt snowball bit. That's just retarded any way you do the math. If someone can't figure out how interest rates work they should probably have a legal guardian managing their finances for them.

Again, I was one of two Ramsey CPA ELPs in my metropolitan area. I've dealt with quite a few Ramsey followers over the years and this is just my personal experience preparing returns and doing tax planning for hundreds, maybe thousands of followers. I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios here. Just sharing my experience. If it works for you, great! Keep doing what you're doing. I don't have any skin in the game whatsoever and I have no reason to argue about this over the internet. Just throwing out a little knowledge in the hope that it might benefit someone in that 20%.

After reading and re reading your post I can’t really track with you on parts of it. As someone that was part of that program and one that thinks there is benefit for many, your last paragraph seems to walk that back. I can’t see the specific damage being done to the other 20 percent.
I am not a cpa, no long titles after my name and I don’t have a book of business that provides my income.

I did have a very long time deep into the financial industry where brokers/advisers were dealing with large dollar clients.

the one dynamic I saw with almost every leveraged play was a large misunderstanding on the cost of risk. Personally I don’t know anyone that has a perfect answer on how to quantify that number. So you measure your own risk tolerance and move forward.

Not sure I agree that your 20 percent number is anywhere close to being “damaged”. And if their risk profile is that high then I would think that they have a very good handle how very accurately assess the cost of risk into each investment.

lastly, Ramsey’s approach is not unique to him and the basic math works every time. Most people’s money issue aren’t with some small amount of lost opportunity cost, but rather, behaviors that don’t allow them to secure greater financial freedom. Changing those behaviors is what I think he is really promoting.

After reading and re reading your post I can’t really track with you on parts of it. As someone that was part of that program and one that thinks there is benefit for many, your last paragraph seems to walk that back. I can’t see the specific damage being done to the other 20 percent.
I am not a cpa, no long titles after my name and I don’t have a book of business that provides my income.

I did have a very long time deep into the financial industry where brokers/advisers were dealing with large dollar clients.

the one dynamic I saw with almost every leveraged play was a large misunderstanding on the cost of risk. Personally I don’t know anyone that has a perfect answer on how to quantify that number. So you measure your own risk tolerance and move forward.

Not sure I agree that your 20 percent number is anywhere close to being “damaged”. And if their risk profile is that high then I would think that they have a very good handle how very accurately assess the cost of risk into each investment.

lastly, Ramsey’s approach is not unique to him and the basic math works every time. Most people’s money issue aren’t with some small amount of lost opportunity cost, but rather, behaviors that don’t allow them to secure greater financial freedom. Changing those behaviors is what I think he is really promoting.

Usually older folks that came into money later in life that take a bath with Ramsey. Other times it's people that see a large, but potentially short term spike in income. Right now, pretty much anyone that's making extra payments on a 3% mortgage baffles me. Bad fit's are also generally people that land in the 32% bracket or better or people who are trying to superfund retirement to play catch up. I've never seen people lose out on millions following Ramsey. I've seen quite a few lose hundreds of thousands though. If you want to get into example scenarios and calculations feel free to pm me.

Nothing I've said pertains to making specific investments either. This is solely in reference to different investment vehicles, and these calculations are based primarily on tax and fee savings. You can have the same holdings in a ROTH as in a traditional plan. When calculating out whether or not it makes sense to pay down debt vs invest, I'll usually use a standard 7% rate of return. None of these calculations would wow you.

In about 20% of cases the math just DOESN'T work out. That's my point. If it makes you feel good and sticking to a rigid plan gives you peace of mind, there's value there that I can't assess. I don't understand it, but I respect it. The numbers I can quantify only make sense in maybe four out of five cases.

Usually older folks that came into money later in life that take a bath with Ramsey. Other times it's people that see a large, but potentially short term spike in income. Right now, pretty much anyone that's making extra payments on a 3% mortgage baffles me. Bad fit's are also generally people that land in the 32% bracket or better or people who are trying to superfund retirement to play catch up. I've never seen people lose out on millions following Ramsey. I've seen quite a few lose hundreds of thousands though. If you want to get into example scenarios and calculations feel free to pm me.

Nothing I've said pertains to making specific investments either. This is solely in reference to different investment vehicles, and these calculations are based primarily on tax and fee savings. You can have the same holdings in a ROTH as in a traditional plan. When calculating out whether or not it makes sense to pay down debt vs invest, I'll usually use a standard 7% rate of return. None of these calculations would wow you.

In about 20% of cases the math just DOESN'T work out. That's my point. If it makes you feel good and sticking to a rigid plan gives you peace of mind, there's value there that I can't assess. I don't understand it, but I respect it. The numbers I can quantify only make sense in maybe four out of five cases.
Hey brother, thanks for the reply and your additional detail helps. Not sure we are all that far apart. Do I agree that low cost money is the place to dump discretionary funds? The exact math would say “no” depending on the opportunity cost of other investments. Ramsey or not I think the place I separate from the pure math of those static equations ties back to the cost of risk and ones associated risk tolerance. For any given leveraged investment there is a cost associated with that risk. It’s that specific risk that i have never found to be calculated with any long term high degree of accuracy. And, for many it’s too easy to under estimate that. Granted, some of that cost of risk can be offset when tied to the risk of doing nothing. But I don’t think that is what we are talking about.

I would also agree with your position about playing the retirement catch up game.

In a society where we have an entire industry built on who offers the best credit card offering I think that offers a false choice. To get to an improved level of financial freedom the conversation needs to be shifted to how to get there in a measured way that minimizes that hard to calculate risk factor.
One of the things that has made America great is a strong vibrant middle class. Over spending, debt load(personal and government) taxes etc are killing that financial freedom. To me, getting back to financial literacy is important and if that happens to be Ramsey I am ok with it.
Thanks for sticking up for your perspective. I think we are going to disagree that Ramsey’s plan is bad for 20 percent. And it does seem that we agree on taking a more active role in securing financial freedom is important.
Good conversation

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I've always looked at Ramsey's philosophy as good for people who by themselvss aren't disciplined in their spending or savings habits. If you are using debt to buy depreciating "fun" toys and racking up consumer debt you can't pay off each month, then his philosophy will help you.

But, Debt is a tool. And, tools by themselves are not good or bad. It's how they are used. Used smartly debt can create wealth.

I'm not 40 yet, and my wife and I own 5 houses. One is our families primary residence, 3 are rented, and the last townhouse is current being renovated and will be rented by the end of this calendar year.

I have a couple rules of thumb. When buying a rental I only do so if we can rent out the house for 1% a month of the purchase price. And, I only buy a house that clearly will increase my net worth (value of house - total cost) on day 1 of owning it.

Do we have "alot" of debt by most standards, yes. But, all the assets are worth over 2.5X the total debts AND we get significant cash flow each month as well. We've done this by purchasing 2 foreclosures, 1 short sale, 1 that was a tax lien firesale, and another that was a conventional sale but still a good deal.

We've never had consumer debt, always pay off our credit cards every month, buy good cars and drive them 200K miles then buy slightly used cars to replace them, and buy those with cash.

We do have 401K's but are "behind" based on most metric's people use on how much one "should" have in their 401k.

Using debt to purchase appreciating assets that also generate positive cash flow has significantly improved our financial situation over the last 10 years. Using debt this way is also very much against Ramsey's philosophy.

So, if his philosophy works for you, and it's what you need to make good financial choices, then that's great. Use it.

But, if you're an evangelist to the point where it's the "only" of "best" way and everyone should do it then yeah I don't agree with that.

Hey brother, thanks for the reply and your additional detail helps. Not sure we are all that far apart. Do I agree that low cost money is the place to dump discretionary funds? The exact math would say “no” depending on the opportunity cost of other investments. Ramsey or not I think the place I separate from the pure math of those static equations ties back to the cost of risk and ones associated risk tolerance. For any given leveraged investment there is a cost associated with that risk. It’s that specific risk that i have never found to be calculated with any long term high degree of accuracy. And, for many it’s too easy to under estimate that. Granted, some of that cost of risk can be offset when tied to the risk of doing nothing. But I don’t think that is what we are talking about.

I would also agree with your position about playing the retirement catch up game.

In a society where we have an entire industry built on who offers the best credit card offering I think that offers a false choice. To get to an improved level of financial freedom the conversation needs to be shifted to how to get there in a measured way that minimizes that hard to calculate risk factor.
One of the things that has made America great is a strong vibrant middle class. Over spending, debt load(personal and government) taxes etc are killing that financial freedom. To me, getting back to financial literacy is important and if that happens to be Ramsey I am ok with it.
Thanks for sticking up for your perspective. I think we are going to disagree that Ramsey’s plan is bad for 20 percent. And it does seem that we agree on taking a more active role in securing financial freedom is important.
Good conversation
The risk lies in the individual investment more so than the investment vehicle. For example, If you were dead set on investing your entire life's savings into tesla that's fine. It's not my department and not my concern. I'm more concerned HOW you buy that tesla stock. Is it going to be in a cash balance plan? A ROTH 401k? A regular brokerage account? If you're young and not making much, the ROTH is a home run. If you're old and crushing it that's probably a terrible idea. If you value liquidity and don't mind paying Uncle Sam to preserve that, a brokerage account is probably the way to go. This is where Ramsey falls short. Everybody gets crammed into the same box. Some times it fits, other times it doesn't. My client base is disproportionately wealthy, so maybe the 20% is high. It's a made up number anyway.

My primary goal was to point out that Ramsey's plan is disastrous for some, and it absolutely is. This is independent of the risk/reward associated with any particular investment.. at least it is if we're measuring in terms of dollars and cents, anyway.

I think overall he's done more good than harm for most people. I just wish he would run a little 10 question, multiple choice survey on his site to see if potential subscribers are a good fit.

Best of luck in your financial endeavors.

\

Maybe 20% of people you see, is actually 1% of general population.
Don't forget inflation doesn't always mean increased income for many. Government spending is on an unstoppable rocket ride. Massive taxes are coming. I'm starting to think how to get my money out of tax advantaged accounts now without penalties. This includes just retiring early and doing an SEPP plan.

P.S. make more ammo

Maybe 20% of people you see, is actually 1% of general population.
Don't forget inflation doesn't always mean increased income for many. Government spending is on an unstoppable rocket ride. Massive taxes are coming. I'm starting to think how to get my money out of tax advantaged accounts now without penalties. This includes just retiring early and doing an SEPP plan.

P.S. make more ammo
99% of our population would be best off following Ramsey’s plan? Hahaha. That’s some serious koolaid.

Vinnie is a CPA. Knows finances. Deals with high net worth clients. Understands that you can’t just put everyone in the same bucket. We are all different. Some good with money and understand how it works and some that need help.

I will gladly keep income producing assets with 3% locked mortgage rates heading into inflationary environments. Works for me but I’m also a 1%er I guess.

The main thing Ramsey followers do not understand is flexibility and that every dollar has a rate attached to it. If you are very good at controlling the dollars and what buckets they go in you will accumulate wealth faster with less risk than someone that blindly follows a general program.

You should really speak with a CPA like Vinnie before you make the moves you are considering. If your risk tolerance and time horizon to retirement has drastically changed an accountant and financial advisor would be worth every dollar spent.

Remember not everyone is in the same stage in life, not everyone has the same view on money, not everyone makes rational decisions. We can’t just be dumped in a bucket and expect the same results.

Reactions: NovaHunter
I’d you can’t afford to purchase appreciating assets without debt, then you are doing it wrong.

Im not a Ramsey fanatic, but his point of getting rid of debt and then building wealth is pretty solid.

Paying 3% on anything is dumb if you can buy it cash. If you can’t, then get to the point you can.

99% of our population would be best off following Ramsey’s plan? Hahaha. That’s some serious koolaid.

Vinnie is a CPA. Knows finances. Deals with high net worth clients. Understands that you can’t just put everyone in the same bucket. We are all different. Some good with money and understand how it works and some that need help.

I will gladly keep income producing assets with 3% locked mortgage rates heading into inflationary environments. Works for me but I’m also a 1%er I guess.

The main thing Ramsey followers do not understand is flexibility and that every dollar has a rate attached to it. If you are very good at controlling the dollars and what buckets they go in you will accumulate wealth faster with less risk than someone that blindly follows a general program.

You should really speak with a CPA like Vinnie before you make the moves you are considering. If your risk tolerance and time horizon to retirement has drastically changed an accountant and financial advisor would be worth every dollar spent.

Remember not everyone is in the same stage in life, not everyone has the same view on money, not everyone makes rational decisions. We can’t just be dumped in a bucket and expect the same

Remember not everyone is in the same stage in life, not everyone has the same view on money, not everyone makes rational decisions. We can’t just be dumped in a bucket and expect the same results.
1% ‘er doesn’t mean anything. People are people, period. $10k or $1 Mil+, people tend to spend somewhere near or above the threshold of their means. They also tend to think they are somehow smarter than everybody else😉. It the reason marketing works, it’s the reason there is a credit system. Debt can be a tool, but it is always a prison, and should be viewed at best a necessary and temporary evil. I’ve done it both ways. I’ll never put myself back in prison if I can help it.

Debt and living above one’s means are why you can’t tell your boss to piss off when they demand you take a vaccination you don’t want.

1% ‘er doesn’t mean anything. People are people, period. $10k or $1 Mil+, people tend to spend somewhere near or above the threshold of their means. They also tend to think they are somehow smarter than everybody else😉. It the reason marketing works, it’s the reason there is a credit system. Debt can be a tool, but it is always a prison, and should be viewed at best a necessary and temporary evil. I’ve done it both ways. I’ll never put myself back in prison if I can help it.

Debt and living above one’s means are why you can’t tell your boss to piss off when they demand you take a vaccination you don’t want.
E6D61422-A7BF-4023-B767-220D25F1F11C.gif